s4 engine on a4 box?

ian52

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow
Reaction score
Will an s4 engine bolt up to a 1.8t quattro box?

Thats interesting. Wish i knew that a couple of weeks ago.

Something to keep in mind though is that the s4 has a different bolt patten on the crank for the 240mm fly wheel, you will have to get a new 240mm clutch for the s4 flywheel, you cant use the A4 flywheel

I doubt the a4 clutch could handle the torque anyway.

i doubt the A4 box will be pretty to drive with an S4 engine in front of it.
the torque curve on the turbo V6 will make all the first three gears seem very short I would imagine.

I preparing myself to be corrected by a detailed comparison of A4 to S4 gear ratios though.....

out of interest will an S4 engine fit a 2.4 V6 Tip box?

I reckon the 5spd box would be good. 2nd onwards will be fine. I can't see the ratios being a million miles different. Only thing is I would think is that 5th will be shorter than 6th on the s4 box but again probably not by much.

significantly different

S4 1st: 3.500, 2nd: 1.889, 3rd: 1.231, 4th: 0.967, 5th: 0.806, 6th: 0.684
A4 1st: 3.778, 2nd: 2.176, 3rd: 1.429, 4th: 1.029, 5th: 0.838

The S4 has longer gears in every gear and a significantly higher top speed potential with a lower ratio sixth.
you'll be zipping through gears like a drag racer on amphetamines.

Would be quick getting up to speed then.

Nah but i did see that. Was just thinking about putting a 2.7t in mine but i thought you needed the s4 box as well. Think the engine is gone now anyway. Its a pre facelift engine anyway so i would think i would have needed a facelift s4 loom and ecu to make it go into my car with less hassle.

Its been done over on zine by someone using the 01A box (I think although it might have been a 2.8 box), The final drive on them is different as well, they dont shear diffs. I cant remember if this was good or bad though.

For normal levels of 2.7tt power i dont think its a worthwhile conversion. The stock turbos will do 330ish flat out, and its an absolute pig to work on, and is also a very expensive engine to buy.

A V8 conversion makes far more sense. Cheaper to buy, similar power and much less to go wrong. Its also lighter.