Opinions on this deal: Trading in MK5 Golf for A3 140 TDI Sportback.

Ovv

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Currently hunting for a A3 Sportback:racer: and have just had a callback from the local dealer where I test drove one last week.

Dealer has come back and up'd the trade in price he would give me for the VW. Has offered me 6k in exchange for the A3 140 TDI S line which is sitting on his forecourt at 18k. I have no current finance on the Golf so the cost to change would be 12k which would be taken with Audi Finance on a PCP with a guaranteed value of 7k at the end of the 3 yr term. I would get 1yr warranty and also the two years free servicing offer.

The A3 in question is a 2008 08 plate with 20k on the clock, usual S line spec with leather, however no toys such as cruise, auto lights or auto rain sensor wipers.

6k for the Golf is the top trade-in that I have been offered, other places have offered me in the region of 5k or in some cases less -:ohmy: Seeing as I bought the Golf for 7.8k two years ago, I think 6k is very reasonable for a car thats done 75k and is now coming upto 6 years old. I have advertised it privately but in all honesty I doubt I would bet more than 6.5k for it.

Man, buying cars is ****** stressful.

Thoughts and comments more than welcome,

Cheers

Chris.

Just to give you a guide I recently got 6k for my A3 1.6 Sport auto with a few toys and 70k on the clock and paid an additional 7k for a 2006/55 A3 2.0T petrol S-Line with 21k, BOSE, auto lights and wipers, symphony, rear sensors and DSG.

Personally I think £18k is too much, and a car that age should have a year or so warranty left anyway. I'd be asking for a better deal personally. Just bear in mind it might be better to ask for toys than money off tho. Try pushing for an extra year's warranty, next service free and iPod connection or something

Oh and I dunno how much your day job pays you but figure out whether you'd be better off doing overtime than wasting time trying to sell your car instead of p/x. That's what I do to tell me if a complicated task is cost effective or not

Try asking for two years servicing and two years warranty. Audi warranty is three years anyway so the dealer isn't offering anything there. Also cruise control is an easy and cheap retro-fit so push for that. I did it myself on a 2006 sport for £80 so they should have no problem. Auto lights and wipers is a bit more of a problem because, amongst other things, requires a new windscreen. Are you sure that's a necessity ? Does the car have parking sensors 'cos if not you could ask fro those as a retro-fit ?

At the end of the day it will be up to you but if you have not had an Audi before, and you think you can afford this one, then I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Go for it :yum:

18k is a lot for an 08 sportback. Probably why you get a good P/X on your golf.

Didnt manage to get back to the dealer but a quick look on the Audi website now shows the car priced at £16995. Going to call tomorrow, if they are still going to honour the 6k trade in on the Golf then I might just bite his hand off.

Not too fussed if I cant get one with the auto lights / rain sensors - I managed fine enough without them before I bought the Golf.

How easy is the retro fitting of cruise?, I had mentioned it to the dealer a few times in the conversation hoping that he might have got the hint and offered in the deal.

Anyways, will let you know what happens once I speak to them tomorrow.

Cheers for the feedback so far.

Cruise control very easy to retro-fit. Took me about two hours but that was never having done it before and being ultra careful with airbag etc. etc.

A dealer should do it within the hour and, assuming it has a suitable steering ecu ( which it almost certainly will have ) then the cost of the bits is less than £100.

Good luck

Well, looks like its not happening for me this month.:banghead:

Mrs had a change of heart and decided that she didnt want to be paying out for another loan/finance package, probably brought on by the fact that I couldnt come to a deal with the dealership. They had up'd the trade in value of the Golf, but over the weekend dropped the price of the A3 by 1k but were still looking for the original price of 18k when trading in the Golf, just couldnt be bothered to try and strike a deal even though I had mentioned that I noticed that the price had dropped.

Dunno what to do now, agree with dealers being overpriced but they are the only ones giving me a good price on trade in.

They give you more for your car, but they just stick this on top of the car you are buying ! Simple.

Best thing to do is buy a car and they sell yours private. Problem people have is laying out the cash for a new car in the first place. Have you not considered selling the golf privately then buying a cheap run around until you find a car you want at the right price ?

18k is a lot for a 08 Sportback I paid 15k for my 07 170 tdi quattro with 40k on the clock came with bixenons, audi exclusive leather, parking sensors, 18" split rims, Bose and some other bits.

If i were you I'd try to sell your golf private or if you know anyone in the car trade ask them to sell it for you and make a comission thats what i did with my Golf mine was an 05 with 68k on the clock and i got 9k for it.

There are a lot of well specced Sportbacks out there I got mine from Audi Stafford and managed to get another £600 knocked off the asking price as they priced it up wrong on Autotrader and agreed to honner the price.

Chris

Thats the ideal solution but unfortunately for me the Wife isnt keen, as we did the same a few years ago thinking we could get more privately than trading in, car sat for ages and ended up selling it for less than what we could have got on the trade in.

Guess my Impreza could be classed as cheap run around, but the wife isnt getting to drive that.. lol.

Thinking of looking at this instead, older car but uber low miles -

AUDI A3 2.0 TDi 170 S Line, 5 Doors, Manual 6 speed, Hatchback, Diesel, 2007 07 Reg, 11,904 miles, Metallic Bright Silver, 1 Owner. Black Leather Upholstery, I Pod interface lead, Privacy Glass, Full Audi History - £15995

Comments welcome.

that isnt a bad price because of the low miles it has done just give you an idea in work we have a 08 plate 2.0tdi sline in red with 56.000 on the clock and that is £13.700 with leather so have you thought of going for a higher mileage car as they are cheaper we have also got an 09 plate new shape sport sportback 2.0tdi 170 with 15.000 miles on the clock for £16.500 so there is cheaper cars out there 18k is alot for an 08 plate car

Last edited:
that isnt a bad price because of the low miles it has done just give you an idea in work we have a 08 plate 2.0tdi sline in red with 56.000 on the clock and that is £13.700 with leather so have you thought of going for a higher mileage car as they are cheaper we have also got an 09 plate new shape sport sportback 2.0tdi 170 with 15.000 miles on the clock for £16.500 so there is cheaper cars out there 18k is alot for an 08 plate car

Cheers for the info, its nice to see what otehr places are selling them at. Ive always said that there are better deals down south, however at the moment prices are only about £400/£500 cheaper so not worth the travel imo.

Bought the Golf when it was at 50k, thats the highest mileage car I had bought to date and knew that lots of commuting would rac up the miles. Although I now travel by train, I'd rather have something low mileage.

cheers for the link, the 09 plate new shape sport sportback 2.0tdi 170 with 15.000 miles on the clock for £16.500 is interesting. Still hell of a distance to travel for a motor though, saying that I did do Aberdeen to Southampton to buy a Leon many moons ago. Also promised myself Leather.