Flywheel and turbo on Audi A3 2.0 tdi DSG

brettsh555

Reaction score
Hello

My A3 hasn't been starting recently until it has turned over 4/5 times on some occassions, but does start first time on others. This is intermittent and doesn't necessarily happen when it's cold. In fact, it seems to start straight away first thing in the morning and seems to struggle more when I start it later in the day when the engine is warmer. I booked it in for diagnostics at an Audi dealership today and £145 later they tell me it needs a new flywheel at £1200, as it seizes intermittently.

On top of this I have noticed a squeeling noise when accelerating at low revs, which Audi tell me is the turbo as it is leaking some oil. They quoted an additional £1250 to fit a new turbo :faint:

Has anyone had one or both of these problems or can anyone advise whether there is a fix for this, without a new flywheel and turbo having to be fitted.

Thanks

Hello,
I am fighting with Audi at the moment regarding my A3 2.0 tdi DSG 2006 with 47k on the clock, I had stalling problems and £129.00 later on the diagnostics machine
they said no problems were found but you need a new flywheel?? they asked if I heard any noises which I havent. The manual A3 was recalled with the flywheel problem but the auto hasnt!
I was told I could drive the car until the noise got on my nerves, and would cost me £1,100.00 to repair, my turbo unit also went but was replaced under warranty two years ago. .

I really dont have a leg to stand on as my car is now out of warranty. what year is your car? maybe there is a problem with the auto too? but dont know what steps to take without forking out large amounts of money. Has anyone else had problems?????

My A3 hasn't been starting recently until it has turned over 4/5 times on some occassions, but does start first time on others. This is intermittent and doesn't necessarily happen when it's cold. In fact, it seems to start straight away first thing in the morning and seems to struggle more when I start it later in the day when the engine is warmer. I booked it in for diagnostics at an Audi dealership today and £145 later they tell me it needs a new flywheel at £1200, as it seizes intermittently.

On top of this I have noticed a squeeling noise when accelerating at low revs, which Audi tell me is the turbo as it is leaking some oil. They quoted an additional £1250 to fit a new turbo :faint:

Has anyone had one or both of these problems or can anyone advise whether there is a fix for this, without a new flywheel and turbo having to be fitted.

Ok 1st thing is the starter is synonymous for these cars in when getting warm as known as HEAT SOAK from the gearbox heat, it doesnt start to well, I've proved this myself with various starters on 3 of these cars now, stuck a new one in a mates car when his went & tested my one in his car to prove this & it was indeed this issue, now its not to say this is your issue but its £130 exchange part (on our 3 bkd/bmn engines) & it will certainly start better IMHO & you can swap it yourself if you have a socket set, so even diag cost at audi is more than starter swapout, this overall issue has been apparent on vag cars & many others for years from what I've read anyway.

I'm suspicious of flywheel siezing tbh, if it was siezed it wouldnt attempt to turn over as it wouldnt move huh & I'm sure yours is turning over isnt it?, siezed means stuck unless I'm mistaken, change starter 1st then see if it helps, hey could be just that.

Turbo squeal doesnt neccessarily mean yours is gonna go, are you experiencing any power losses, limp modes, anything noticable, any smoke changes?

sorry dragging up an old thread but ive had the exact same problems and my cousin who works in a garage said it sounds like the flywheel tbh and got bad issues with the starter motor also my turbo has now decided to make a different noise and turbo doesnt properly kick in untill 2krevs now,,thanks!

On what engine/year, need specifics.

Boost doesnt really hit until about 2400 anyway so what exactly do you mean by turbo not kicking in?

If its an 03-08 2.0 tdi it could very well be sticking internals mechanisms, whereabouts are you located?

Audi a3 2.0tdi 2004
and mines usually starts to pull at 1750 but know its doing later at about 2000revs
and I'm from Worksop

Hi guys I have an audi a3 8p (2006)one day I hopped in the car and it has little power the previous owner had the flywheel done but it feels like the clitch is slipping as it would rev then go for it.

Any ideas?