Any such thing as 1.6 Quattro Sport?

jbw

Reaction score
Website
www.anotheragenda.com
I bought an A3 about 2 months ago and was told when I bought it there had been some confusion with the engine size. Even though it is registered with the DVLA as a 1.6 sport when the previous owner bought it from an Audi garage the audi guy told him it was in fact a 1.8 sport. There isn't a badge on the back nor is there anything under the hood (that I could see) to verify what size the engine is. On the front grill is the little quattro logo and from searching the web and looking in Parker's car guide I can't find an Audi 1.6 quattro sport model? Can anyone offer suggestions so I can get to the bottom of this mystery (and make sure my insurance isn't void). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Many thanks,
jbw

Check the engine code. You will be able to work out the engine size from this.

Cheers
Rich.

Do you have the service book? IF not there is a sticker in the boot that will have all the info you need like the engine number/size, VIN etc. I'm 100% sure there was never a 1.6 quattro - it wouldn't pull the extra weight LOL. My guess is that it is a 1.6 Sport with a quattro badge on the grill.

No I don't think they made a 1.6 quattro sport. I don't think they made a NA engine 1.8 quattro sport either. You'll know very quickly if you've got a quattro .. try and wheel spin the wheels, if the fronts just wheel spins then someones stuck a badge on the front.

Telling the difference between 1.6 and 1.8 will require the engine codes.

The quattro grille badge is also usually low down on the left-hand side of the grille so that one has definitely been added.

Genuine quattros also have a quattro badge moulded onto the outside of the glovebox lid.

hey mines got a quattro glove box and its a 1.6 but then again i know its def not a quattro lol

Quick way to tell if it's a Quattro from the outside.... look through the rear wheels or at the rear suspension over the wheel. If the suspension is setup perpendicular to the road (i.e. same basic setup as the front) then it is NOT a Quattro. Quattro A3's have opposing spring/shocks where the shocks go from the hub back up towards the rear of the car, and the springs sit towards the front.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jbw said:
I'm gonna go take a look at the engine code... is that easy to find?

A larger pic of it can be found in this thread (if that helps):

My A3

ta,
jbw

[/ QUOTE ]

The easiest place to find out your engine code is on the Vehicle Data Sticker... You should have one on the inside of your spare-wheel bay in the boot (nearest corner to your right-knee if you stand looking into the boot) - there's also one on the inside-front cover of your Service Record.

The engine code is there, along with exact vehicle number, model description, gearbox code, and three-letter codes for any other factory-fitted equipment your car has.

Post your eninge code up on here and one of us will be able to tell you for certain what engine you've got... Also for the record... I believe the 3-door 8L-A3 production models (petrol) were something like this...

1.6, 1.6 Sport, 1.6 SE
1.8, 1.8 Sport, 1.8 SE
1.8T, 1.8T Sport, 1.8T SE
1.8T Quatrro-Sport (don't think base and SE trim versions were available?)
S3 Quattro (1.8T)

Regards,

Rob.

Hmmm... found my service book by the spare in the boot? God knows what it was doing there.

It states engine output is 1.6 and (I believe) the engine code is AKL - is this the right code?

ta,
jbw