1.8T - EPC light, no throttle response, irratic idle

technics100

Reaction score
Drove 7 miles from work this evening as normal and stopped at Lidl, came out and it took 2 goes to start the car. 2nd time it started, EPC light came on and it had no throttle response.. revs just idled between 1k and 1.4k with lumpy idol. limped another 3 miles home like that riding the clutch.. turned it off at the house and back on and it fired up fine. except the battery light was on.. tried it again shortly after and battery light was off. Just scanned it with VCDS and got the following codes: Cleared them and they didn't come back and car seems back to normal..

Anyone any ideas..?

Wednesday,09,November,2016,20:44:34:60297
VCDS Version: Release 16.8.3 (x64) Running on Windows 10 x64
www.Ross-Tech.com

Address 01: Engine Labels: 06B-906-018-AVJ.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 8E0 909 518 AL HW: 8E0 909 018 A
Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT 0003
Software Coding: 0011504
Work Shop Code: WSC 00672 785 00200
VCID: 7AFB95983634D092F2-5140
3 Faults Found:

16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake)
P0011 - 002 - ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced) - Intermittent
17925 - Power Supply Relay for ECU
P1517 - 008 - Electrical Malfunction - Intermittent
18080 - Coolant Fan Control 1
P1672 - 004 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent

Readiness: 0000 0000

Thanks, so are you thinking it was maybe a loose connection? Is the ECU located under the scuttle panel on the drivers side of the car?

PS - it's been fine since.. no more issues driving yesterday or today.. I was possibly thinking loose battery connection? earth etc?

I'd be checking for water ingress round the ECU box. Did you have any really heavy showers prior to this fault? If water doesn't get into the ECU the fuse box is directly below it. When I got my car I removed the wiper scuttle etc and the ECU top cover, you wouldn't believe the amount of dirt that gather behind the ECU box, this in turn attracts moisture, it really isn't a good design

i had this very same issue as quattrocalum mentioned i had nearly 3 litres of water in compartment where battery sits, blocked drain holes, removed ecu cover bone dry but water has got down behind it and onto pedal, carpet also wet in drivers footwell as a result my pedal is throwing a code and needs replacing

A colleague had this happen on a TT, it took out the ECU, over £1000 for replacement ECU.

Cheers guys, yes it had been raining all day.. I tried to have a look at the ECU, but it seems to be a wiper off job, so didn't have time. will get a look when I can.. it's been fine ever since!!

Car was left into my local garage for a rocker cover gasket, so got them to check the drain holes - full of leaves!! so they are cleared out.. hopefully no more of that nonsense from now on!!