arrrgghhhh window trouble

skipper

Reaction score
hi every1 im a newbie to this great looking site. i have an a3 1.8t 99 v plate. drivers window always been dodgy will go up when push the button then back down on its own,:mad: you have to push it up as you have the button pressed in order for it to go all the way up otherwise it just goes back down? today passenger side has started similar but goes up fine then couple of seconds later goes down about 6 inches and stays there until you push it up. think its possibly the regulators or could it be the motor?

Hi Skipper, welcome to the site, good luck with the car...

Also, you will get a better response if you post in the appropriate thread, as alot more people will look in there and are more likely to respond there....

Cheers
Nilz

skipper, my A6 did that after my wife pushed down on the window glass while leaning out to put money in a toll booth. She broke the plastic clip that holds the window glass to the regulator (winding) mechanism. We had to help the window up to the top in the same way you are.

When one of these clips breaks the window isn't lifted evenly and the extra friction means the motor struggles to lift the glass. The blockage detection system then thinks there's something blocking the window so it winds it down a short distance to allow you to release the blockage.

You can't buy the plastic clips from dealers but I bought a pair on eBay for ten quid. It's a bit of a faff to replace them but it solved the problem when I managed it. I can't find any on eBay at the moment though. There used to be loads. Worth asking at your dealer.

thanks for the advice guys. will also try posting in the other threads for more advice