Totally gutted - new A4 Sline had repair work

markhall

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this forum having picked up my 3 month old A4 this afternoon only to bring it home to find that the entire passenger side has been painted!!!!!
The car that I've bought was the old car that of the salesam I was delaing with (at the main Audi center). He said that it had been 'his baby' and was never abused etc which I stupidly fell for.
Anyway, after bringing the car home earlier on and giving it a wash, there's paint missing from the rear passenger side door, beneath the trim (wherethe s=line badge sits). It's been sprayed without doubt, and I have traced the 'masking tape lines back into the door seams etc. The paint isnt actually missing, rather than not enough paint has been applied to the reapir work and I see the white primer coming through.The passenger front, rear and both wings have had paint and I'm absolutely gutted - I cant believe I didnt see it.

What can i do - I paid £23k for this car - some advice would be REALLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

First off welcome to the forum.

If I were you Id be straight back down there to find out why the car had been re-sprayed. I would have thought if it was due to damage which you havnt been told about you would have good grounds to kick up a fuss. Is there not some kind of cooling off period when buying cars?

They should sort it for you if theres been a problem with it.

The salesman may have said it was "his baby", but did you ask/did he catagorically say that it had not been repaired or been in an accident?

Thanks for the replys so quickly.

Petewon - thanks for the Welcome, pity its on such a negative subject! I'm going to go in for a chat tomorrow morning with the regional branch (the local branch closes on Sunday unfortunately). Fingers crossed.

SamDude - no i didnt ask that question specifically, however he did state that the car is immaculate. I've looked at the consumer rights web site and it specifically states that the vehicle must be :

"Of satisfactory quality. It must meet the standard a reasonable person would regard as acceptable, bearing in mind the way it was described, how much it cost, the age and the mileage on the vehicle. Amongst other things, this covers the appearance and finish of the car, its safety and its durability. The car must be free from defects, except when they were pointed out to you by the seller."

The good bit for me here is that this covers the appearence and finish of the car - which is where it fails (at least in my view).

Again, thanks both for your input - much appreciated

Mark

I had something similar with mine after six months (laquer coming off the rear panel) I went back to the stealer and they said they did not spot it which is ******** as they have a hundred odd point check on the vehicle by the so-called technicians,my lot had it resprayed but I have to admit I'm still not happy with how they turned me over and am never using the tossers again

Hello & :sign_welcome: to the site.

Hiya mate - firstly welcome...

Yep take care back and confront the salesman, you have many legal rights when you buy from a garage, I would just give the car back get my money back and go else where. You can base your argument on being misinformed on the history of the car and the fact that you were not informed on the paintwork. Tell him you will be seeking legal advice and that your seeing your solicitor re this... good luck

Can't you hand back an Audi approved car within 14 days or 1000 miles? I'm sure this was pointed out to me when I bought mine.....

If you ain't happy with it take it back!

:jester: Hi there welcome to the forum, I'm quite new myself but already love this site.

I used to work for Audi for a short while and I would say go back to Audi straight away with no delay! If they seem to bullsh1t even slightly kick off! At the end of the day you paid £23 for your car so it better be good.

That's what I think anyway.

On another note some of us on this site are trying to organise a Audi meet down in Guildford for either the 23rd or 30th June, both days are Saturdays. Please click on the link below and post on that thread what dates you could make.

I think this could be the start of something beautiful!

:idea: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=38644:idea:

markhall said:
Hi,

I'm new to this forum having picked up my 3 month old A4 this afternoon only to bring it home to find that the entire passenger side has been painted!!!!!
The car that I've bought was the old car that of the salesam I was delaing with (at the main Audi center). He said that it had been 'his baby' and was never abused etc which I stupidly fell for.
Anyway, after bringing the car home earlier on and giving it a wash, there's paint missing from the rear passenger side door, beneath the trim (wherethe s=line badge sits). It's been sprayed without doubt, and I have traced the 'masking tape lines back into the door seams etc. The paint isnt actually missing, rather than not enough paint has been applied to the reapir work and I see the white primer coming through.The passenger front, rear and both wings have had paint and I'm absolutely gutted - I cant believe I didnt see it.

What can i do - I paid £23k for this car - some advice would be REALLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

mark
i had a similar experience with a 3 year old a4 2.5 tdi avant i bought from peterborough Audi a couple of years ago. i didnt notice the paintwork (also all of 1 side plus bumper) until i polished it 3 weeks later. phoned them, then visited them. They first of all offered to repaint it (er, no thanks), before offering to find a replacement vehicle. I told them that i would accept a replacement if they found one within a week otherwise i wanted my 15k back.
It was silver, black buffalino, cruise, bose ,6 CD avant sport. Needless to say, they couldn't find one, they tried offering me alternatives(that were nowhere near!) before giving me a FULL refund.
Stand your groung and get back there. You would not epect it even if buying privately, let alone from a dealer!!