Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    6th Gear

Status

PS3 not reading discs?

Hi

Just wondering if any of you can help my PS3 stopped reading discs.
    I've tried PS3 games, DVDs and CDs no luck Im guessing its the lense? Expensive?
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

2. # ADS
    ADS

events moderator

Status
    no idea soz ash have you had a look online to see if anyone has had a similar problem , take a look on ebay you might be able to buy a new or second hand disc drive , my sisters boyfriend did it for his xbox 360
    ​She is back on the road yay!!

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    Did it just happen suddenly?
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

2nd Gear

Status
    My nephew had same problem - he was lucky - he took it back to the shop he bought it from under warranty. FTW they have increased the shelf life of warranties on the PS3

5th Gear

Status
    my first PS3 did the same (the fat one). i think to send it off to sony and have it repaired is £120+ or it was at the time i was looking at getting mine repaired.

i know a few people who's PS3 have done the same thing aswell.

i just backed up all my saved data to an external device and got the slim line, haven't had a problem with this one.
    Audi A3 8L 1.8T breaking.
    front bumper, impact bar, slam panel, full engine and loom sold.
    everything else for sale.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gops View Post
    Did it just happen suddenly?
    Yeah was playing it the day before and turned it on thursday and wouldnt pick up any disc's.

Quote Originally Posted by jay1601 View Post
    my first PS3 did the same (the fat one). i think to send it off to sony and have it repaired is £120+ or it was at the time i was looking at getting mine repaired.

i know a few people who's PS3 have done the same thing aswell.

i just backed up all my saved data to an external device and got the slim line, haven't had a problem with this one.
    Hmm i got the fat one think i'll see how much it costs to repair if too much just buy a slim line one.
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

Top Gear!

Status
    It's most likely the disc reader lens as you first guessed. I know a few people this has happened to, and outside warranty may just cost too much to have repaired, you might be able to get a bit of money from it if you fence it off on fleabay saying theres an issue with the disc reader though!

4th Gear

Status
    If the drive wont read l would suggest getting a new one, while your in their upgrade your hdd as well. fat is best. slim doesnt have enough usb ports.

5th Gear

Status
    dont dispair - its the laser - you can buy the new laser unit on ebay for abotu £40 - if you are ok at electronics/dismantling, its not hard to change. You need to identify which laser you have..
    There are a few types -
    the fat original ps 3 uses the basic laser and is probably the easiest to change.
    Plenty of guides on youtube - just search ps3 laser replacement -

I have 3 ps3's - one failed completely (yellow flashing light) - which i fixed with the heat gun fix and then the laser went later which I also replaced.
    Porsche 997 Carrera 4 S - Black, Sport Chrono, Sport seats, PCM, Nav, Tel, Park assist and rear wiper (Yes!, its an option!)
    2012 Audi Q7 Sline Plus - Daytona Grey ,Nav+, Wheel upgrade, Storage and tow pack.

Gone -2007 S5 4.2 ,2008 S3, 2007 TTC 3.2, 2007 RS4 Saloon, 2004 S4 Saloon, 2006 A4 2.0T Sline SE,2002 A3 3.2 Sline, 2001 A4 1.8T,2001 Boxster, 1983 911SC,1992 Corrado G60,1988 GTi.

(Vag com owner)