can anyone help

ianh

Reaction score
audi a4 cabriolet b6,2005.owned it for 2 years with no problems,when i got it i fitted a smart top module and everything has been fine.
since the sunshine has come out i have dropped my roof but noticed that the remote part of dropping and raising the roof hasnt been working so i have been doing it via the switch.anyhow today i removed the side trim to gain access to the modules and now my roof wont work at all,up or down.run a scan and this is what comes up.........

Monday,12,April,2010,17:52:49:18211
VCDS Version: Release 908.1

Address 26: Auto Roof Labels: 8H0-959-255.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 8H0 959 255
Component and/or Version: VSG B6 CABRIO 6389
Software Coding:
Work Shop Code: WSC 00672 785 00200
7 Faults Found:

01317 - Control Module in Instrument Cluster (J285)
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
01330 - Central Control Module for Central Convenience (J393)
01331 - Door Control Module; Driver Side (J386)
01332 - Door Control Module; Passenger Side (J387)
01334 - Door Control Module; Rear Right (J398)
01333 - Door Control Module; Rear Left (J388)
00466 - Control Module for Steering Column Electronics (J527)

Monday,12,April,2010,18:02:02:18211
VCDS Version: Release 908.1

Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: 8E0-959-433-MAX.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 8H0 959 433 H
Component and/or Version: Komfortger·t T3B 4035
Software Coding: 06891
Work Shop Code: WSC 00029
Additional Info: 8H2959802B Tırsteuer.FS BRM 3020
Additional Info: 8H2959801B Tırsteuer.BF BRM 3020
Additional Info: 8H0959801A Tırsteuer.HL BRM 0002
Additional Info: 8H0959802A Tırsteuer.HR BRM 0002
7 Faults Found:

01370 - Alarm triggered by Interior Monitoring
35-00 - -
01371 - Alarm triggered by Door Contact Switch; Driver's Side
35-00 - -
01366 - Opened Due to Crash Signal
36-10 - Open Circuit - Intermittent
00956 - Key 2
35-10 - - - Intermittent
00830 - Convertible Top Control Module (J256)
49-00 - No Communications
00934 - Electric Window Motor; Rear Left (V26)
62-10 - No or Incorrect Adjustment - Intermittent
00935 - Electric Window Motor; Rear Right (V27)
62-10 - No or Incorrect Adjustment - Intermittent

can anyone give me any pointers where to start looking for the fault?

welcome to the site, you mention you have the smartop fitted, i have the kufatec version myself, the kufatec one give you 2 options/ 2 modules, one is for remote closure from fob, one is to expand useage of the button in the car. the remote module is tapped in in the drivers door, the button module in the rear quater.
is this the same set up on the smartop ?
have you double checked the connections where they are tapped into the cabus ? as it seem strange having no signals / comms.
have you tried a manual reset of the roof ?
have you cleared the faults and tried again ?
are all your windows working as they should ?
is the roof icon illuminating on the dash when the button is activated ?
any message shown in your dis whilst trying to operate roof ?
is the compartment in boot in correct position.?

sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a better understanding of extent of fault.

thanks for the reply,the smartop is just a single module that splices into the wiring adjacent to the roof module in the rear inner wing,i have checked all connections in that area but there is a self diagnosis led in the unit and that is functioning as it should which shows the communication and function as being ok

tried the manual reset of the roof 3 times but no joy.

faults have been cleared 3 times again but come back straight away.

the windows are playing silly buggers to be honest,from the window switch they work as should but when the roof switch is pressed they arent moving,however if i keep operating the roof switch my passenger side front window has on occasions gone down and on other occasions all the windows have gone down.

the dash roof icon isnt lit or flashing....when i turn the ignition on its lit then it goes out,when i operate the switch it doesnt light though.

no message in the dis.

boot compartment is in correct position.

another strange thing i noticed is that the boot unlock is also playing up at the same time as this happened.

what attracted my attention to this was when i noticed the roof wasnt working remotely i read the instructions for the smartop and to programme it the first stage is to put it into programme mode,this is done by keeping your finger on the interior door unlock button for a few seconds till the indicators flash once,then you use the roof switch either up or down to set the functions.the indicators arent flashing when i am holding the unlock button though so i cant get it into the programme mode.

i am a mechanic but i have allways kept away from electrical faults sticking only to mechanical,however with it being my own car and not a customers i need to persevere.appreciate all help.

sounds to me like there is a break in the system somewhere, firstly id remove the switch and test with multimeter, then id remove the smartop modlue and try roof then when its back to normal.
id say on info given that your canbus isnt working correctly, broken wire, faulty switch, faulty module etc etc .
like i say remove and put back standard and see if all works correctly then.

up in manchester.i have tried a spare switch that i had knocking about and it doesnt alter anything,this afternoon i will remove the smartop module and see if thats whats causing it.found a great site with information about the various modules which i am sure would be fantastic information if i could understand it,i will link it here just for other peoples benefit,just choose car model and select module. http://www.audi-portal.com/en/diagnostic/ecu_11469.html#1

Good find!
Check out the Sensors & Actuator sections, you can select the part and it will show where this is located.
Also the ECU section gives details of the different modules and the options available in each. Very similar to VCDS but with the benefit of being able to check on the options off-line. There are some useful diagnostic sections in there as well.

The site is worth bookmarking for future reference.

well i ended up finding a broken wire on the canbus coming out of the smartop module,the outer sheath was in place but the wire inside was broken,fixed that and my roof worked on the switch inside the car but still wouldnt work on the remote.removed the module again and stripped it down,on one of the pins i found a burned out track so bridged it and reassembled,once refitted everythings working as it should without any fault codes.......result !! thanks for the help.

cheers blacky, nice to know youve got my back. lmfao
keep your eyes peeled though mate, im sure a mistake will be along shortly, im putting it down to old age lol.

you ok mate, done any changes yourself lately or just to busy wipein my ar=e. lmfao