1.6 tuning help

blackshadow

Reaction score
hi my friend owns a 1600 cc a4 whats the best way forwards for tune it up abit i have thought exhurst chip and induction kit would be the way to go ??? any help would be appreciated :)

allso who dose chipping for this engine ? and what sort of power will it make?

I'm afraid you going to have to spend a whole heap of money for pretty much nothing in return. Put the cash aside and save for a better base for modifying.

Why they produced 1.6 A4's or even A3's is beyond me.

madvw said:
I'm afraid you going to have to spend a whole heap of money for pretty much nothing in return. Put the cash aside and save for a better base for modifying.

Why they produced 1.6 A4's or even A3's is beyond me.

well thanks ill let him know i guess that its all show and no go then lol :) he should have bought honda lol:arco:

blackshadow said:
well thanks ill let him know i guess that its all show and no go then lol :) he should have bought honda lol:arco:

nah, they're OK, they're just not fast or easily modified.

at least he'll be comfortable...

madvw said:
nah, they're OK, they're just not fast or easily modified.

at least he'll be comfortable...

lol ok mate i beg to differ my civic has a 1.8 un turbo'd engine that producse 167bhp standard and is alot easyer to mod than the audi "dont take afence but ive the better car":hubbahubba: plus ive the addvantage on reliabilty too lol but the audi dose look good :asskicking:

sorry, I meant that the 1.6 wasn't fast or easily modified...

hondas have that cheap tacky interrior and the engine is torqueless , max bhp at 6500 - 7000 rpm not impressed even if it does give 100bhp/litre, though i wreckon they are good econo boxes they give good mpg and have that vtec extra cam for the high rpm its a good idea for that application..
i like the mazdas like the mps saloon and rx8, and the 1.6 a4 is a pile of sh*t it can't be tuned i think its the econo version of the range, cheap and comfortable. better of getting a turbo power is easily got, audi tend to underpower there cars, using small turbo's low boost for longevity i think. quattro is awesome on the a4's he'd be best saving for a 1.8tq rather than wasting money a 1.6..

dummi said:
hondas have that cheap tacky interrior and the engine is torqueless , max bhp at 6500 - 7000 rpm not impressed even if it does give 100bhp/litre, though i wreckon they are good econo boxes they give good mpg and have that vtec extra cam for the high rpm its a good idea for that application..
i like the mazdas like the mps saloon and rx8, and the 1.6 a4 is a pile of sh*t it can't be tuned i think its the econo version of the range, cheap and comfortable. better of getting a turbo power is easily got, audi tend to underpower there cars, using small turbo's low boost for longevity i think. quattro is awesome on the a4's he'd be best saving for a 1.8tq rather than wasting money a 1.6..

well i would agree that the 1.6 is a little torqueless but my 1.8 is ok below the vtec kick in :) allthough the 1.8 is heaver and is a little slower to 60 than the 1.6 :sob: and the 96 -00 interiour is no more tacky than the audi a4s so u must be talking about the 1.6 again i would agree but hay that is a small price to pay for what essentially a car that is really good on fual a is a wolf in sheeps clothing or in my brother in laws words a grandad car lol btw he has the 1.6 version vti u must driv e it before you pass jugment thanks for your kind words mate.:respekt:

ps the rev limit is not 7000rpm its 8300 :)

i think that applys to the 1.9tdi engines the 90bhp version. which mine was its useless without a remap.

DIPS_A4 said:
i think that applys to the 1.9tdi engines the 90bhp version. which mine was its useless without a remap.

its turbocharged so you have some potential there for upgrades

rickparmar said:
so people like me can buy a 1.6 so we can get insured on it

tbh, that was more aimed at the 8P 1.6's.. my brother inlaw has a 8L 1.6, and that is suprisingly fast.....even with 3 up. On the other hand i had a 1.6 8P as a courtesy car, and it was the slowest POS i had the misfortune to drive.... I cannot even begin to think what a 1.6 A4 is like...

stop being such snobs against the 1.6

it has obviously been designed for people who cannot afford insurance on anything greater. its a very cheap car to run. and as a honda civic vti owner, it's not alot slower.

to be honest for 2k a 1.6 a3 is a bargain!

7-8k for a heavy S3 is a rip. from what i have observed on this forum it goes wrong an awful lot. then costs an arm and a leg to fix. not to mention for something with 225bhp it doesnt particularly shift either.

which is why i'm going back to jap cars after this audi, they have SO much more personality too.

Sam-K said:
stop being such snobs against the 1.6

it has obviously been designed for people who cannot afford insurance on anything greater. its a very cheap car to run. and as a honda civic vti owner, it's not alot slower.

to be honest for 2k a 1.6 a3 is a bargain!

7-8k for a heavy S3 is a rip. from what i have observed on this forum it goes wrong an awful lot. then costs an arm and a leg to fix. not to mention for something with 225bhp it doesnt particularly shift either.

which is why i'm going back to jap cars after this audi, they have SO much more personality too.

the thread is a year old mate lol

I'm loving the irony of these two statements:

dummi said:
hondas have that cheap tacky interrior and the engine is torqueless

i like the mazdas like the mps saloon and rx8,

RX8?
That's not exactly a torque monster with a high class interior, now is it?
It's all revs and go grunt.
And the interior isn't going to have BMW or Audi shaking with fear.

Not dissimilar to Hondas really...

But you like that. Ironic, don't you think?

You're reviving a 1 year old thread to say that you're leaving the audi fold after owning a 10 year old 1.6 A3?

Don't forget 90% of people only post here to solve a problem too.

2k on a 1.6 A3 is pretty decent as well. We've already concluded that the 8L was an alright motor. Its the 8P you have to steer clear of.

Ahh...but to follow on this revived thread...
The 8P 1.6 has a far better chassis than the 8L and so is much faster point to point...in fact, in many ways, the 1.6 8P is the nicest to drive of the 8Ps because the front is so light that it understeers less!

Ess_Three said:
Ahh...but to follow on this revived thread...
The 8P 1.6 has a far better chassis than the 8L and so is much faster point to point...in fact, in many ways, the 1.6 8P is the nicest to drive of the 8Ps because the front is so light that it understeers less!

less understeer yes, but only just!

faster point to point? even the NA 1.8 would be at its destination before the 1.6 had gotten out of second gear! I honestly dont know how they managed to make it so slow.

I remember reading in EVO magazine that they reckoned the best TT was the 150 bhp fwd version as it was lighter resulting in less understeer.

Still a crap car though. :think:

My old A4 Avant was a 1.6 and that thing got the pasting of it's life and could be made to get the tail out at will. Superb fun, if a little slow. It was purchased as I simply needed a runabout with big boot to accomodate the missus horse stuff (saddles are bulky things). It did its job very well for almost 3 years.

Can't do much/anything with them to get power out I just plomped for a drilled airbox and K&N panel (later of which proved more trouble than it was worth by fouling the MAF).