6.5 Components in A3 doors?

nyzrox

Reaction score
Hi all,

Will be a A3 owner soon just checking a few things before as i may need to make some changes to more ICE setup.

Can 6.5 Comps fit in the doors of A3, do you need adapters or will custom pods be required to be made?

My comps have a mountnig depth of 85mm so there quite big!

Can someone please let me know, and be kind enough to photo the A3 door card so i can have a see and work some things out before my purchase.

Were talking about A3 models BEFORE 2003 so 52 reg and before.

Thanks,
Kyle:happy:

First of all, just wanted to say there is an ICE section for questions like these. You will need adaptors to mount your 6.5" mids, if you are worried about the depth, get some custom MDF adaptors made up, you need room for the windows to come down and go past it.

Andymac should be along with a more definitive answer later.

Even 5.25" components are a squeeze and you only have 55mm mounting depth. So a big No to 6.5" units. They're mounted to flimsy doorcard as well, so quality will be really limited no matter what you fit.
But yes you need adapter rings whatever you fit.
This is a shot of the space you have to play with bearing in mind the stock speakers & hole shown below is only 4":
A3DoorPanelSpeakerLo-1.jpg

Grrrrrr

How the hell am i ment to have decent audio now!

Thanks for your help guys looks like il sell my components :sob:

There RE XXX Components aswell! There must be a way to get 6.5" in the door, dont want them things like on the floor.

Il wait till i get a A3 and maybe custom the door card myself.

nyzrox said:
Grrrrrr

How the hell am i ment to have decent audio now!

Thanks for your help guys looks like il sell my components :sob:

There RE XXX Components aswell! There must be a way to get 6.5" in the door, dont want them things like on the floor.

Il wait till i get a A3 and maybe custom the door card myself.

I'm sure I've seen 'Custom' made doorcards for A3 fitment to house larger mids, you can possibly buy them off the shelf.

Here is a a pic of door build that markb brought for his A3, taken from one of his old threads.

a3doorbuilds01.jpg

Ive emailed MarkB as i saw them forsale on TalkAudio, he sold them around a year ago, im wanting to know where he got them from.

seen them on CAS,

place in sheff can make them aswell.

When i get my A3 im going to look into cutting the door and mounting a baffle to it so the speaker sits on the door as apposed to the door card as its silly.

Nice indeed! I was told 5" was max as well, would have been nice to get bigger tho :( Does anyone else suffer from door rattle with too much bass from the front components? Didnt mount them myself maybe I need to strip the panel off and take a proper look at the job they did, already had to mount the crossovers that they left resting loose inside the panel!

5.25" is the max without major modification to the door card. Even then don't get too excited as although door pods will give you more space they are still attached to the flimsy door card itself, which will compromise performance massively. For a proper install you need to rebuild the inside of the door, so the speaker mounts to the door, then the modified door card just sits over the top. TBH you'd be much better off installing a decent sub and reducing the bass going to the fronts.

I have a decent 12" sub but would still like a punchy response from the front components however the 5" aint gonna give me that so will have to make do!

The 5" units won't give you any punch because there performance is compromised by the flimsy door card, not because they're too small.
Try mounting your 12" sub on a sheet of 4mm hardboard and see how good it sounds. That's the issue not the speaker size.

Cool, well not sure what I can do about that, not much room in those cards as it is, i'm also useless at DIY! I think the whole installation was a bit ***** paid a fair bit as well, and they didnt even set the car up to sound half decent. I have had to dc the rear factory speakers due to noise, I'm running th fronts off the amp and the rears of the HU although it seems they still get interferance from the internal amp? Not too fuseed about rear speakers as I never sit there but its a bit poor for any passesngers who get nothing but bass from the boot!

If the rears are running directly off the HU then you wouldn't be getting any interference. Are you sure they didn't bodge it and run the new HU through the crappy Audi rear amp?
If the Audi sub is still working then that's exactly what they've done.

Yeah thats what I thought :/ must be going through the amp, bodge job indeed, and they pride themselves on a "professional" service. Never had audi sub though. I just unplugged the connector (presume its the power cable for the amp) in the boot to cut the rear speakers. Think I need to rewire it myself if I can be bothered, although it dosent make any difference to me in the front, just annoying!

Im sure there is a way i can cut some of the door and make custom baffles and bolt them to the door isnt there, then customise the door car!

As my subs knocking out 1.8KW RMS.... and i need hefty comps to keep up with it.

Anything is possible but it's a lot of work as you are really limited on depth if you want the windows to work and there's ****** all to attach anything to as the door has no inner skin.
1.8kW rms? Really? How many alternators are you running?

nyzrox said:
As my subs knocking out 1.8KW RMS....

Don't assume the information listed on the side of the box / ebay advert is correct!! 1.8kw RMS - i dont think so!

AndyMac said:
Anything is possible but it's a lot of work as you are really limited on depth if you want the windows to work and there's ****** all to attach anything to as the door has no inner skin.
1.8kW rms? Really? How many alternators are you running?

Ah no inner skin, thats crap.

1 Alternator, standard battery that goes flat after 20 seconds if played loud.
ash_s3 said:
Don't assume the information listed on the side of the box / ebay advert is correct!! 1.8kw RMS - i dont think so!
Ok then its not 1.8kw.

US Amps MD2D rated 1.5kw on the box, its putting out 1.8kw. Im a ICE man i know equipment.
http://www.usamps.com/md_amps.html

My current setup is:

Alpine PDX-2.150
RE XXX 6.5" Comps
US Amps MD2D
RE XXX12 - 2.2cuft @ 35hz

:icon_thumright: :)

So 1kW then at 2ohm, that's still 80+ amps, surprised you can run it at all on the standard alternator/battery even with the engine running.

Nice tasoss3

AndyMac said:
So 1kW then at 2ohm, that's still 80+ amps, surprised you can run it at all on the standard alternator/battery even with the engine running.
Well il happily demo it to anyone local.

hi where could i get some of these door mounts, I have a set of 6.5 components and would prefer to be able to use them in my s3 8l thanks.

Hello? Is anyone actually listening. You can mount what you like in a cardboard box but it will still sound shyte.
There is nothing to attach the door pods to except the door card
IIRC the door pods are about £300 a pair, total waste of money!

AndyMac,

Sorry to contradict your proven from experience comment re attatching to the door card always sounding rubbish. Oh and nice custom sub box and speakers rings btw, serving me very well :)

It is possible to get a speaker attatched to a door card sounding very good indeed.

Lots and lots of sound deadening (predominantely to add a sealing layer and most importantly mass, will improve their response massively.

I personally had audioscape pods attatched direct to a mk2 golf door card, with a good thick layer of anti vibration deadening on the door card itself. I could crank my 6.5" focal comps and the bass would be crystal and loud! In fact one of the best sounding audio systems i have ever heard.

Im not saying its the optimum setup, just saying its possible to get door card mounted speakers sounding good.

Try it in an A3!
Hi Andy, ok what would you recommend speakers brand and size wise if I were to run them off a JL 300/4, as a direct replacement to the standard 8L 2001 S3 speakers.