Retro fitting Cruise control

sijones

Reaction score
Could anyone tell me how difficult it would be to retrofit the cruise control?

is it just a matter of fitting the stalk and wiring or is there more to it??

Thanks

Its just a matter of fitting the stalk and wiring as you said but you will also require it programming in with VAGCOM.

i have the vag-com... just bought the cruise kit.. so might wait and get a mfsw and fit that same time, just waiting to see if the ecu is in the car... do you know how to check it???

You can check the version of the Steering ECU using VAG-COM. I had the B version and there was some conflicting information about which version is required for Cruise.

I ended up ordering a full kit including the ECU as I didn't fancy getting it all put back together to find that I need the ECU.

You will need a spine to remove the steering wheel and a small size Torq driver to get the steering Ecu off to change the stalks.

Can't remember the spline size I just bought a set of splines from Halfords and I think that it is a T8 that you need for the Ecu. It was certainly smaller than any I had, and my mechanic mate had to come to my rescue with his set.

Not too bad a job. Apart from the tools issues the only other thing I found is that adapting the new steering ecu in was a bit tricky.

Paul

Sorry to bring this one up again, but could someone tell me on vag-com which controller am looking at... which button is it!!!

Cheers all,

From the main screen press select, then 16 - steering wheel. This will then show you the control module part number.

When I retro fitted cruise I had the wrong controller and this is the part number I replaced it with 8P0953549F.

As above, to find the part number of your existing controller you need to

Choose 'Select' from the opening screen.
Click 16-steering wheel
Read the part number for the control module.

well from checking the steering wheel it looks like i have 1k0 953 549 A... so shall i guess i need the ecu as well!!

I too have the 8P0 953 549 F fitted on mine. Not sure why you have the 1K0 version, I'd ask Vagparts to be sure you're version will work. Incidentally, do you have the multi function steering wheel fitted?

No... not even found one yet.. so if you know of anyone !!! let me know...

Will Vagparts be able to tell me... i read something somewhere that if i have DIS then the cruise control and MFSW would work.. can't remember where tho.

If you email vagparts with your steering ecu number they will tell you which kit to buy. This is the email I got from them quite recently.

"If you have a multi function steering wheel the kit you need is 8P0 054 690A @ £36.91+vat. The new lower column cowling is 8P0 953 512A 6PS @ £17.59+vat, delivery is via Parcelforce @ £7."

If you don't have the correct ECU then it costs around £100 extra.

Hope this helps.

If it helps Awesome GTI at Irlam manchester charge £149 plus vat to retro fit with all OEM parts, apparently they do a lot of retro fits for the dealers when they have cocked up on customer orders, may be worth paying the extra £80 for peace of mind rather than tackling the job yourself.

Spin