Quick question about the cam belt

Dan s3 audi

Reaction score
Hello

I have a audi s3 1.8t 8l, I have noticed now for a while that where the cam belt goes over the top cam pulley it over hangs the outer side of the cam by around 3-4mm. the cam belt is never in the centre of the cam pulleys itself. Is this normal for these cars or is there something wrong. it has been like this for at least 8 thousand miles now.

thanks

Out of interest. What head does it have fitted? AEB?

They never run perfectly central but haven't seen them over hang the pulley.

Ive seen them do that with no issues, its the spacer/washer usually on the tensioner that throws them out a little..

Yes my car has the AEB head on it, was the AUM head before but I never noticed if the cam belt over hung. I used a genuine kit from audi, but anyway that's a relief to hear its not just mine.

Thanks

Sounds like when they fitted the AEB head they left the AEB pulley on... longitudal pullies sit closer to the head than transverse... you need to replace the cam pulley if thats the case for a transverse one

<tuffty/>

Sounds like when they fitted the AEB head they left the AEB pulley on... longitudal pullies sit closer to the head than transverse... you need to replace the cam pulley if thats the case for a transverse one

<tuffty/>

I am 90% sure that I used the pulley off my AUM head but I cant be completely sure as it was two years ago. where would be the best place to get the correct pulley from if that's the case?

Cheers

Got pics of the pulley on yours? should be able to confirm from that...

As some say above, I have seen belts like this before tbh... not really sure of the cause but its not uncommon

<tuffty/>

Don't some AEB heads have a raised section that the tensioner bolts to? I'm sure you had one machined off before Tuffty?

Got pics of the pulley on yours? should be able to confirm from that...

As some say above, I have seen belts like this before tbh... not really sure of the cause but its not uncommon

<tuffty/>

I can get a photo on the weekend as car is away atm. If its not going to cause a problem I will leave it alone ;), just wasn't sure if it was a bad thing or not.

cheers