The unbreakable armrest button

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Right guys, here’s how to build the unbreakable armrest button:

Firstly take out button from inside of armrest with No.8 Torx screw head.
B1.jpg

Once the button is out you will be able to see where the plastic bits have broken off. Simply drill two narrow (4mm) holes where the plastic broke off.
B2.jpg

Insert copper wire or anything metal really that’ll fit in place (I used copper screws) and glue it all together with some sort of adhesive.
B3.jpg

This has fixed one of the most annoying problems I have with all audi A3/S3s I've had and now I'm happy to say it SHOULD NEVER ****** happen again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif
B4.jpg

P.S. Thanks to "NEiLS3LK51" for helping me get around this probelm, much appreciated mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thats the two handbrake cables, they will not sit straight due to differences in cables and each wheels brakes. no need to worry because the splitter plate shares the load evenly between cables when lever is lifted. Locknut in centre adjusts handbrake, give it a few turns if lever starts lifting too high.

mine has just broken. Can hear mechanism working but just not enough movement and button clicks

how easy is it to get button out?

Is this to prevent the problem of the actual armrest dropping if you lean too hard on it? If so i'll being needing this in about a week.

Defratos... I see this as a nice little earner, if you're interested and have the time

i think he meant as a side line.

Getting hold of 4mm diameter silver steel rods is easy and drilling through part easy too.

Potential of approx 20 quid a repair is better than 170+ for armrest .....surely Audi to a button replace kit?

Defratos said:
interested in charging you for the job? lol is that what u mean by a nice lil earner? or r u relating to the money I have saved?

I meant you charging to do it for us thick, inept, lazy fools!! Well me, anyway

lol, sounds interesting but knowing me being a lazy bas**rd I probably won't get around to doing anything for a while. Plus it's very easy to do your self, just follow the simple instructions and it'll be over in no time. just get audi to take out the armrest, cause they're silly little buggers

Fair enough. I'll give it a go. Thanks clever guy

sprout99 said:
i think he meant as a side line.

Getting hold of 4mm diameter silver steel rods is easy and drilling through part easy too.

Potential of approx 20 quid a repair is better than 170+ for armrest .....surely Audi to a button replace kit?

Audi will supply a replacement button kit, from memory its about £18

regards

S3DBW said:
Audi will supply a replacement button kit, from memory its about £18

regards

so they must know its a problem.....The hardest bit was locating the 4 screws which had been flocked.

While we're all on the Armrest topic. Does anyone have theres drop a click when weight is applied? and does anyone know why or how to repair it?

When the armrest is moved it makes a rachet noise so i'm assuming that the rachet part is missing a tooth maybe creating it to drop slightly

You can take the sides apart to dismantle the ratchet mechanisms on both sides but its not easy and requires plenty of patience.

Is it hard to take the whole armrest out of an A3 as I can't work it out?

Duber said:
While we're all on the Armrest topic. Does anyone have theres drop a click when weight is applied? and does anyone know why or how to repair it?

When the armrest is moved it makes a rachet noise so i'm assuming that the rachet part is missing a tooth maybe creating it to drop slightly

i had this problem. When fitting button you need to slide the tab on the armrest in between the two pegs on the button. fiddly but solves the problem.

basically without this the button is pre-tensioning the armrest relaese