JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 201 to 231 of 231
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Off to have the brakes fixed

  1. #201
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Veneeringman View Post
    Well rang Audi Stockport yesterday and after Having the phone put down on me!!! more incompetence, I finally spoke to their customer service department, parts have arrived car booked in for Monday morning to have brakes done and its first Oil change ( 3000 miles early but it'll give me piece of mind as we go to Cornwall end of next week)
    I got mine from Stockport and refuse to take it back there again for any servicing/repairs. I was shocked at how unhelpful they were, wouldn't recommend that place to anyone!

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #202
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    37

  4. #203
    JonnyG's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by finchy256 View Post
    Is that after the full fix ? Discs, Calipers & Pads ?
    Audi RS3 in Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012

  5. #204
    Kelza's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,538
    Sounds like a bus ...

  6. #205
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyG View Post
    Is that after the full fix ? Discs, Calipers & Pads ?
    He does say Jon "This is the noise still present after the 'official' brake fix has been applied to my car almost three weeks ago!"

    And the official Audi fix is as you say...

    Hang on to those stickies John, you may be needing 'em AGAIN... What a laugh...

  7. #206
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    37
    Yep this is after the full fix, got really bad when it was dry but it hasn't done it again since it's been raining..

    This noise is the same as before if not worse..back to Audi again

  8. #207
    Veneeringman's Avatar
    Bazinga

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Back in the UK
    Posts
    609
    I think as soon as I've had mine done tomorrow I'll be doing as John did and sorting it myself. Time to get out the trolley jack and tools I think!!!!
    45bvtc likes this.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

  9. #208
    JonnyG's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by finchy256 View Post
    Yep this is after the full fix, got really bad when it was dry but it hasn't done it again since it's been raining..

    This noise is the same as before if not worse..back to Audi again
    Oh

    How many miles since the fix and the return of the squeal ?
    Audi RS3 in Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012

  10. #209
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    54
    I had a squeal about two days ago, was only the once in the dry, that's under 1000 miles since the official fix...

  11. #210
    Kelza's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,538
    Anyone checked the back of the new pads to see if there meant to be anti squeal brembo ones ,i usually drive with my tunes loud and on sport mode so unless its a lovely day with the window down i dont hear much outside...

  12. #211
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    154
    This is why I raised the question earlier as to whether the "brake fix" was going to be a recall item on all cars as I dont want to go from a car which has had no brake issues to having Audi very kindly cause my brakes to start squealing!
    45bvtc likes this.

  13. #212
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyG View Post
    Oh

    How many miles since the fix and the return of the squeal ?
    500-1000 really am fuming with it now thinking of getting rid

  14. #213
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Veneeringman View Post
    I think as soon as I've had mine done tomorrow I'll be doing as John did and sorting it myself. Time to get out the trolley jack and tools I think!!!!
    SADLY, the feedback with the brake upgrade is NOT good Sean. I strongly recommend you do what we discussed i.e., a new set of 'original' brake pads and 'fit' them properly to the brake caliper. I'll guarantee they'll not squeal as your existing ones do, and you'll not suffer the other negativities others report.

    53-miles away Sean, no worries…

    I'm now 90/10% convinced that I'll NOT be having the upgrade on my car!

    My existing/original set-up will last out my warranty period and after that I'll look at fitting alternative pads (and I'm pretty sure I've identified those) to the original calipers and discs.
    Veneeringman and 8PARSY like this.

  15. #214
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by finchy256 View Post
    500-1000 really am fuming with it now thinking of getting rid
    1) I haven't stripped this new set-up yet but I can't see it much different from the original arrangement.

    2) I'm 90% sure I can cure your brake-squeal as I believe, having seen/listened to your video, that the cause, and cure, is exactly the same.

    3) If you've a 'company' car, then sell it...

    4) If it's your own car and like me you want to keep it for exactly what it is and/or does then, as for others, I'm willing to apply my 'fix' for you.

    Your call…
    finchy256 and 8PARSY like this.

  16. #215
    A4_DTM's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    SADLY, the feedback with the brake upgrade is NOT good Sean. I strongly recommend you do what we discussed i.e., a new set of 'original' brake pads and 'fit' them properly to the brake caliper. I'll guarantee they'll not squeal as your existing ones do, and you'll not suffer the other negativities others report.

    53-miles away Sean, no worries…

    I'm now 90/10% convinced that I'll NOT be having the upgrade on my car!

    My existing/original set-up will last out my warranty period and after that I'll look at fitting alternative pads (and I'm pretty sure I've identified those) to the original calipers and discs.
    Do you maybe have link of shims that you put on your std brakes to reduce squeeking?
    S3 2008, GT3076R 0.64 @ 1.55 bar, custom tubular manifold, Milltek TB decated, Autotech FSI pump, RS3 intank pump, RS4 injectors, RS4 hp rail valve, custom Twintercooler, AWE CCB intake. Forge DV, Forge OCC, LOBA SMF Clutch kit // REVO stage 4 dyno tuned >> 441.4HP, 499NM // H&R springs. whiteline Anti-lift kit and rear 24mm ARB // WOT box // KEI force 10 gunmetal 18'' wheels // Facelift rear lights // tinted windows // LED interieur & exterieur








  17. #216
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by A4_DTM View Post
    Do you maybe have link of shims that you put on your std brakes to reduce squeeking?

    I do A4_DTM...

    Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you: 1) an eBay link to the shims, and 2) my procedure for fitting.

    My procedure is for the RS3/TTRS, but the principles can be followed for any car... and I've been using them for years (since they banned asbestos from brake pads, anyway)

  18. #217
    A4_DTM's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    97
    45bvtc> PM sent, thanks!
    S3 2008, GT3076R 0.64 @ 1.55 bar, custom tubular manifold, Milltek TB decated, Autotech FSI pump, RS3 intank pump, RS4 injectors, RS4 hp rail valve, custom Twintercooler, AWE CCB intake. Forge DV, Forge OCC, LOBA SMF Clutch kit // REVO stage 4 dyno tuned >> 441.4HP, 499NM // H&R springs. whiteline Anti-lift kit and rear 24mm ARB // WOT box // KEI force 10 gunmetal 18'' wheels // Facelift rear lights // tinted windows // LED interieur & exterieur








  19. #218
    Kelza's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,538
    No squeals here after fix

  20. #219
    Veneeringman's Avatar
    Bazinga

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Back in the UK
    Posts
    609
    Well got the car back and yes it's new discs, pads + Calipers, not holding my breath but we will see how they perform once they are bedded in. From what i can see the back of the pads has Audi/Brembo logos can't see much else, calipers look the same to be honest.
    Audi Stockport don't seem very on the ball, when i arrived this morning at 9.00am sharp i didn't get away until nearly 10.00am and then when i went to collect at 4.30 i didn't get away until 5.45 !!!
    Told them this morning that the owner details were wrong and could they change them "no problem we'll do it when its done" so when i collected it and the salesman was typing the invoice i once again reminded him that the owner details needed changing and still he printed off invoices with the previous owners details on !!??!!
    He attempted to change the details and then gave up saying "i'll do it tomorrow and send you a new invoice in the post as we'll need a new WIP number"
    Still at least Oil change and updates have been done now.
    Stockport Audi Hmmmm hardly inspire confidence !!
    45bvtc likes this.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

  21. #220
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    1) I haven't stripped this new set-up yet but I can't see it much different from the original arrangement.

    2) I'm 90% sure I can cure your brake-squeal as I believe, having seen/listened to your video, that the cause, and cure, is exactly the same.

    3) If you've a 'company' car, then sell it...

    4) If it's your own car and like me you want to keep it for exactly what it is and/or does then, as for others, I'm willing to apply my 'fix' for you.

    Your call…
    Thanks John, I appreciate your help.

    The noise seems to have stopped and is only very slight now and again, perhaps due to more moisture..

    If it happens again like the video I will let you know..I cant bring myself to sell it I can't find anything else I like!
    45bvtc likes this.

  22. #221
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,277
    [QUOTE=finchy256;1907976]The noise seems to have stopped and is only very slight now and again, perhaps due to more moisture..[QUOTE]

    This is EXACTLY why the application of a compound such as Ceratec works as it is the moisture that is dampening the vibrations/squeal.

    Please give feedback when this weather finally dries out; hopefully the squeal will not return.

    You can apply the Ceratec yourself in exactly the same manner as shown the guide I sent you earlier i.e., out with the pads, appy Ceratec, and refit; just make sure the pads move freely in the caliper...
    8PARSY likes this.

  23. #222
    S3 AD's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South east
    Posts
    216
    well I have now covered 700 miles since the brake change and no squeel at all, I was getting it after 700 miles when the car was new though. The only difference is it started for me after about a month and I go the car in September - ambient temp end of Sept begining of October was alot lower so I am not prepared to say mine is fixed yet
    45bvtc likes this.
    Currently testing Audi's RS3 brake fix......will it work

  24. #223
    JonnyG's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    215
    Just picked my car up this afternoon from Leeds Audi after having the brake fix done and software update 39el.

    So far so good ... went for a test drive afterwards and everything felt fine, just a little more pedal travel than before but I'll soon get used to that.

    I have to say that the customer service at Leeds Audi was 5 star, very impressed . I was greeted in the car park by name on arrival, checked in and out within a few minutes and then escorted to a courtesy car and shown a few controls that were different to my RS3 (a new A4 diesel S-line with electronic handbrake). On pickup I was again greeted on arrival, in and out in a few minutes and given a Leeds Audi goody bag of sweets and key rings
    45bvtc and wickedstef like this.
    Audi RS3 in Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012

  25. #224
    Veneeringman's Avatar
    Bazinga

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Back in the UK
    Posts
    609
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyG View Post
    Just picked my car up this afternoon from Leeds Audi after having the brake fix done and software update 39el.

    So far so good ... went for a test drive afterwards and everything felt fine, just a little more pedal travel than before but I'll soon get used to that.

    I have to say that the customer service at Leeds Audi was 5 star, very impressed . I was greeted in the car park by name on arrival, checked in and out within a few minutes and then escorted to a courtesy car and shown a few controls that were different to my RS3 (a new A4 diesel S-line with electronic handbrake). On pickup I was again greeted on arrival, in and out in a few minutes and given a Leeds Audi goody bag of sweets and key rings

    Shame Stockport audi couldn't match this level of customer service.
    finchy256 likes this.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

  26. #225
    KKM
    KKM's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyG View Post
    Just picked my car up this afternoon from Leeds Audi after having the brake fix done and software update 39el.

    So far so good ... went for a test drive afterwards and everything felt fine, just a little more pedal travel than before but I'll soon get used to that.

    I have to say that the customer service at Leeds Audi was 5 star, very impressed . I was greeted in the car park by name on arrival, checked in and out within a few minutes and then escorted to a courtesy car and shown a few controls that were different to my RS3 (a new A4 diesel S-line with electronic handbrake). On pickup I was again greeted on arrival, in and out in a few minutes and given a Leeds Audi goody bag of sweets and key rings
    I got the brake fix today along with software update too. So far so good, agree about slightly more travel on the pedal but not a squeak to report. Booked in again at Aberdeen for a geometry check as I have slight vibration from steering wheel, but their machine was 'broken' today. Go figure!?!?!? This vibration appeared prior to the new brakes being installed....
    RS3 Suzuka Grey - Black optic pack

  27. #226
    Veneeringman's Avatar
    Bazinga

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Back in the UK
    Posts
    609
    Quote Originally Posted by KKM View Post
    I got the brake fix today along with software update too. So far so good, agree about slightly more travel on the pedal but not a squeak to report. Booked in again at Aberdeen for a geometry check as I have slight vibration from steering wheel, but their machine was 'broken' today. Go figure!?!?!? This vibration appeared prior to the new brakes being installed....

    +1 regarding the vibration, I did ask Stockport audi to check mine yesterday when doing the brake upgrade and service/updates however when I picked it up no mention was made of 4 wheel alignment being done, so I've booked it in for early Saturday morning at the same place I had the S3 done as they have a hunter machine and where very good to deal with.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

  28. #227
    KKM
    KKM's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    89
    I'm tempted to get the Geo check done at a local Motorsport specialist.... I'm sure they use the Hunter machine too
    RS3 Suzuka Grey - Black optic pack

  29. #228
    Veneeringman's Avatar
    Bazinga

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Back in the UK
    Posts
    609
    Day 2 in the RS3 since the update No squeakiness yet !!!!

    Will keep you updated.

    Pagid Ceratec at the ready !!!
    45bvtc and 8PARSY like this.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

  30. #229
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South
    Posts
    138
    KKM,

    May I suggest that you check your front tyres if they are Contis? Look for unexpected thread wear near where it meets with the sidewall. If it looks burnt, you may have the same issue than I had (intermittent vibration and a slight angle on the steering wheel).

  31. #230
    KKM
    KKM's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedstef View Post
    KKM,

    May I suggest that you check your front tyres if they are Contis? Look for unexpected thread wear near where it meets with the sidewall. If it looks burnt, you may have the same issue than I had (intermittent vibration and a slight angle on the steering wheel).
    Sounds very similar to my vibration problem..... I haven't checked my tyres yet, but I will do.

    What was your outcome? Did Audi give you a reason for the tyres / vibrations?

    cheers
    RS3 Suzuka Grey - Black optic pack

  32. #231
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South
    Posts
    138
    The master tech was convinced that the tyres had a defect and not just where you could see burnt rubber patches. It did an alignment but couldn't get rid of the right bias the car would adopt on a straight line.

    I ended up changing the fronts for Michelin PSS, they look much more up to the task but I will of course monitor their wear pattern. The Contis were allegedly sent back to Audi to be forwarded to Continental. Hopefully I'll get a refund for the michelin if the manufacturer agrees. They only had 4800 miles and this issue started quite a few hundred miles before.

    I've posted pictures in an earlier thread so you could compare your fronts to mine.

 

 
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Similar Threads

  1. Finally-the brakes fix is out....
    By Vito in forum RS3 Forum
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 22nd February 2013, 11:26
  2. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the brake lights on an A3?
    By sixsr in forum General Technical / How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24th February 2009, 10:11
  3. When you don't have the tools
    By rjcowan in forum In-Car Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 3rd May 2004, 16:19
  4. Have the drop downs gone?
    By dbm in forum Site Support & Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10th December 2003, 13:33
  5. where have the forums gone?
    By sfource in forum General Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 21st June 2003, 19:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO