****** Fireworks!

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Ok, first a history lesson. Guy Fawkes Night is the night on which we commemorate (with fireworks) a 17th century catholic plot to blow up Parliament. It happens once a year, on 5th November, and not on any other night of the year.
Next, a rant. Every night for the last fortnight, our neighbourhood has been bombarded with fireworks. My dog is close to catatonia & this morning, I found the car absolutely coated in ash. I have cleaned it, but I know it'll be covered again tomorrow morning, because hey, guess what.........?

Tonight is Guy Fawkes Night!

:eyebrows:

I'm glad someone else thinks this. I used to love firework night as a kid. On the 5th!!!! Nowadays it just seems like people have firework night when they feel like it.

Yeah, they tried banning the damn things, but the "Doogooders of this earth" say that its only a bit of fun, and that if the kids that let them off want them they'll get them one way or another... Its NEVER fun when an animal or person is injured because "I tried to launch (victim) to Mars by tying 40 rockets to his back or where ever... not Clever, I say tie the Bar Stewards down and launch one up thier a$$ and see how they deal with the pain...:gun2:

Sounding like Uncle Albert but when i was a lad fireworks were for the 5th of november, now days it seems that if the neighbour is only opening a can of coke then its cause to let of some fireworks BAN them is what i say as they mean nowt nowadays

**** me I have just had a mare,last night was at a party with a zillion fireworks let-off and then tonight my mate come around with his family and the last fooker which was a roman candle fell over and flew in through the patio.....eight kids and four adults in panic,me and neil were outside and weren't hit but my 5 year old daughter and neils 10 year old daughter were caught with minor burns,my bab had her trackys were on fire!!
I've never liked Firey werks so now its **** em from now on

voorhees said:
**** me I have just had a mare,last night was at a party with a zillion fireworks let-off and then tonight my mate come around with his family and the last fooker which was a roman candle fell over and flew in through the patio.....eight kids and four adults in panic,me and neil were outside and weren't hit but my 5 year old daughter and neils 10 year old daughter were caught with minor burns,my bab had her trackys were on fire!!
I've never liked Firey werks so now its **** em from now on

ouch, hope the kids are ok :)

voorhees said:
All ok now
I'm really pleased that one has ended OK, Voorhees, but if you think about it, it illustrates just how absurd this tradition is. Once a year, in the interests of fun and entertainment, we routinely expose ourselves & our children to incendiary devices that have the capability to kill or maim.

The other 50 weeks of the year, we strap ourselves & our offspring (well not mine, as I don't have any but you know what I mean) into cars festooned with airbags, booster seats & side-impact beams, litter the house with baby-gates, intercoms and smoke alarms, all in the interests of personal safety......and then as soon as the clocks go back, we try to set fire to ourselves.

I mean.....WHY?

There's one glaringly obvious and really stupid thing about fireworks available to the public: they're absolutely CRAP. Why do people bother?

I ask this because if anyone here lives around St. Albans, then you may be familiar with the firework display in Verulanium Park. A professional company sets it all up on one side of the lake, and the public are on the other with a radio roadshow, barbeques, stalls and nearer the road is a small circus. Best of all, at least when I last was able to go, it was a fiver to get in with all proceeds to charity.

And that's all before the display gets started. Each year we went it took your breath away, and just begs the question why those things are publicly available at all. There must be hundreds of events like this around the country, so why do people pay a small fortune to see a couple of puny sparks in their back garden??? Madness! :banghead:

I hate them to bits

You have 2 weeks before and two weeks after of the constant banging.
My poor little girl has been scared out of her tiny little mind and crys when going to bed as the constant banging scares her and wakes her up..

I can understand the fun in fireworks..BUT!! At shows and displays, There are displays for a £5 you can go to or some are free, Tons of fireworks set off safely and controlled!!!

Cheap crap Fireworks bopught from these fly by night quick open and close shops should be banned...JUst look at A & E!!

They should be banned, Kids firing rockets down the street hitting cars!!!! Rant RAnt RAnt

I hate them!!! Bang Whooosh Bang...Pointless in your back garden!! Leave it to the professionals

marmite said:
...Kids firing rockets down the street hitting cars!!!!

Yeh, I was on my way home from Norwich last night in my friends cavalier, luckily I was bending down in the car to pick up my phone as I had just got a text. Thats the first time I have ever thanked the mrs for checking up on me because as I bent down a rocket came through the windscreen and barely missed me.

Now my mate has to buy a new windscreen for his clapped out cav and is extremely shook up.

This guy was shooting off fireworks 10ft away from the main road on a windy night and had no thought for the safety of passing motorists

Yes, he did call the police, and yes he will pay, but only after my mate has replaced it and provided a receipt!!!

RShole!!!

Anyway, at least we are both ok and no-one was hurt. It could have been very different.

I know fireworks are a pain my parrot gets **** scared so did my mates huskey when we take him for his walkies feel sorry for animals and also lil babys. my car is covered in orangey powder looks like brick powder is the **** from the fireworks need to wash it off. the only days i do fireworks was on diwali and Guy Fawkes Night. I agree with marmite.

Took the dog in to a country pub in the middle of nowhere and had a leisurely dinner on Sunday - worked a treat.

Mike

don't think they should be banned at all, but should be made safer and more controlled, end of the day im sure we all got really happy memorys of fireworks from wen we were kids, let the kids now have them as well! you cant ban something becuase a few idiots misuse it

Perhaps issuing fireworks licences with the same criteria as a gun licence, carrying the same penalties for mis-use and unlicenced users, would be an idea?

filipharvey said:
Perhaps issuing fireworks licences with the same criteria as a gun licence, carrying the same penalties for mis-use and unlicenced users, would be an idea?

:iagree: Was thinking exactly the same

filipharvey said:

thats just ridiculous and a bit extreme, a gun is for 1 reason only, fireworks are not. fireworks are only dangerous if misused, but then a can of WD-40 can also be just as dangerous if emptied down someones mouth. end of the day theres nothing wrong with fireworks, and nothing wrong with starting them a few days early. how many ppl start celebrating christmas before its even begun (lights, trees etc)? anyway most people do fireworks cos its tradition, when this time of year comes i often dont even think about guy fawkes, and its prob the same with most people. its more a tradition now rather then to remember guy fawkes' plot. all good fun, no harm in it. people die occassionally from car accidents, we're not going to stop people from driving are we?

Sorry, should have been a bit clearer. What other use for a firework is there, except the one it was designed for?

joost said:
Sorry, should have been a bit clearer. What other use for a firework is there, except the one it was designed for?
signalling springs to mind

joost said:

Sorry no i meant that a gun is generally for self defence or attack but either way they are there to hurt/kill people, whereas fireworks are NOT there for that reason, hence why i said to the guy who suggested it that it would be ridiculous to treat fireworks in the same way as guns.

Ah right. Don't worry, just me being a bit thick :tocktock: . I do agree with the idea of a licence in part though - they should be controlled a little better. Or at least the sale of fireworks should be controlled a little better. I think the majority of people know a shop that has sold or sells fireworks to those it shouldn't.
I don't think that the entire blame can be placed on those that mis-use them - someone has to supply the 'offenders' with the fireworks.
If the sale of fireworks was limited to certain suppliers with licences (I'm assuming there isn't such a requirement at the moment) with more severe penalties for a breach of the licence's conditions then it could be less likely that fireworks end up in the wrong hands.

Just my opinion.:shrug:

Voorhees, surely that would be the intended use for that particular firework though?

Please fellas, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to start another debate that will end up with another locked thread, just trying to appreciate what others' thoughts and opinions are on the subject.

as far as i know, you DO need a licence to sell fireworks now. but yea it needs to be a bit controlled, but so what? 14 year olds cant buy fags or alcohol but they'll still manage to get their hands on it somehow. you can do all you want but the same will happen with fireworks, no matter what controls you have. unfortuantly we either just accept the risks and accept their will be people that will misuse them, or ban them altogether, which i don't think will happen. like i mentioned before, anyone can buy a knife an kill someone, they can buy a baseball bat an kill someone, its really not an issue that in this case its fireworks that are being misused, i don't think it can be controlled its just one of them things thats always going to happen unless fireworks productions completly stops and they dont exist.

pimpeda3 said:
Sorry no i meant that a gun is generally for self defence or attack but either way they are there to hurt/kill people, whereas fireworks are NOT there for that reason, hence why i said to the guy who suggested it that it would be ridiculous to treat fireworks in the same way as guns.

I didn't mean it in that fireworks are used as guns are, but that gun licences are only issued to people who are deemed safe to use them. Someone with convictions for arson or a pyromaniac type history should not be allowed to use them etc.

I obviously understand that the displays are for fun and tradition, but to sell them to any old bod who is going to set them off in the street, or cause harm to others, now THAT is ridiculous! :banghead:

i wish i could buy fireworks dammit. They are illegal in most parts of Australia.. damn you and all your freedoms.. *insert smiley of a shaking fist here*