Volvo T4 !!!!

mramage

Reaction score
Damn it!

Those Volvo S40 T4 things are quick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif You know the sort. Normally all quiet and driven at 1mph everywhere. Wolf hiding in sheepish clothing. Not this one though, oh no. It was also bright yellow!

Initially I left him from about 60 to 80kph. Not after that though, the same right up to 100kph, at which point slowing down was a good idea as I was 4 up and two were my wifes parents. I'll er, say claim it was the extra weight since Mr T4 was only 2 up or maybe it was modded. Either way, watch out if conditions are good and the road is straight.

And yes, needless to say this was on a straight bit of dry road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I followed one in the S3 from 40ish to 110 and there was hardly anything in it! I was very surprised, and annoyed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I was praying for a set of lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I dunno Moff, 300hp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Dude may not have been givin' it much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

) Were talking about the S40 T4 right?

200bhp - 0-60 7.3s. Rolling, it would be nearly the same performance... I was toying with an S3 down the A40 and i was stuck to her ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) **** up to 120(kmh of course!) until i had to take the exit.

My point being that it was a 225 S3, and i have 192bhp, and was keeping up with it. At speed, even considerable bhp advantages, dont make much difference.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
) Were talking about the S40 T4 right?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the one. I know what you mean Rich, my S3 isn't really much quicker than my chipped A4 was in a straight line.

As Moff said, I'll need to wait until the lights or a wet twisty country road /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
I dunno Moff, 300hp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Dude may not have been givin' it much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Drill, a T4 has not got 300bhp!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Out of the lights I would have whooped its ***. Rich, even 1 second in a 1/4 mile can prove quite a lot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Moff said:
[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Drill, a T4 has not got 300bhp!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Out of the lights I would have whooped its ***. Rich, even 1 second in a 1/4 mile can prove quite a lot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I reckon a rolling 2nd gear start from 20mph chipped A3 and standard S3 would be pretty even... The S3 would take it eventually, but not easily.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I reckon a rolling 2nd gear start from 20mph chipped A3 and standard S3 would be pretty even... The S3 would take it eventually, but not easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

what you also need to consider is once rolling in a straight line the 4wd doesnt give huge advantages to the S3 but adds a lot of weight.

S3 210 = 1375kg
A3 1.8T = 1240kg

theres a 135kg advantage there to the 1.8T, thats like having an extra 2 ppl in the car. And im sure the 225 S3 is even heavier still (but i cant find that figure). Anyone hav the weight figures for the volvo, as surely that cant be a lightweight?

Mark

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Wait til you run into an "R" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

*AHEM* I was refering to the new Volvo "R" cars. You know, the new S60R and V70R. Which have IIRC approx. 300 hp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Wait til you run into an "R" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

*AHEM* I was refering to the new Volvo "R" cars. You know, the new S60R and V70R. Which have IIRC approx. 300 hp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

265 to be exact /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In the S3's and Marks defence...

I should point out, I think MarkR's car is a 225, therefore the weight of the car is more like 1460kg. Plus the weight of 3 passengers! Lets say, 11 stone per passenger (avg), 3 x 70kg = 210kg extra. Making the total weight about 1670kg!!! Thats a lot to move along.

Whatcar data:

S40 T4 Sport
Weight: 1255kg
Power: 200
Torque: 221 lbft
0-60: 7.3s

So.. power/weight: 159bhp/ton

S3 225
Weight: 1460kg
Power: 225

power/weight: 154bhp/ton

So even the figures show, there won't be much in it on the road. Same goes for chipped A3's and Golf's, once they are rolling they are equal to an S3 really.

But, give me quattro any day of the week! I'm glad the days of trying to get the power down in a 2wd car are long gone for me.

AL

Volvo S60R Specs from Volvo Site:

hp: 300 @ 5,500 rpm

torque (manual): 295 ft/lbs@1,950 - 5,250 rpm

Curb weight: 3,693 lbs.

0-60 (Manual): 5.4 secs

So it sounds like a decent car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And it's a Volvo, so chances are, it's built like a tank /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I testdrove two volvo S60's when I was choosing a new car (and chose the audi A4)
The D5 (this one was the actual contender) and the S60R (This one I drove just for fun, the company wouldn't pay for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
I must say, the S60R was a very cool car (so was the D5 for that matter), for a volvo I think it's even quite beautiful, but it has a bit of a "muscle car" feel to it. Lots of power, extremely fast, but not what I would want to be oversteering in...

It's a Volvo. Who cares /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****.gif

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:

But, give me quattro any day of the week! I'm glad the days of trying to get the power down in a 2wd car are long gone for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Took a look at a S60R at my local Volvo dealer yesterday afternoon - it was their first in and still under wraps. Looked ok, but of course couldn't drive it as it hadn't been through the workshop yet - going to give me a call when it's been through.

Volvo are running an event at ProDriveLive in Warwickshire for the S60R and V70R from 23rd June to 2nd July - see http://www.r-concept.co.uk/ It's £175 but I thought it might be worth going along the morning just to rag someone elses car round the track - and work out if they should be given any respect once they atart to appear on the roads!

Clive

I disagree about the Volvo S60R's handling being like a "brick'. Im a volvo tech here in the U.S. and had the opportunity to drive one at Road Atalanta when the car was being introduced here in the states. I was truly impressed, Im not sure how the car is spec'd in europe but the car has active suspension here in the states. You have the choice between comfort, sport and advanced sport suspension. The advanced sport suspension will rattle your teeth out on a bumpy road. As for horsepower , the s60r has 300hp and the v70r has 265hp.
But I still love my "AUDI"