Your help please

barboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie.I’ve ordered my S3 SB Quattro S-tronic; it’s build week 37, so I’m not sure if I’m locked in yet. I’ll check if necessary.Either way, I would appreciate your feedback on the following points that I’m unsure about. Let me apologise in advance if any of my questions appear stupid:

1. I’ve seen 95 and 98 octane petrol mentioned on the Forum-presumably unleaded and premium unleaded. What’s
recommended for the S3?

2. In previous cars (non-Audi) I’ve always had a water temperature gauge and either an oil pressure gauge or oil warning
light. Can either of these be brought up via the DIS or MMI? If there’s a problem with water or oil, I’d prefer to know
before it becomes critical.

3. For some reason when I specced my car on line through the configurator, I didn’t come across an option for the
extended mono-pur (code 7HE). Having read all of your comments, it’s an item that I’d like to consider further. I’ve
been through the configurator again and still can’t find it despite the catalogue showing it as a chargeable extra. Have I
missed something?

4. I’ve specced the super sports seats; if I decide to take the mono-pur, will its stitching be the same colour as the
diamond pattern on the s/s seats?

5. Is the diamond stitching on the s/s front seats repeated on the rear seats?6. Why are the optional black inlays (which I
have specced) referred to as “3D”?

7. As to audio, I normally listen to the radio and although I only play a CD occasionally I’d still want the facility to do so.
I’m not really fussed about hi-fi quality and I’m not into I-phone, MP3 etc. I see that there is a DAB radio as standard
but it’s just dawned on me that I can’t find any reference to a CD player and I can’t immediately spot a CD slot
anywhere on the dash. Does this mean that I’ll have to download from CD’s to an SD card in order to hear music of my
choice?

Many thanks & best regards

BARRY

Hi Barry, welcome. I've helped where I can below:

1. 98 octane all the way
2. You can use computer software VCDS to make the oil temp available under each menu on the DIS
3. Not sure where it is online, maybe under interior options ( I'm sure it will be there somewhere )
4. Black with silver stitching as far as I'm aware
5. Yes
6. Where you have silver trim on the doors, dash, etc black inlays make them gloss black opposed to matte metal silver. ( again personal pref but I prefer the silver, breaks up the black a bit and less prone to swirls and marks )
7. It's in the glove box mate

Reactions: jimmydougle
As to audio, I normally listen to the radio and although I only play a CD occasionally I’d still want the facility to do so.
I’m not really fussed about hi-fi quality and I’m not into I-phone, MP3 etc. I see that there is a DAB radio as standard
but it’s just dawned on me that I can’t find any reference to a CD player and I can’t immediately spot a CD slot
anywhere on the dash. Does this mean that I’ll have to download from CD’s to an SD card in order to hear music of my
choice?

The CD slot is neatly hidden inside the glovebox, with the two SD card slots.

See the picture below - the Mono-pur (which I definitely recommend) is under Equipment Packages, Interior Packages:

Screen Shot 2014 07 08 at 064245 pm

No water temp gauge as standard but if you go onto Lap Timer on the DIS, oil temp appears at the top.

Nope, not that I've found, seems the way things are going these days all you get is a warning light up if you start to boil up. Same on my wife's Fiesta. Barmy if you ask me, but seems the way things are.

On a separate note, have a read through this thread
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-8v-chassis/210741-little-surprises.html

I found it really handy for a number of things I hadn't spotted when I read the manual like when washing the car if you press flick wipe just after you have turned the ignition off the wipers will move up the screen so you can lift them clear.

The most stupid named thing I've found on the sound system mind is GALA. No idea what it stands for but it's the control that increases the sound of your stereo relative to the speed of the car......foxed me.....I thought it was a surround sound at first!

Can someone post some pics of their mono pur and what bits are different. Thanks

1. 98RON is recommended for optimum performance, 95 can be used, but you won't develop all the horses available with 95.

2. No Water Temp Gauge, only a red warning light. There is a Oil Temp display in the Lap Timer menu, but with a small software tweak (VCDS), this can be made visible in most other menus. There is an oil pressure warning light. Don't be too concerned with the lack of water temp gauge, the cooling system is light years different from other cars, there is no traditional thermostat for example, there are 2 electrical rotary slide valves and electric pumps for thermal management so a traditional single point reading gauge is a bit historic.

See this for a fuller explanation: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-8v-chassis/204374-s3-warm-up-time-2.html#post2117421

3. mono.pur on the configurator is in Section 5, Interior Packages

4. Yes, Silver Stitching

5. Yes front and rear

6. 3D refers to the physical shape of the inlays (I think).
See:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-8v-chassis/221840-s3-options-advice.html#post2210270
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-8v-chassis/196372-piano-black-inlays-vs-ali.html#post1960526

7. There is a CD/DVD slot in the Infotainment unit in the glovebox. To be honest a couple of hours spent ripping all your CD's to SD card will be worth it, so you never have to open your glovebox to change CD's again.

PS Whereabouts in Cheshire are you?

The most stupid named thing I've found on the sound system mind is GALA. No idea what it stands for

Geschwindigkeitsabhaengige Lautstaerkenanpassung

= Speed Dependent Loudspeaker Volume

Reactions: steverobertsbbc
1. 98RON is recommended for optimum performance, 95 can be used, but you won't develop all the horses available with 95.

2. No Water Temp Gauge, only a red warning light. There is a Oil Temp display in the Lap Timer menu, but with a small software tweak (VCDS), this can be made visible in most other menus. There is an oil pressure warning light. Don't be too concerned with the lack of water temp gauge, the cooling system is light years different from other cars, there is no traditional thermostat for example, there are 2 electrical rotary slide valves and electric pumps for thermal management so a traditional single point reading gauge is a bit historic.

See this for a fuller explanation: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-8v-chassis/204374-s3-warm-up-time-2.html#post2117421

3. mono.pur on the configurator is in Section 5, Interior Packages

4. Yes, Silver Stitching

5. Yes front and rear

6. 3D refers to the physical shape of the inlays (I think).
See:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-8v-chassis/221840-s3-options-advice.html#post2210270
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-8v-chassis/196372-piano-black-inlays-vs-ali.html#post1960526

7. There is a CD/DVD slot in the Infotainment unit in the glovebox. To be honest a couple of hours spent ripping all your CD's to SD card will be worth it, so you never have to open your glovebox to change CD's again.

PS Whereabouts in Cheshire are you?

Copy cat ( while elaborating ) haha

Reactions: veeeight
Didn't realise the S3 doesn't have a temp gauge. My A3 does but it seems to be a pressure gauge instead on the S3.

Earlier today, car running on fumes. Car was thirsty.

#RamadanProblems

qbCA8qV.jpg

Thanks guys for your replies.

As a result of your help, I’ve looked into a number of items and I’ll use the same numbering as my original post:

1. Having noted your recommendations on fuel, I looked around at various brands and came to the conclusion that the highest octane/most suitable petrol would be Shell V-Power Nitro + Unleaded (jeez- what a mouthful!). I’ve been in the habit of filling up with supermarket stuff on a Saturday morning when shopping and I can’t remember using Shell before. In the event, I found that the nearest Shell garage is in Marple village and probably closer to my home than any other local filling station. I must have passed it scores of times but never really clocked it before.

2. Many thanks to Veeeight for the detailed information on water temp/oil temp including the thread from March this year; very informative and reassuring!

3. I feel a real prawn for not picking up the Mono-pur on the configurator. Even after you all told me where it was, it took three attempts before I realised that I’d read “Equipment Packages” as a heading and then read the list under that heading, completely ignoring the references to the right. Having found it, I’ve been able to have the option added on to my spec.

7. I felt even more of a prawn when you pointed out that the CD slot was in the glove box and I think that you’re right in saying that it’s worth spending time downloading the CD tracks that I really want to an SD card. On that subject, does the unit in the car take standard size SD’s or micro- cards as in a smartphone? As to the capacity of the card, the Sandisk website shows the following, based upon songs each of 3.5 minutes at 128Kbps:

512MB 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB
Number of songs 125 250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000

Is there an optimum card size recommended for use in the car or doesn’t it matter? It’s academic to some extent, as I don’t envisage listening to music for 467 hours solid…

Thanks again & best regards

BARRY

Will the s3 run perfectly fine on 95???

Or does it have to be 98 +

Forget better performance etc etc from the 98 will it run perfectly fine on 95?

What does #ramadanproblems mean??

1. Having noted your recommendations on fuel, I looked around at various brands and came to the conclusion that the highest octane/most suitable petrol would be Shell V-Power Nitro + Unleaded
Both Shell V-Power and Tesco Momentum 99 are 99RON

Is there an optimum card size recommended for use in the car or doesn’t it matter? It’s academic to some extent, as I don’t envisage listening to music for 467 hours solid…

Get either a 32GB or 64GB card, any smaller is a waste of time. The most important thing is to ensure that it is Class 10 or better, this speeds up access time.
See:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-8v-chassis/218761-music-cards.html
and
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...se-who-already-have-their-shiny-new-cars.html

What does #ramadanproblems mean??

BBC News - #BBCtrending: What are #RamadanProblems?

:)

Reactions: Pulp84
Ah OK......feel a right donut now!!! LOL

I know it will be better on 98 all cars are but just wondered if it ran fine on 95

Yep it sure will.

Always ran on V power for 3+ years now been using momentum for 5+ years and been impressed. Driving a performance car ain't cheap but for the extra £4 odd per tank it's definitely worth it in my opinion. I do actually get more miles per tank using better fuel, and remap on my 8P S3 demands it haha.