Which Phone?

oufc1976

Reaction score
Basically I've collected a number of phones over the last few years and at the end of the month have the option to pick another new one.

So, I'm wondering which offers the best overall functionality within the A3. I know there is a website that shows compatible functionality, but I'm interested in reading some real world suggestions/experiences.

Top of my 'want' list is the ability to see contact pictures which doesn't seem to work on my current HTC One.

I also have a 5th Gen iPod which I use as my main music source (although I currently have a blue cable which means no artwork) and that will probably stay, but if one of these phones offers superior music (and video) playback that would be good to know.

Choices:

iPhone 4
Galaxy S3
HTC One (current)
And then any of the new models so Galaxy S4/iPhone 5S etc.

I have the non-Tech Pack solution.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

I use an s4 mini, previously had an s3. Nothing has changed for me with regards to connectivity to my car. Bluetooth still works like a bomb.

Apple seems to be the preferred brand when it comes to connecting to the MMI by cable so I would suggest you go the 5s route, I would if I had a choice.

In terms of keeping up with the times, the Galaxy S5 would be a better choice.

Reactions: oufc1976
contact pics don't work with any iphone.

Reactions: oufc1976
Note sure what you mean by that mate.

All I mean is if I go in to Telephone, Directory, select a contact and call them, that their picture displays on the main screen.

I've never got that to work on the HTC One

He means it can't be done without the tech pack

Well, rather unexpectedly tonight I got a picture of my wife pop up when I rang home!

Non tech pack. HTC One.

It didn't work when I rang her mobile. But that has a different picture, so I assume that's down to resolution a la album artwork.

The earlier posts had led me to believe it wasn't possible though...so big bonus!

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Does album artwork work on Android phones? (I can see some people here have HTCs for example)

I've got a Nexus 5 and use Google Music to play my music. So just curious as to whether my album artwork will be on display when I get my A3 next week

Have an Android phone but use iPod for music.

Will try and test it tomorrow and report back

Also, called the wife at home on the way home from work again and this time her picture didn't appear.

Weird!

I can confirm that the iPhone 5 does...

Stream Music Through Bluetooth
Contacts Sync Through Bluetooth
Message Received Through Bluetooth
Stream Music Through AMI cable (red)* - with Album Art

It does NOT...

Upload Contact Pictures
Support rSAP, which means NO...
Google Maps
Traffic updates
Message Dictation

* for the AMI I have had to use the red cable and then an apple adapter (as the AMI cable is the old style). I have the full Tech Pack.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joetidman
I can confirm that the iPhone 5 does...

Stream Music Through Bluetooth
Contacts Sync Through Bluetooth
Message Received Through Bluetooth
Stream Music Through AMI cable (red)* - with Album Art

It does NOT...

Upload Contact Pictures
Support rSAP, which means NO...
Google Maps
Traffic updates
Message Dictation

* for the AMI I have had to use the red cable and then an apple adapter (as the AMI cable is the old style). I have the full Tech Pack.

I have had my car just over a week and have the red lead but not bought the adaptor as dealer was also giving me the green lead (lightning) - can you confirm that they also charge the phone.

I have had my car just over a week and have the red lead but not bought the adaptor as dealer was also giving me the green lead (lightning) - can you confirm that they also charge the phone.

Definitely charges the phone too. I've put in a back order for the lightening cable too.

I've not long upgraded to an LG G2. Great phone and seems to like speaking to the A3. I've just got the SD Nav system and it displays contact pics and album art.

I think that if you add contacts to car then pics won't show but if its just getting them from phone it will show contact pics.