EM TuningSky Insurance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Where do you put your keys?

4th Gear

Status

Where do you put your keys?

With the news else where on the forum of a stolen S3, it made me wonder where we all put our keys when we are at home.

Do you do anything special with car or keys when you go away say on holiday?

Me? We keep our car keys in a kitchen drawer (we do have an alarm system but perhaps should consider making finding them a little more difficult?), but hide them when we go on holiday. Motorbike keys hidden away all the time.

Steve
    Steeve

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

Where do you put your keys?

I think it's maybe a bit of a double edged sword mate. If you make them too difficult to find the thieves will either a) trash the house trying to find them if you are out or b) threaten or even carry out some sort of violence to get them from you/ your family if you are in. At the end of the day of the scum want it bad enough they will get it and it's only things... I think I would rather them take something replaceable than have my family in more danger..... Sad state of affairs but you gotta prioritise what really matters...
    Using Tapatalk

4th Gear

Status
    Burglar bill will love this thread.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Louay View Post
    I keep mine with my pet lion.

I only feed him once a week so he's usually quite hungry.
    FOR SALE

2009 Headlight switch - �30

Pm for details

5th Gear

Status
    Mine are next to my shotgun ;-)
    Audi A3 8P Sport Back 170BHP (And I Love it)

web page: philseagust.co.uk
    E-Mail:info@philseagust.co.uk

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Louay View Post
    Thankfully he doesn't know where I live.
    Steeve

4th Gear

Status
    I leave mine with jigsaw. Live or die the choice is yours.

6th Gear

Status
    In my pocket.
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by @udi A3 View Post
    In my pocket.
    Pockets in jimjams? (If you wear them).
    Steeve

1st Gear

Status
    In the sun visor
    snowfree52 likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    I have a reinforced door which i lock at night so no way would they get my keys.
    # Currently enjoying my Audi S3 8V Sportback in Estoril blue #

Quote Originally Posted by Battlekrapz View Post
    I have a reinforced door which i lock at night so no way would they get my keys.
    What about the windows?
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    What about the windows?
    Battlekrapz's house:

I keep mine in my pocket (of my trousers, which are usually on the floor at night).
    h5djr, steeve, S3quatt and 12 others like this.
    S3 (8V) S-Tronic Estoril Blue; A3 2.0TFSI S-Line quattro, Dolphin Grey [sold]

5th Gear

Status
    I keep mine of the front door step under the illuminated neon arrow sign with the 1 foot high flashing sign that says "take me and enjoy"
    cemerson likes this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

Status
    I hook mine up to the mains
    Louay likes this.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

2nd Gear

Status
    The more pertinent question should be where you put your car. The last place you want it is proudly on display at the front of your property hoping to demonstrate your good taste or wealth etc. Far better to empty the garage of all those old Mini spares you've had since the 80's in the hope they may come in useful one day and relegate all the other assorted junk to the tip or a garden shed so you can house the car out of sight. If you don't have a garage your car should ideally be out of sight at the side or rear of your property. If you have no option but to leave it on display then your risk increases greatly. With your car hopefully out of sight it's time to start on securing your property. Modern doors and windows are extremely difficult to break into quickly. Windows glazed from the inside, multi point locking and hinge bolts make forced entry very difficult. The same goes for modern doors with anti-snap locks. Of course, people can smash their way in but this takes time, is noisy and your mobile phone at the side of your bed is useful whilst the ensuing racket is ongoing.
    A safe with a keypad is useful. They cannot be forced and are relatively inexpensive They are bolted down to floors and walls and are virtually unmoveable. When we leave home all our keys are held in it together with car keys etc for vehicles left behind. A large dog that barks is useful as he will forewarn you before anyone even tries your defences.
    Outside you should have security lights monitoring your periphery. LED lights are good . We use 50w PIR LEDs. They use minimal power and are very bright. Cameras are good too. Foscam make some excellent ip cameras. They are easy to set up, good in the dark and record to SD cards on motion detection.
    If all that fails I reach for one of my 12 bores in the gun cabinet.
    Never had to yet though.
    _Zerocool_ and snowfree52 like this.
    A3 2.0TDI Sportback S Line 184 Quattro S-Tronic, Mar. 2014 Glacier white. Electric seats, sunroof, se suspension, heated folding mirrors, Reversing camera, Nappa leather, TPMS, Hold assist, Xenon plus adaptive lights with variable active range control, lane assist, Interior light pack, Technology pack, Comfort pack with ACC, park assist & parking system plus

2nd Gear

Status
    Mine is outside in my parking space, it would be fairly easy to work out which property it belongs to as it's painted in 2 foot high letters on the floor.
    If someone bothers to smash a window in or kick the front door down they can take the car - this is what I have insurance for.
    S3 (8V) S-Tronic Estoril Blue; A3 2.0TFSI S-Line quattro, Dolphin Grey [sold]

2nd Gear

Status
    What about the windows?
    Double glazing with multi point locks top, side and bottom

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Flibble View Post
    Battlekrapz's house:

I keep mine in my pocket (of my trousers, which are usually on the floor at night).
    Hilarious !! The hell is that Hehe

1st Gear

Status
    Clipped to the collar of my large Alsatian...woof woof :-)
    A3 8V 1.8T 6 speed 3 door S line - Daytona Grey. Interior lighting pack, privacy glass, comfort pack, electric folding heated dimming door mirrors, tyre pressure monitor, electric lumbar support, cruise control, acoustic parking system rear, B&O sound system.

5th Gear

Status
    When at home, the keys are in my bedroom. This means that if someone wants to steal it, they will have to get them from me first and that will be a tough enough task for them in its own right. It would not be pretty in the slightest!
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red front/rear Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra R splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, Debadged, Arm rest delete, LED plate lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s

Gone - 2005 B7 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    I keep mine of the front door step under the illuminated neon arrow sign with the 1 foot high flashing sign that says "take me and enjoy"
    Probably not a bad idea, would be very suspicious and never be touched!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Av4nt View Post
    When at home, the keys are in my bedroom. This means that if someone wants to steal it, they will have to get them from me first and that will be a tough enough task for them in its own right. It would not be pretty in the slightest!
    Always makes me laugh this type of response -your asleep - your awoken to a knife at your throat or your missus's throat and you go all Hong Kong Fooey and risk a cut to protect a hunk of metal that's insured.

If anyone wanted my S3 - and are willing to break into my house for it for the keys, then they're welcome to it - just leave my wife, kids and me alone upstairs and do it as quietly as possible.

Its insured and not worth traumatising my wife or kids over it. Would I be p'eed off - damn right - is it worth going Ninja for - I dont think so.

I know someone personally who was sat at the dinner table with his missus and some scumbag in a ski mask - walked through his back gate - launched a breeze block through the patio doors glass - whilst he was sat there having his dinner with his wife and demanded the keys to his car.

If theyre willing to do this in broad daylight - its not worth thinking about trying to fight with them.

My keys are hung up within a couple of paces of the back door -out of direct line of sight - but visible if they enter the house. So theyre not rumbling around the house looking for them, with the chance of them coming upstairs where my kids are sleeping.
    Paul R

S3 Sportback - Sprint, Buckets, Bose, Rain & light, Alu rails, Piano trim, FT Warning, Bluetooth prep
    S3's now sold - roll on the Golf MK1 Project

6th Gear

Status
    I keep my keys hidden from my partner, I trust she won't resort to a knife at my throat...
    amped2 likes this.
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

Neutral

Status
    When I'm at home and not asleep the keys stay by the door.

But when I go to bed I always take them upstairs with me and into the drawer beside my bed.
    Done that ever since my parents' got burgled.
    My car was there and they found the keys. Luckily the key fob wasn't working so they must have assumed the car they belonged to wasn't at the house and left the car.

But yeah, ever since them the keys stay next to my bed

Neutral

Status
    I have a regular bowel and digestive system so I swallow my keys at night before bed. The only downside to this method is curry night and the key flipping out in your gut.
    cemerson and BGS like this.
    Audi A3 SportBack S-Line 1.4 COD, Phantom Black, Comfort Pack, Parking Plus, Transformer Door Mirrors, Technology Pack, Bang & Olufsen

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RAPS3 View Post
    Always makes me laugh this type of response -your asleep - your awoken to a knife at your throat or your missus's throat and you go all Hong Kong Fooey and risk a cut to protect a hunk of metal that's insured.

If anyone wanted my S3 - and are willing to break into my house for it for the keys, then they're welcome to it - just leave my wife, kids and me alone upstairs and do it as quietly as possible.

Its insured and not worth traumatising my wife or kids over it. Would I be p'eed off - damn right - is it worth going Ninja for - I dont think so.

I know someone personally who was sat at the dinner table with his missus and some scumbag in a ski mask - walked through his back gate - launched a breeze block through the patio doors glass - whilst he was sat there having his dinner with his wife and demanded the keys to his car.

If theyre willing to do this in broad daylight - its not worth thinking about trying to fight with them.

My keys are hung up within a couple of paces of the back door -out of direct line of sight - but visible if they enter the house. So theyre not rumbling around the house looking for them, with the chance of them coming upstairs where my kids are sleeping.
    ^This^

From someone who knows, the reality is this:

I have been boxing many years (I do some boxing tuition now).........so I can handle myself.

You find yourself woken from a deep sleep by a huge banging/smashing, at 3am in your boxer shorts, to have 4 people (2 inside/2 outside) smash your front door of its hinges, then trying to smash down the bedroom door with crowbars wearing ski masks and stab vests....all within a few seconds of you waking.
    Believe me, I did as well as I could just keeping them out of the bedroom (the door frame eventually came off the wall) while my girlfriend was screaming in hysterics on the bed (but not in a sexual way, like it should be lol!).

If you are awake and alert it could be a different proposition.........or if you are armed.
    Otherwise, its unlikely you will get a chance to put any well honed fighting skills to use. Even if you did take one of them out, you may well be a marked man from that point on.

I believe that since the courts have toughened up sentences for aggrevated burglary, that a lot of the gangs have now moved on to cannabis farming - as its more profitable, with less risk. Hopefully!
    Last edited by Soulboy; 25th March 2014 at 13:26.
    snowfree52 and m0sbf like this.
    2014 S3 / 3 door / Manual
    Estoril Blue / Silver interior

2nd Gear

Status
    I'm laughing so hard at the internet tough guy....

Always, always keep your keys away from the family - hidden but pretty easy to find (i.e. kitchen drawer).... if someone wants to steal a stupid cheap bit of metal let them get in, get them and get away without needing to bother you and your loved ones.

Only mugs and real idiots want a chance to prove themselves against people willing to steal cars...

Reverse Gear

Status
    We had two cars pinched from our drive whilst we were asleep in bed. Thieves broke in through the back door and took the keys from the kitchen. Took a few other bits and bobs, some of which were discarded and handed in to the police.

Thankfully we were unaware at the time and so none of us were threatened or physically hurt, including the dog who may or may not of barked, but if she did, we didn't hear her.

We got cars back pretty quickly (undamaged) and the thieves were caught.

Wouldn't want to go through the experience again, but we don't lose any sleep over it either.

4th Gear

Status
    We have a house alarm fitted, so I think the boxes on the property with flashing led's might help them to decide to burgle some one else's property.
    Steeve

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steeve View Post
    We have a house alarm fitted, so I think the boxes on the property with flashing led's might help them to decide to burgle some one else's property.
    Generally yes, but the more organised/ruthless gangs have a '2 minute rule' and will go for it regardless of any alarm. They will be in and out within 2 minutes, either with or without the keys.

Generally, between 3am and 4am when you will be in bed. And ideally on a Sunday night/Monday morning when there wont be a lot of people/Police out and about, like there would be on say a Fri, Sat.

As I say, lets hope that cannabis farming is more profitable for the to55ers.
    2014 S3 / 3 door / Manual
    Estoril Blue / Silver interior

1st Gear

Status
    I just leave a note on the dash explaining where my neighbour keeps his keys!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevieb2905 View Post
    I just leave a note on the dash explaining where my neighbour keeps his keys!
    Both my wife and myself take our car and house keys (both on the same keyring) upstairs at night but I'm beginning to wonder if that is such a good idea. We are the only two in the house.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

3rd Gear

Status
    With the news else where on the forum of a stolen S3, it made me wonder where we all put our keys when we are at home.

Me? We keep our car keys in a kitchen drawer (we do have an alarm system but perhaps should consider making finding them a little more difficult?), but hide them when we go on holiday. Motorbike keys hidden away all the time.

Steve
    ill tell you exactly where I put mine on this open forum, not!
    Audi S3, Misano red, Stronic, ACC, Tech pack with Audi Connect, Comfort pack with park assist plus, though-load, aluminium roof bars, B&O, Led lights, Folding mirrors, Interior led lights, Hold assist, High beam assist, Pano roof, Privacy glass, Electric lumbar support

3rd Gear

Status

Steve
    I keep mine in my pants
    Audi S3, Misano red, Stronic, ACC, Tech pack with Audi Connect, Comfort pack with park assist plus, though-load, aluminium roof bars, B&O, Led lights, Folding mirrors, Interior led lights, Hold assist, High beam assist, Pano roof, Privacy glass, Electric lumbar support

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Flibble View Post
    Battlekrapz's house:

LOL!!!!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    don't put that sign next to your arse

3rd Gear

Status
    Both my wife and myself take our car and house keys (both on the same keyring) upstairs at night but I'm beginning to wonder if that is such a good idea. We are the only two in the house.
    I remember when I lived in a house with 4 mates and the 4 of us and 2 other mates came back from the pub one night and had clearly disturbed the burglars (found our massive 36in CRT tv part way through the patio door opening and mates desktop on the patio and patio door open)

There was a side alleyway, rear alleyway (access via a gate at the back of the garden) and front access to the property - bad design to be honest

I saw the gate shut and shouted at my mates and chased after the scum, saw a van race off.

Like to think the Scum were lucky as they would have ended up with a pasting- a lot of my mates were black/brown sash tae kwon do and others were just "as hard as nails". Thing is its just adrenalin, as even if they were outnumbered but pulled out a knife I doubt we would have done anything - not worth it

I cant stand thieves

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulboy View Post
    Generally yes, but the more organised/ruthless gangs have a '2 minute rule' and will go for it regardless of any alarm. They will be in and out within 2 minutes, either with or without the keys.

Generally, between 3am and 4am when you will be in bed. And ideally on a Sunday night/Monday morning when there wont be a lot of people/Police out and about, like there would be on say a Fri, Sat.

As I say, lets hope that cannabis farming is more profitable for the to55ers.
    im often awake at that time

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by madrussa View Post
    I have a regular bowel and digestive system so I swallow my keys at night before bed. The only downside to this method is curry night and the key flipping out in your gut.
    actually that's probably a good selling point for a new version of the advanced key as youd never lose it, its always with you, lol

problem is on the 1st pass, you will have to swallow it a gain......yuck

plus if the wife wants to drive the car...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast