Need to rant

Saftlad

Reaction score
Sorry for a negative first post, but I need to have a rant to let off some steam.

We ordered an A3 SE at Christmas, and throughout the negotiations I repeatedly mentioned that we wanted the ashtray cup even though we specced to non-smoker pack. I also made it clear that I expected to receive both the apple cable and a standard usb cable. "Not a problem" says the salesman.

You can probably already see where this is going...

My wife collected the car today, and when she asked where the ashtray and cables are, she was told "it doesn't come with an ashtray because you ordered the non-smoking pack. The car also doesn't come with any AMI cables, but we can order in any that you need for an additional charge"

Talk about taking the shine off a new car :wtf:

I probably wouldn't have minded so much if we had battered him down on price, but my wife was very soft with him and shook far too soon.

Can anyone confirm what (if any) AMI cables the car should come with, ideally with a link to some official literature to back it up?

I'm going in tomorrow to cause a fuss over this. It's not a ****** Kia, and I expect a better level of service from Audi. Am I mistaken?

Welcome to the site.

Don't stress fella, it will get sorted out, I'm sure of it, no need to rant as its not a massive issue if you think about it, mistakes happen, they or audi uk will resolve your concerns, enjoy the new car & take an amicable approach, if they don't play ball then be a bit more stern.

School boy error. Should have got it confirmed in an email or on the invoice (had my full tank of fuel and AMI cables added to invoice and confirmed in email). Also if you specced the non smokers pack you wouldn't get the ash tray so again the above would apply as it's a accessory.

Sales man got you really on pick up day - he knows your not going to walk away on the day over a AMI cable and an ashtray.

walk in and kick off - you might get what you want....

The non smoking pack unfortunately doesn't come with a cup/ashtray, but at least you get nice chrome effect 12V sockets :)

The cup ashtray can be had on ebay easily enough though.

If you have ordered the tech pack, the car should come with a pair of AMI cables, normally say the iPhone/iPod cable with the red collar, and the USB cable.

Go back to them and say you are not happy. If they won't budge, tell them you will be taking it up with Audi Customer Services.

Just tell them it was agreed when you placed the order that you'd get them and your negative experience will be reflected on the Audi customer satisfaction survey when you receive it. ;) I guarantee you will have an ashtray and the cables shortly thereafter.

Thanks guys. You're right, in the grand scheme of things it's no biggy, but you look forward to this day with so much excitement. I've got the day off work tomorrow anyway, so whilst giving it a drive, I'll pop in and politely have word and see where that gets me.

The car SHOULD come with the USB and Apple cables as far as I know (you can choose which Apple cable depending on what device you have).

Lesson is to get everything down in writing that you agree, or they'll try anything to not deliver what was promised... Agree with the negative survey feedback suggestion!

Yes, I agree that first be pleasant, then if that fails tell them you're "extremely dissatisfied", that's the worst rating in the Audi survey I think, and ask to speak to the sales manager. Two AMI cables should be included and if you've agreed to have an ashtray they should give you one. They could always give you one from a showroom car and then order a replacement for it.
It's amazing they would upset a customer for a few pounds.

you can have mine! lol ive got an ashtray and a ipod ami cable gathering dust.. imho you'll wonder why you made such a fuss when you get them..

I didn't order the tech pack and the salesman at Newcastle Audi told me to check it came with the correct cables before I drove off otherwise he'd give me some..... And I battered him right down on the price. He even beat drive the deal and orange wheels!

be nice. I asked my salesman if there was a chance of a free boot liner - the £170 one - and he did oblige so well happy as the boot liner is very nice albeit ruddy expensive for what it is, but its awesome for free

Yeah, it's about being nice and having a laugh, relationship with your dealer to get the most from them.

I got 2 sets of ami cables, rubber floor mats front and rear, a full tank of fuel, an expensive audi keying. This was on top of a drivethedeal matched price.

I'm sure they will sort you out.

Got all the cables plus a bottle of Lanson, umbrella, fuel and a £28 S keyring. Ok by me but that keyring based on a random survey looks to be worth £3.50!! Not good value IMHO

My wife insisted on me having this keying.

She muttered something about fifty shades. No idea what she is going on about. :shutup2:

3181300800_Schl%C3%BCsselanh%C3%A4nger-mit-Quaste.png

Reactions: Joetidman
Like others here, I don't feel that you should rant, politeness usually wins the day (in the first instance).
I'm not sure that the cables are part of the car package but it does seem most dealers provide them free of charge.

Other than that how are you enjoying your new A3?

i got 8% discount on overall cost, free audi aero roof bars, free £170 boot liner, free rubber and velour mats and a full tank of fuel.

I also got 3 AMI cables for all eventualities and a couple of flashy keyfobs.

overall, very satisfied with the service from Tony at Aberdeen Audi.

Yes politeness and a good rapport with your salesperson usually brings some reward. Had my A3 for 3 weeks now. The dealer supplied an iPod cable. The USB cable was not in stock but they ordered it and sent it to me free of charge 3 days later.

Dont worry guys, I wasn't planning on heading in to the salesman to have rant, just needed to voice my disappointment to someone. I work with customers on a daily basis and know full well that the noisy ones are those that don't get the freebies from the PR stock.

We'll be heading in this afternoon to see what he's willing to come up with. It really isn't the end of the world if he doesn't supply them, but if he had no intention of giving them then I'd rather have known at the start rather than setting a false expectation.

Unlike some others, we didn't get a bottle of bubbly, 50-shades keyring, or even a bunch of flowers, just a car with less than half a tank of fuel. Tight-wads lol

Like others here, I don't feel that you should rant, politeness usually wins the day (in the first instance).
I'm not sure that the cables are part of the car package but it does seem most dealers provide them free of charge.

Other than that how are you enjoying your new A3?

It's not my car, its for the wife so I haven't been allowed to drive it and only got to adjust the drivers seat so that I could set up the display etc for Mrs Saftlad :huh:.

If your not happy. Unfortunately it will always be the thing you remember about the car and the dealer if you pick it up and leave. I ordered a spare wheel with the last car and it never came and also it was prepped shockingly. I let my disapproval known 1st politely then to the point I walked out of the showroom when no one listened. The sales manager who then came and spoke to me agreed it was not prepared well and said he would rather us be happy and come back to get the car later. So in the end I was given an a4 avant for the day and told to come back at night for the car. The manager said he stayed back to make sure we were happy and gave us our 1st service FOC due to the above. Left in the end with the car we wanted and should have been presented with and not disappointed.

I laughed out loud at this. Wait till you have a 'real' issue with your car.

As you've realised Audi aren't the best at customer satisfaction. As others have said keep things polite and go back at the weekend to see the salesman. Remind him of your requests at the negotiation stage and simply ask him to order the items that you had requested. I wouldn't mention that you're expecting them for free - just look surprised if they ask you for cash when collecting them.

I went back to our Audi garage after 3 years when our S3 was due its first MOT and reminded them when booking it in that the salesman had said it was a free MOT test so long as I owned the car. The garage had actually changed ownership but, they still honoured it.

I had a minor issue recently where part of the oil dipstick (orange plastic bit) broke when I tried to remove it to top up the oil. I didnt want to yank it out and cause further damage. Thinking some might have dropped in I advised my partner to take it to the garage first thing on a Monday and seek their advice. She came back advising that there was nothing wrong and the dipstick just needed a good pull! They also advised it needed topping up with oil! So after another trip back they still fobbed her off. Trip 3 resulted in me going back and taking them through the issue step-by-step. I could tell the girl on the service desk wasn't really listening so just sat back in the waiting room drinking coffee and catching up on the news. 15 minutes elapsed and she came back to once again advise there was no problem. Now I was starting to get annoyed. Cue a request for the senior manager who should bring with him the dipstick from our car. Finally after a further 20 minutes he came back very apologetic holding the dipstick. I pointed out where some of the orange plastic was broken - he agreed and apologised. I asked if any of the orange plastic bits would cause an issue. No was his reply as the sump and oil filters would ensure none reached where it shouldn't. Flushing the engine wasn't advised. A new dipstick could be ordered although the old one was still functional and we just needed to pop back so they could fit it. I thanked the manager and just asked why couldn't this have happened on the first visit? He apologised again and advised they would top up the oil free of charge for the inconvenience. What was a nice bonus is that when my partner went back to get the new dipstick they didn't charge for it. :icon_thumright: No doubt our next service bill will be 'adjusted'!!