Dealership treatment of car

Ryanytchan

Reaction score
Hi all,

So my a3 was originally scheduled to be delivered in March but a few days ago I was informed out of the blue that it'll be ready for collection on Monday. Thing is I need some time to get the funds ready and was told by the salesman that the car would just be parked outdoors exposed with no protection whatsoever until I collect it. Is this normal at all or am I experiencing bad service?

Cheers

I've not been in a similar situation but its the nature of the scenario.

From the the dealership's perspective, I can only assume they have limited space to keep it under wraps, its like holding unnecessary stock and that space can be use for something else.

You can go back to them and say they've done a fantastic work to get the car in sooner but as agreed it was scheduled for this date and the funds are not available. However with the car being exposed to the elements its not going to be the worse scenario, if you know how to detail you can restore the car's paintwork but then you shouldn't have to do that.

Can you ask your dealership to put a car cover at the very least till you get the funds sorted?

I've not been in a similar situation but its the nature of the scenario.

From the the dealership's perspective, I can only assume they have limited space to keep it under wraps, its like holding unnecessary stock and that space can be use for something else.

You can go back to them and say they've done a fantastic work to get the car in sooner but as agreed it was scheduled for this date and the funds are not available. However with the car being exposed to the elements its not going to be the worse scenario, if you know how to detail you can restore the car's paintwork but then you shouldn't have to do that.

Can you ask your dealership to put a car cover at the very least till you get the funds sorted?

That's pretty poor. Is it a factory order too as you should have been given a build date and delivery so i can't see why it would arrive that quick.
Also I wouldn't worry as audi must be trained in getting the paint work like showroom condition surely

A little bit poor of the dealer to have the car ready out of the blue when you were expecting a March delivery.

Yes it is normal to hae the car stored outdoors, but it shouldnt really be at any risk, and its the responsibility of the dealer until you take the car anyway so why worry. The car is designed to sit outside in the elements and the audi dealers will tell you they can professionally prepare a car.

You might want to check the car is still under its delivery covers and also if its registered. If you can pick it up till March before you arrange funds then you might have an old plate car. Id personally get the car as soon as possible to enjoy the drive.

Reactions: JohnM100
This exact thing happened to me. I was quoted March 1st delivery. I then got a phone call late December to say your car is ready to be picked up!!

My first thoughts were the same it's not sitting in a car park for 3+ months. So I spoke to the dealer about it and we came to an agreement that he would sell on the built car and started a new factory build for me. So I can't fault the service there!

Just ask for it not to be pdi'd or prepped until your ready to collect it. Leave in its transit covers etc.
They stay outside for weeks at the docks and in port both at the factory and in the uk- with all kinds of shote all over them.

What wouldn't be good is the car being prepped and brought to the dealership and left outside sitting there covered in bird shote and the odd demonstration down the road for a prospective new customer, with a " we can't go far as this is a sale vehicle and not a demo," - like I had last week ! He assured me it wasn't sold and was "for sale - cancelled order." I wouldn't be so trusting if I were in your position.

Hi all,

So my a3 was originally scheduled to be delivered in March but a few days ago I was informed out of the blue that it'll be ready for collection on Monday. Thing is I need some time to get the funds ready and was told by the salesman that the car would just be parked outdoors exposed with no protection whatsoever until I collect it. Is this normal at all or am I experiencing bad service?

Cheers

It's a car... It's meant to be outdoors!

Reactions: h5djr and PilotAudi
Thanks all, the salesman told me he had no covers available. I'll try to get him to not pdi it before I collect. Regarding the paint job I've instructed the dealership to not valet it as I'll be taking it to a detailer after I collect

I'm in the same position with my car.

The worst case is that they ship it off site somewhere to a field and no one even looks at it until a week before collection.

Do not let them put a car cover on it though, more damage than it's worth with wind / rubbing etc

Is it really a problem. You car will have been outside at the factory in Ingolstadt before being loading onto open car-carrying train wagons. Travelled the length of Germany by train to Emden. Been outside until it was loaded onto the ship. Been stored outside when it was unloaded from the ship in the UK. Loaded on to a open road transporter and delivered to your dealer where it will have stood outside until it was PDI'd ready for collection. Cars are made to be outside!!

My own dealer's compound for new cars in part of an old American Air Force base which has now become a trading estate and is about 3-4 miles from the dealership. The trading estate does have 24/7 security which is good.

Reactions: Matthaden
It's no different to the way any other car is treated by the manufacturer, however at least Audi do put some protection on it. Cars are made to order now so at least their not sitting stored in their thousands in a field. As has been stated, it is a car, something really not to get wound up about unless there are obvious signs of damage to the paintwork. I'm certainly not losing any sleep over mine..