• 2 Post By cuke2u
  • 1 Post By Daveotto
  • 2 Post By pat15312

Thread: iPod lag and SD cards

1st Gear

Status

iPod lag and SD cards

Hi,

I have connected my old iPod mini to the MMI using the provided AMI cable (with dock connector) that came with the car. However, there is a bit of lag when moving the next track or previous track (about 2 seconds).

My previous A3 (without MMI but iPod connector in glove compartment) using the very same iPod was a lot more responsive.

Is it due to the MMI itself being slow or just the old iPod?

Is reading from an SD card more responsive?

Thanks,
    S.
    Last edited by sebtomato; 21st December 2013 at 14:40.
    Next: either a MK7 Golf GT DSG or a new Audi A3 S-tronic...
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-tronic 140 Sport, 58 reg
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI DSG 140 S-line, 05 reg

(test drove S3, 2.0 TFSI, 2.0 TDI 170)

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    There's absolutely no lag when playing from SD but i do personally believe your iPod is the one to blame.
    # Currently enjoying my Audi S3 8V Sportback in Estoril blue #

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks. I have tried the SD card and it's working fine indeed.

Does anybody have any lag with an iPod?

1st Gear

Status
    Yep, there is quite a bit of lag when using an iPod/iPhone with the AMI cable. Bit annoying as you'd expect this to be the best way to connect and listen to music in the car :/ I mean, who can be arsed to load music into an SD card?!? Right PITA...
    PilotAudi likes this.
    Audi 8V S3 s-tronic
    Phantom Black | Black styling pack | Titanium 18" alloy wheels | LED headlights
    Super sports seats | mono.pur
    | Bang & Olufsen | Advance key | Interior LEDs
    Technology pack | Audi Connect | Parking System Plus | Reversing Camera
    ACC | Hold assist | Pre-sense | Headlight assist | Privacy glass | TPMS
    LTE data by EE | Paint protection by Gtechniq | more to come...

6th Gear

Status
    Just as I cannot be 'arsed' to buy a ipod/phone. My little SD card will do it all for me as did the 32gb memory stick that was in my Focus. Not that I listen to anything other than the radio these days...
    Battlekrapz likes this.
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pat15312 View Post
    I mean, who can be arsed to load music into an SD card?!? Right PITA...
    Me for one, not exactly taxing to update your iTunes library onto an SD card once every month. If you like your music and want to have access to all your music it's worth the 5 minutes of "hassle" once in a while.

TBH am loving the music set up, SD card for iTunes stuff, DAB and Bluetooth my phone for Spotify premium content.....all the music I could ever want....happy days.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

6th Gear

Status
    I mean, who can be arsed to load music into an SD card?!? Right PITA...
    Yeh, copy and paste, such a pain :D
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    Why would I want to manually update an SD card periodically when an iPhone stays live and fresh all the time. I buy a song from iTunes or download a new podcast on my phone, it downloads, I play it through the car - easy. It also keeps my album artwork and play/skip count updated too. I can search using various different lists i.e. playlist, artist, song title, album title etc. Can you do this using the SD card or do you have to stick with the fixed Artist/Album/Song folder structure? If you had access to an iDevice why would you prefer to use an SD card? The only issue is the lag which is the question posed by the OP - it shouldn't exist and look to be an AMI issue.
    Audi 8V S3 s-tronic

6th Gear

Status
    Can you do this using the SD card or do you have to stick with the fixed Artist/Album/Song folder structure?
    You can navigate in exactly the same way - by artist, by album, by song, search all of them with the handwriting recognition, cover flow etc... But, I always navigate by folders because funnily enough, I've set the folder structure up in my preferred way, so I don't have to use the fixed way of navigating them that iDevices give you.

If you had access to an iDevice why would you prefer to use an SD card?
    Because iTunes is the single worst bit of software I've ever come across, Apple rip you off for mediocre devices and I have ultimate flexibility with my SD Card to use it how I want?
    Psyman79 likes this.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

5th Gear

Status
    Why would I want to manually update an SD card periodically when an iPhone stays live and fresh all the time. I buy a song from iTunes or download a new podcast on my phone, it downloads, I play it through the car - easy. It also keeps my album artwork and play/skip count updated too. I can search using various different lists i.e. playlist, artist, song title, album title etc. Can you do this using the SD card or do you have to stick with the fixed Artist/Album/Song folder structure? If you had access to an iDevice why would you prefer to use an SD card? The only issue is the lag which is the question posed by the OP - it shouldn't exist and look to be an AMI issue.
    I want to because my iPhone has only 16gb and my music collection is much larger so need to use the SD card for extra storage and use iPhone for storing off line Spotify content.......each to there own I suppose!!

and in relation to the OP question, I do get a slight lag from my iPhone, not sure it is as long as 2secs and TBH is not an issue for me
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

6th Gear

Status
    Download from Amazon onto my SD card, as easy as that. I shudder at the thought of using a Apple product...
    cemerson and Psyman79 like this.
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

1st Gear

Status
    Is there much lag with Spotify from iPhone via bluetooth?

Any good iPhone chargers as well?
    On Order - Audi S3 SB S-tronic, Estoril Blue, Black Alcantara Leather, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advance Key, ACC, LED Lights, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Non-Smoking Pack, Parking System Plus, Reverse Camera, B+O Sound System, Electric Folding Mirrors, Privacy Glass, Electric Lumbar + Adjustable Seats, High Beam Assist, Hill Hold, Load Through, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Tech Pack High with Audi Connect!!!

Provisional Build Week 4!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedsoff View Post
    Is there much lag with Spotify from iPhone via bluetooth?

Any good iPhone chargers as well?
    Have not noticed much in the way of a lag but is difficult to say for sure as by default Spotify buffers a few seconds of content to accommodate for network issues. I have experienced a couple of times is occasional loss of continuous play when buffer runs out and have put this down to poor signal rather then the connection fron phone to car.
    bleedsoff likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    I surrender!!!
    Daveotto and cemerson like this.
    Audi 8V S3 s-tronic

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    You can navigate in exactly the same way - by artist, by album, by song, search all of them with the handwriting recognition, cover flow etc...
    No, you can't unless you have the Tech Pack. With the standard MMI/SD card, you can only navigate the SD card by folder, whereas by artists etc through an iPod or iPhone, so you get more functionality through an iPod/iPhone, but a very annoying lag!