Chris NottAH Fabrications
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Fragup

Thread: Speakers...any good

1st Gear

Status

Speakers...any good

Just a quick one, how good are the oem speakes, my old 8p had standard stereo with sub in the boot and it was pretty good, my bmw has standard speakers and is poor...not so bad now as I upgraded and added tweeters etc...

Are the standard speakers as good as the old 8p, or would a upgrade be needed, if so would the audi system be worth it or do I need tomput my hand in my pockets for the b&o system. ?..

The cars for the mrs so I wont get full enjoyment out of the b&o system but do likemhalf decent sound when I drive it....
    Gone - A3 2.0 TDI (140) Sportback Sport

Now - BMW f10 520d

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    You don't get a subwoofer with the standard setup though. The Audi system is fine I think - sounds excellent to my ears and a hell of a lot cheaper than B&O, still goes plenty loud enough without distortion (I haven't reached that point yet anyway...)
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

2nd Gear

Status
    Standard system = 8 x passive speakers / 80 watts
    (no amp, sub woofer or centre speaker)
    Extra £0.00 (standard)
    In my opinion is ok / decent but not amazing will do for most people especially when on DAB radio is not rubbish at all.

Audi upgrade = 10 x speakers / 6 channel amp /180 watts
    (adds 6 channel amp which sits under passenger seat but you lose a tiny storage space / draw, sub woofer which sits inside spare wheel in boot and centre speaker which is better for phone calls)
    Extra £255.00
    In my opinion adds a bit of clarity & power, enough for me as I like my music, and if it helps with phone calls that will be a bonus.

B & O = 14 x speakers (upgraded) / 15 channel amp / 705 watts / LED lights in front doors on main speakers
    (adds 15 channel amp, sub woofer in boot, centre speaker, extra speakers in the pillars, upgraded speaker grills, ability to do 5.1 surround sound I.E. with DVD when not moving)
    Extra £750.00
    Not tested properly, but sounded great form the quick go i had at low ish volume, as i didn't have the budget for and worried I might love it !
    Is a lot of people's favourite option, so if you love your music loud, its the one to have, seams fair price for what you get and does away any need to upgrade ever as would be hard the better with after market installs for that sort of money.

there are good reviews on here somewhere if you look on old threads from the summer comparing. But Audi upgrade and especially B&O get very good reviews, wether its worth it is up to you and your budget.
    Last edited by Fragup; 9th November 2013 at 04:00.
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

3rd Gear

Status
    I bought the s3 because of the b&o......!

5th Gear

Status
    I've heard all three pop tons and the Audi sound system is the best value I think at £255.

The standard setup is weak and nobody likes to have a stereo that can't cope when you want to turn up that odd favourite song.

B&o is just lush, without doubt the best car HiFi I've heard and I've had a load of decent systems (Porsche Bose, range rover HK, MINI HK etc). The led strips on the speakers are a particular highlight, very classy and not tacky as you think they might be.

All that said, if you just want a bit of punch and more volume capability then the Audi sound system will be fine. We were surprised how good it was for the little it costs compared to the b&o.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

6th Gear

Status
    The Audi sound system is fine but £755. Audi have put a crap base system in UK cars to fund DAB it appears. However having heard all three and having Bose in current 8P and in B&O /Bose in previous Audis TT, 4/5/6 & 7.. it has to be B&O.
    SOLD 0201204 8P March 2011 Black Edition 2.0Tdi170 Sportback quattro..lots of bits... Others in the Garage......
    Arrived 1 March 2014 ..Phantom 2014 8V S3 Sportback. lots of bits, Pano roof, Tech Pack.TPMS, WOW ;-)