Speakers...any good

cjp2k

Reaction score
Just a quick one, how good are the oem speakes, my old 8p had standard stereo with sub in the boot and it was pretty good, my bmw has standard speakers and is poor...not so bad now as I upgraded and added tweeters etc...

Are the standard speakers as good as the old 8p, or would a upgrade be needed, if so would the audi system be worth it or do I need tomput my hand in my pockets for the b&o system. ?..

The cars for the mrs so I wont get full enjoyment out of the b&o system but do likemhalf decent sound when I drive it....

You don't get a subwoofer with the standard setup though. The Audi system is fine I think - sounds excellent to my ears and a hell of a lot cheaper than B&O, still goes plenty loud enough without distortion (I haven't reached that point yet anyway...)

Standard system = 8 x passive speakers / 80 watts
(no amp, sub woofer or centre speaker)
Extra £0.00 (standard)
In my opinion is ok / decent but not amazing will do for most people especially when on DAB radio is not rubbish at all.

Audi upgrade = 10 x speakers / 6 channel amp /180 watts
(adds 6 channel amp which sits under passenger seat but you lose a tiny storage space / draw, sub woofer which sits inside spare wheel in boot and centre speaker which is better for phone calls)
Extra £255.00
In my opinion adds a bit of clarity & power, enough for me as I like my music, and if it helps with phone calls that will be a bonus.

B & O = 14 x speakers (upgraded) / 15 channel amp / 705 watts / LED lights in front doors on main speakers
(adds 15 channel amp, sub woofer in boot, centre speaker, extra speakers in the pillars, upgraded speaker grills, ability to do 5.1 surround sound I.E. with DVD when not moving)
Extra £750.00
Not tested properly, but sounded great form the quick go i had at low ish volume, as i didn't have the budget for and worried I might love it !
Is a lot of people's favourite option, so if you love your music loud, its the one to have, seams fair price for what you get and does away any need to upgrade ever as would be hard the better with after market installs for that sort of money.

there are good reviews on here somewhere if you look on old threads from the summer comparing. But Audi upgrade and especially B&O get very good reviews, wether its worth it is up to you and your budget.

Last edited:
Reactions: 97catalunya and the_lecht_rocks
I've heard all three pop tons and the Audi sound system is the best value I think at £255.

The standard setup is weak and nobody likes to have a stereo that can't cope when you want to turn up that odd favourite song.

B&o is just lush, without doubt the best car HiFi I've heard and I've had a load of decent systems (Porsche Bose, range rover HK, MINI HK etc). The led strips on the speakers are a particular highlight, very classy and not tacky as you think they might be.

All that said, if you just want a bit of punch and more volume capability then the Audi sound system will be fine. We were surprised how good it was for the little it costs compared to the b&o.

The Audi sound system is fine but £755. Audi have put a crap base system in UK cars to fund DAB it appears. However having heard all three and having Bose in current 8P and in B&O /Bose in previous Audis TT, 4/5/6 & 7.. it has to be B&O.