EM TuningMonster Motorsport
    Reverse Gear

Status

Satellite navigation SD Card Based

Hi,

I have just ordered my S3 SB but cannot make my mind up regards the SD Card Sat Nav. Does anyone have one fitted? Is it any good? I have read that it has european mapping (2D of course which is great?) but do Audi provide any map updates as part of the deal? If i order the SD card NAV do i get an aerial on the roof :-)

Lots of questions I know, but very keen to hear from anyone with an SD Card NAV.

Cheers,

green3

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    1. I have SD card navigation and I think it works great compared to my old Garmin.
    2. You will have to buy map updates, but they will be available.
    3. The aerial serves multiple purposes and is always fitted.
    Conclusion, you will not be disappointed. Have fun!

4th Gear

Status
    I originally didn't spec the SD sat nav, but added to my order, I'm so glad I did.

After 2 weeks did a review in the thread class of 63 got the hang of things post # 30

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-...ng-things.html

in summary I'm very pleased with it, much better and more convenient than the Tom Tom I used previously.
    1st sept 2013 collection, proudly owning:
    A3 Sportback SE 1.6 TDI, scuba blue, folding mirrors, hill assist, SD sat nav, Xenon light package.

1st Gear

Status
    I have the SD card satnav and am pleased with it. It was a no cost option when the sportback first launched in March this year.
    It took a bit of getting used to, having been used to TomTom for several years.

It has been accurate (so far) and convenient to have it permanently in the car!

The quick recalculation of route in the event of traffic problems has been useful.
    I guess this feature will need to be renewed after a year?

I recommend you go for it if it's in budget.
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 150ps S Line
    Glacier White, Perforated Alcantara leather seats, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advanced Key, Audi Sound System, Hill-hold Assist, Comfort Package, Electric Lumbar Support - Front Seats, Interior Light Package, Open Sky Panoramic Sunroof, Sat Nav SD Card Based, Dab Digital Radio, Through Load Facility, Debadged.

Changed from A4 Avant S Line executive pack, Ibis white on 28.3.13

3rd Gear

Status
    Is the HDD satnav actually the same as the SD version, as far as mapping and graphics and general functionality are concerned?
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

2nd Gear

Status
    I dont like it, and dont use it at all now switched back to my garmin. I use postcodes and it doesnt get street names and numbers like my Garmin, no exact GPS speed either garmin shows this so handy in areas where cameras are a plenty. Maybe using it incorrectly but not a fan of card based nav's.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
    Is the HDD satnav actually the same as the SD version, as far as mapping and graphics and general functionality are concerned?
    No, I think the SD version doesn't have a 3D view for one (though not sure). I think there may be other differences as well.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    From what I see on other models...
    Hdd has higher res screen, is quicker, has better postcode/poi support and has 3d view. Oh and let's you store music on it (never personally used this as I have two sd card slots on my a1!)

You can kind of get an idea from here
    http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a4/a4...avigation.html

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    No, I think the SD version doesn't have a 3D view for one (though not sure). I think there may be other differences as well.
    On the SD version, there is a 3D option to view the map. However, IMO, it doesn't look particularly pleasing to the eye (probably due to the lower screen resolution). I always keep mine on 2D.

It would be interesting to have a tech pack sat nav and an SD card sat nav side by side to compare the differences.
    Last edited by A3sportbackMark; 1st October 2013 at 06:49.
    1st sept 2013 collection, proudly owning:
    A3 Sportback SE 1.6 TDI, scuba blue, folding mirrors, hill assist, SD sat nav, Xenon light package.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks to all who have replied - looks like I will have to add the SD Card SATNAV... Build date 9th December so hoping to get it first week in Jan 14. Nice.

Neutral

Status
    Hi can anyone tell me the latest firmware revision please, my car arrives today and I want to make sure the latest was fitted, thanks.
    2013 A3 SB 2.0TDI S line, Dakota Grey, Half Leather, Sports suspension, SD card Sat Nav, Cruise control, DAB radio, Audi sound system, Through-load facility, Hold assist, Heated front seats​

Neutral

Status
    Correction: I wrote that the rooftop antenna (which has several functions) is always fitted. This is not the case, I just spotted an A3 without it. So when ordering without phonebox or navigation, it might be missing.

Banned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by felsby View Post
    Correction: I wrote that the rooftop antenna (which has several functions) is always fitted. This is not the case, I just spotted an A3 without it. So when ordering without phonebox or navigation, it might be missing.
    Double correction. The loaner we have does not have phone box or Nav BUT it does have the antenna .. Check!!!

Neutral

Status
    thanks... Must consult my Audi Selbststudienprogram...