Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By snowfree52
  • 1 Post By karlabdool
  • 4 Post By Fragup

Thread: Refuel warning

4th Gear

Status

Refuel warning

Refuel warning appeared on the way home this evening for the first and said refuel in 55 miles and I drove another 10 miles before filling up.

I might be imagining this but I thought when the light first came on the colour of the fuel pump symbol in the DIS was green and by time I pulled into the garage I am sure it was more of a Greeny amber. Was this my mind playing tricks or does the colour eventually turn red when down to last few miles until empty?

if it does that's a pretty cool feature.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Not sure, didn't really notice it the 1st time. Just remember it was green and made a 'ping' sound every time I started the car. Will have to take a look on my next refill.
    On order (June 2013):
    Audi A3 Sportback Sport 1.4 TFSI, Scuba Blue, Xenon light package, Comfort package, Folding door mirrors & Advance Key
    Confirmed build date early August Built, delivery September for 63 plate, ​collection on 2nd Sept 12pm COLLECTED

6th Gear

Status
    Not had it that low yet. I know with connect though that it can initiate a search for nearby fuel stations when your fuel warning comes on, which is pretty neat
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    Mine came on when I was coming back on the motorway this evening and it was amber, if that helps. Never seen it green before
    2013 Audi A3 (8V) Sportback 2.0TDI Sport | Brilliant Black | Xenon Lights | Comfort Pack | 17" Kinetic Alloys | Sat Nav

Previous Cars: 02 Mini Cooper - 05 Mini Cooper - 03 BMW 320D M Sport - 07 BMW 118d M Sport

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton5071 View Post
    Mine came on when I was coming back on the motorway this evening and it was amber, if that helps. Never seen it green before

never saw it green either, it is sorta yellow /gold in this pic (i double checked the hd pic on my phone), and i think it first appeared this colour, or was it amber when it first appeared....hmmm but it def. wasnt green
    Attached Images Attached Images

Reverse Gear

Status
    Yeah mine was the same as that.
    2013 Audi A3 (8V) Sportback 2.0TDI Sport | Brilliant Black | Xenon Lights | Comfort Pack | 17" Kinetic Alloys | Sat Nav

Previous Cars: 02 Mini Cooper - 05 Mini Cooper - 03 BMW 320D M Sport - 07 BMW 118d M Sport

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Not had it that low yet. I know with connect though that it can initiate a search for nearby fuel stations when your fuel warning comes on, which is pretty neat
    I think this is a standard feature of the sat nav as my tech pack does this too. And agreed, the fuel warning is amber
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Neutral

Status
    I never let mine get that low, you do not know what may get sucked up into the fuel lines from the tank,

Neutral

Status
    Same as Grahamb never let it get that low, ran out of fuel once and had trouble with carb getting blocked so learnt a lesson.

Full LED baby !

Status
    With all my cars I almost always go until there is 20 km left, sometimes even 0km because I know I still have like 3 liters left. Never had issues whatsoever.
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

Neutral

Status
    The normal SD Nav has this feature of searching for fuel when low. The demo SE had this on test drive.

A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 150 S Line - Brilliant Black, Black Styling Package, Black Roof Rails, Model and Tech Deletion, Comfort Package, Audi Sound System, SD Sat Nav, Privacy Glass, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Package, Hold Assist, Through Load Facility, Non Smoking Pack and S Line Suspension.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH38 View Post
    Same as Grahamb never let it get that low, ran out of fuel once and had trouble with carb getting blocked so learnt a lesson.
    Obviously these cars don't have carburettors! Still with fuel filters, and a brand new shiny tank, there shouldn't be any debris to block the fuel system.

Full LED baby !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by outlaw7 View Post
    The normal SD Nav has this feature of searching for fuel when low. The demo SE had this on test drive.
    I think the MMI with connect can give you the gas prices as well
    cemerson likes this.
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Porsche BBK...

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfree52 View Post
    With all my cars I almost always go until there is 20 km left, sometimes even 0km because I know I still have like 3 liters left. Never had issues whatsoever.
    Seems i must have been dreaming my refuel light was green yesterday

Agree miles to empty is always cautious, My average mpg is 50mpg based on last tank of fuel and when I filled up yesterday DIS was saying 45 miles to empty but I only put in 43 litres to get a full tank.So, tank size is 50litres so there were 7 litres remaining or approx 1.5 gallons, therefore could have gone in theory another 75 miles and not the 45 as displayed.

Personally I never let it get that low and fill up so as I can once refuel light appears on the basis that in the fullness of time there will always be a load of crud in the bottom of the tank and more chance of it getting carried through into the engine if running down to the last couple of litres on a regular basis.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

BGS
    1st Gear

Status
    This might be a QI / Alan Davies moment - sirens etc, but is fuel not taken from the bottom of the tank regardless of how full it is?
    A3 1.4tfsi CoD Saloon Stron Sline - Misano Red & 19's
    Advanced Key, Mag Ride, Parking Plus, B&O Sound, Driver Assist Pack, Extended Mono Interior, Super Sport Seats, Heated Seats, Hold Assist, Int Lighting, LED Headlights, Prog Steering, Reversing Cam, Tech Pack - High.

6th Gear

Status
    That's what I thought... and there is a fuel filter anyway, I'm sure it's not the concern everyone makes it out to be.

Here's another view: Always run your tank to empty, that way, there is no chance for impurities to build up and settle on the bottom :P
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahamb View Post
    I never let mine get that low, you do not know what may get sucked up into the fuel lines from the tank,
    Ou don't have a floating auction, you have a FIXED pipe so if there's crud in the tank it will get sucked up any way unless it is floating crud which I doubt it. The pipe wil be approx 4mm from the bottom of the tank which is usually for water and sludge.

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

Neutral

Status
    With a diesel, running low will not all ways result in crud, it is a possibility, and if in the event you do run out, and it is the same system as a lorry the injectors would need bleeding,

But if you want to sell your car in a spur of the moment, a low tank is a good opption

5th Gear

Status
    Hi, diesels have a fuel filter to prevent crud from getting to the injectors, but obviously it wouldn't prevent water. It is changed at periodic intervals, not sure about petrol engines though...

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Seems i must have been dreaming my refuel light was green yesterday
    hey dave, maybe you were not dreaming after all
    Test for Colorblindness On-line

let us know if you pass.
    Daveotto likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by karlabdool View Post
    hey dave, maybe you were not dreaming after all
    Test for Colorblindness On-line

let us know if you pass.
    I read a few years ago that someone tried to get off of a fine for driving through a red light by claiming he was travelling at the perfect speed to alter the colour (frequency) of the light waves so they appeared green, the judge told him it was nonsense, but someone pointed out this was possible, but you would have the be travelling at about 170,000 miles per second relative to the lights. The driver took the fine for the red light rather than the speeding fine.
    i know the 2.0 diesels are really good engines but... and that would really mess up you MPG !
    Daveotto, Belfin, cemerson and 1 others like this.
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

Full LED baby !

Status
    You both made my day !!!
    Porsche BBK...