• 1 Post By RobbieWebs
  • 1 Post By f1nny
  • 1 Post By RobbieWebs

Thread: S-line suspension

Reverse Gear

Status

S-line suspension

Hi all

I've placed an order for an A3 SB s-line with the s-line suspension.

On reading all the reviews most journos are recommending avoiding the s-line suspension.

Those of you who have the s-line suspension is it really as bad as made out? What car would you compare the suspension with?

i have driven loads of cars with firm suspension and don't mind them but the misses hates the ride on my current car so wondering whether I have made the right decision with s-line suspension.

Thanks in advance.

Cal

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Hi Cal67. Plenty of these discussions on this forum already. You will find that those who ordered S-Line suspension love it and those who avoided it don't like it! I would compare it with my current Golf GTi, maybe a bit firmer. I was looking for something softer this time around so I went for SE suspension.<br>Did you at least test drive the Sports suspension?
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
    Hi Cal67. Plenty of these discussions on this forum already. You will find that those who ordered S-Line suspension love it and those who avoided it don't like it! I would compare it with my current Golf GTi, maybe a bit firmer. I was looking for something softer this time around so I went for SE suspension.<br>Did you at least test drive the Sports suspension?
    Thanks for the response.

Most comments/discussions I came across were comparing to previously owned Audis, none of which I have first hand experience of. Yes I did drive the sports suspension and in comparison to the Civic Type R I have at the moment the sports was more comfortable. I'm hoping the sline will be somewhere in between the the sport and type r. If as you say it's on a par with the GTi then I don't anticipate any issues.

Cal

2nd Gear

Status
    The s-line suspension was described by one newspaper motoring correspondent as 'like a church pew on granite'
    A3 2.0TDI Sportback S Line 184 Quattro S-Tronic, Mar. 2014 Glacier white. Electric seats, sunroof, se suspension, heated folding mirrors, Reversing camera, Nappa leather, TPMS, Hold assist, Xenon plus adaptive lights with variable active range control, lane assist, Interior light pack, Technology pack, Comfort pack with ACC, park assist & parking system plus

1st Gear

Status
    S-Line suspension all the way. It is not as hard as people are making out, what area are you in if you were near me I would let you test it, see if some one in your area would do the same for you, hope you find the right set up for you.

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

1st Gear

Status
    2nd that! S Line suspension all the way! It's firm don't get me wrong but speed humps don't feel bad at all, I do avoid pot holes but that's due to avoiding unnecessary wear and tear or poss damage to anything. I'd also do this without lower suspension. I find road noise a bit of an issue but this is the car in general I guess as its always been a complaint through the A3 models and ranges.
    Thumbs up from me though
    A3 S Line 1.8 TFSI Quattro S Tronic
    Brilliant Red, Acoustic parking, Adaptive/Xenons plus, Advanced Key, B&O, Comfort pack, Door mirrors, Interior light pack, Privacy Glass, S Line sports suspension, Tyre Pressure Monitor, SD SatNav
    Happy days

6th Gear

Status
    It's always going to be down to personal preference, to the point that reading what others think about it is next to useless! The only way to decide between them is going to be to test them out yourself and see which you prefer
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

5th Gear

Status
    The only way is to test drive one before ordering really, save being disappointed..

Reverse Gear

Status
    Picked ours up last night with sport suspension and it's fine. Slightly bumpy but fine

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldoug View Post
    S-Line suspension all the way. It is not as hard as people are making out, what area are you in if you were near me I would let you test it, see if some one in your area would do the same for you, hope you find the right set up for you.
    thanks dieseldoug. Re-assuring to know suspensions not so hard. Missus will be pleased.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    The only way is to test drive one before ordering really, save being disappointed..
    Not as simple as you say. None of the dealers within reasonable travel have a demonstrator with s line suspension.

5th Gear

Status
    Pity, I will not buy a car unless I can test the exact same or something very similar. Certainly the type of suspension and the wheels size can affect your choice and there is no way I'd cough up that kind of money to find I didn't like the ride. I'd also would like to drive my choice of car on roads I frequent so I can get a true representation. Volvo would let me have a car for a weekend.
    Last edited by cuke2u; 25th September 2013 at 21:38.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal67 View Post
    Not as simple as you say. None of the dealers within reasonable travel have a demonstrator with s line suspension.
    I had the same problem, between Sport and S line suspension. Hardest choice i had of all spec to get right.
    No local dealer had a car to test in S line set up, so I took there S line with Sport suspension out again for a much longer run, but on the roughest roads and bendy back lanes and found the sport suspension so close to perfect for me, so I went with sport without testing the S line suspension, I like a firm set up, but any firmer than the sports setup around my way with rough roads and would have been a compromise on comfort too much, as much for passengers than me and had already changed to sportback from 3 door to have the possibility of giving elderly family members a lift when needed.
    Already found the suspension brilliantly grippy and good at cornering and the handling was excellent so couldn't see much of a gain on that front, although some will say it adds to the fun side a bit having S line set up.
    It will always be down to your personal choice, but if you can't test S line set up then take the Sport suspension out and push it on rough roads and corners and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how sporty it can be (it's called sport suspension not medium set up for a reason) I have come from sports suspension on last 2 Hondas and found the sports setup on the A3 slightly firmer than CRZ and Civic S type GT, but more comfortable partly down to the great seats. My local dealer says the vast majority of s lines they had sold had been sports set up, so can't see any down side when you come to trade in / sell as will be a normal either way. SE spoils the appearance too much for me on an S line with the add side skirts / bumpers, just looks wrong on the ones I have seen and I don't like the ride on softer setup.
    all personal I know.
    good luck, hope this helps.
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quick update

Been out in an A3 with s line suspension today. Found the ride firmer than most cars I've driven lately. On a smooth surface it's not bad and almost un-noticeable; speed bumps however will need to be treated with care. On slightly bumpy roads the ride is firm but not jiggly and the car copes well enough. All in all, the suspension is something we can live with and we've decided to stick with the s line suspension. Roll on January.
    dieseldoug likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    I was out in a saloon with the sport suspension and it felt harder and transmitted more of the bumps into the cabin than my car with 18" wheels. I do not know what the S-Line would be like but the salesperson mentioned residuals when I said about having the S-Line suspension removed..

1st Gear

Status
    Cal67,
    Glad you got the chance to try the S-Lins suspension, it's a good all round suspension.

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldoug View Post
    Cal67,
    Glad you got the chance to try the S-Lins suspension, it's a good all round suspension.
    Thanks dieseldoug. From the time spent in the car, I agree with your assessment.
    dieseldoug likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    I was out in a saloon with the sport suspension and it felt harder and transmitted more of the bumps into the cabin than my car with 18" wheels. I do not know what the S-Line would be like but the salesperson mentioned residuals when I said about having the S-Line suspension removed..
    i think the saloon is slightly bigger than the hatchback and with 18" wheels it will feel differently to the hatchback as well. I couldn't fault the sports suspension on the hatchback and wanted the s line suspension more for aesthetic looks and handling but not at the expense of it being bone jarringly hard which I now know it isn't. Have you driven the hatchback with sports suspension to get a comparison?

3rd Gear

Status
    I can't see S line suspension being any worse than the 8p ...
    Plus it looks great
    f1nny likes this.
    Audi A3 2010 2.0 TDI 140 Black Edition

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieWebs View Post
    I can't see S line suspension being any worse than the 8p ...
    Plus it looks great
    Definitely agree with you on that one, the 8P was a shocking hard ride, even my A1's was a hard ride but it didn't help having 225/35/18 tyres.

Compared to them two I find the new A3 S-Line Suspension more forgiving, still quite a firm ride though.

Finny
    RobbieWebs likes this.
    Previous Car - Audi A3 (8P) S-Line SB 2.0 TFSI
    Previous Car - Audi A1 S-Line 1.2 TFSI /Xenon Light Pack / 18" 7 Twin Spoke Alloys / Cruise Control.
    Current Car - Audi A3 (8V) S-Line 1.2 TFSI / Glacier White / S-Line Suspension / Interior Light Pack / De-Badged /
    5 Year Warranty
    / Ordered 2nd July 13 / Build Week 36 / Picked Up 20th Sep 13

3rd Gear

Status
    Suppose it's really what u need the car for .....
    Sport for normal folk ....
    S - line for the enthusiasts that like throwing it around the back roads at the weekends lol
    Richyboyp likes this.
    Audi A3 2010 2.0 TDI 140 Black Edition

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal67 View Post
    Have you driven the hatchback with sports suspension to get a comparison?
    Hi, no because I'm not interested in buying one, only the saloon.