drive select

karlabdool

Reaction score
hi all,

Is there anyway to jump from auto to dynamic and dynamic to auto directly?. I usually use the drive select switch and going from auto to dynamic is simple, but to return to auto i have to cycle through the other modes.

Using the mmi just takes too long and requires too much attention.

I dont like leaving it on dynamic since the revs are too high, esp when following a slow car for some time.
When I get a small window for overtaking i need to get everything out of the car and therefore jump to dynamic for the pass.

It would be nice to have a dedicated 'dynamic mode' button like 'sport button' on bmws.

Surely if you put your foot down in auto it does the same as dynamic anyway?

no since in auto the car might be in 6th or 7th when cruising behind the slow car and there will be a delay when i kick down unlike dynamic where it will be high revving in 3rd ready to attack.

I guess i will have to just drive the car manual...I still think dynamic mode could be a bit more sensible with the high revs.

Have you tried to slide it into sport mode?

If Audi list the drive modes in the order on they are set up on the car, i.e.
Comfort, Dynamic, Auto, Efficiency and Individual.
then couldn't you set up Individual mode same as Dynamic, which just means a double press on the drive select button when in Auto would take you to Individual instead of 4 presses to get to Dynamic, which is just that little bit easier when you in a rush to over take.
just an idea, as haven't got mine to test yet, but if there is not a better way to do could be an easy compromise to sort.

What I do: my car is normally in efficiency mode and so like you the gears are wrong for power. Kick down does work well though if I'm honest. Do if I want to change to dynamic I just pull back on the selector which then puts it in 'sport' I just assume this is dynamic although someone may say otherwise. Once I've overtaken I then pull selector back and it returns to E. now I assume if you are in 'auto' this is what it would return to but not tried as I always run E. other option is push selector to the left and manually change gear, that's also fun.
Hope this helps

I just use the paddles when I want to overtake. Just pop it down a gear or 2 overtake then hold the right hand up paddle for a couple of seconds and it returns to auto ;) or just leave it and after a period of time it will switch back to auto it's self.

This maybe a really stupid question, but is drive select only available on s-tronic models?

No, available on everything I think (can't remember about SE though, could just be Sport trim upwards)

Configurator says Sport upwards, so on everything except SE models

A bit easier than using the drive select switch is to assign this functionality to the programmable steering wheel button. This enables you to toggle through the different modes with both hands on the steering wheel. Not exactly what was requested but perhaps a bit easier.

Reactions: Fragup
A bit easier than using the drive select switch is to assign this functionality to the programmable steering wheel button. This enables you to toggle through the different modes with both hands on the steering wheel. Not exactly what was requested but perhaps a bit easier.

I have done this too, shame it can't be used as a shortcut directly to dynamic mode though.

This sounds better, how do you go about programming the button?

Was going to suggest the button on the steering wheel but not sure if that button is across the models and I also knew it only toggles through not just selects one driver style

Sounds as close to a "push to pass" or "overtake" button as can be expected. Ace!

Obviously pulling the selector back is while the car is in D. :)

Yes, thats right if you just pull the selector back it goes into s-mode if you pull back one more time you are in normal mode again. however this will only change the gear selection and acceleration to normal s-mode but it will not change the chassie and also not change the steering etc to dynamic.

Regards,
Tom

that's a cool feature, didn't realise you could do that. Bonus !

Yes, thats right if you just pull the selector back it goes into s-mode if you pull back one more time you are in normal mode again. however this will only change the gear selection and acceleration to normal s-mode but it will not change the chassie and also not change the steering etc to dynamic.

Regards,
Tom

hi, when you say pull back , do you really mean to the side so as to engage the + - manual shifting in sport mode? or is there actually another notch down when in D that takes you to automatic sport mode?

hi, when you say pull back , do you really mean to the side so as to engage the + - manual shifting in sport mode? or is there actually another notch down when in D that takes you to automatic sport mode?

No, not to the side because then you will be in manual sport mode. In the normal D position just pull it a little back and you will see in the display that the D disappears and a S shows up.

Regards,
Tom

Yes, but just to clarify for karlabdool - unlike the separate "S" position on the 8P s-tronic selector, this is just a case of moving the selector backwards and then releasing it. As it's spring-loaded it will return to the "D" position, but the box will be in "S" mode until you do the same again.

Yes, but just to clarify for karlabdool - unlike the separate "S" position on the 8P s-tronic selector, this is just a case of moving the selector backwards and then releasing it. As it's spring-loaded it will return to the "D" position, but the box will be in "S" mode until you do the same again.

exactly

No, not to the side because then you will be in manual sport mode. In the normal D position just pull it a little back and you will see in the display that the D disappears and a S shows up.

Regards,
Tom

great this should work fine, better than cycling through the drive modes...but one question, when in auto drive select mode and cruising slowly(50-60 kmph) in D6 or D7, if i go to dynamic the car will downshift to S3. Will this downshift happen when i 'pull back'? or will it remain in the same gear(S6 or S7).
Will try it today if i get the time.

thanks tom

It will down shift right away. Same as dynamic. And pretty sure when pulled back again it will revert to what drive select you were in originally. I use this all the time :)

Reactions: karlabdool
I have been using "Dynamic" a little more now as the miles are building up.
I have noticed when I change to dynamic obviously the gearbox will go into sport mode. But after leaving the car then getting back in when I start it up the gearbox is in D not S even though the drive select is in "Dynamic"
Is this normal, I don't know if its just protecting the engine as it is still cold? If so does it automatically go back into S when warm?

On the subject of drive select, what are all the possible settings when programming the individual mode? on an S3 test car last week I did have a quick look but cannot recall all the customisable options. I know that the steering was one, engine sound another (though is that S3 specific?) what about the shift points of the s- tronic ?

Throttle, ACC, Cornering light (god knows what that does), Steering on mine I think

Throttle, ACC, Cornering light (god knows what that does), Steering on mine I think
Thanks for that. ACC - you mean the adaptive cruise? What setting options for that - the follow distance?
From your sig info, looks like yours is Manual.
Can anyone out there let me know about the s tronic settings and what can be adjusted within Drive Select?

Yeh, adaptive cruise. Not really played with it much but I assume dynamic will stick more closely to the speed or the car in front, and comfort is a bit more relaxed about it