ACC extra menu - enable with VCDS?

cemerson

Reaction score
On page 121 of the manual there is a note that says:

Distance 3 is sot automatically each time the ignition is switched on. If you would prefer to have a different distance as the default setting, you can have the adaptive cruise control menu extended/activated by a qualified workshop.

Does anyone know how to do this with VCDS? I'm sure the dealers would try and charge me a bomb for it...

On the subject of VCDS as well, is changing the settings with it in any way dodgy in terms of warranty, insurance etc? Is there a danger of things you've changed being overridden again at a service or anything like that?

Cheers all!

In regards the your 2nd question. If you have the cable and software you can revert back to the stock quite easily. Unless the software has some sort of time stamp to track the changes.

I've got my dealer to do it anyway, it's going in to the garage on Monday for something else and he's going to do this at the same time, as well as sort out the lane assist which keeps telling me I've let go of the steering wheel when I haven't!

please keep us posted , i also have the same problem with my lane assist.
Bare in mind that lane assist is configured by the factory to warn you 15 seconds after you let go of the steering wheel.
however i believe that that the sensor is triggered by the force you apply on the steering wheel in order to direct the car.
so in case you are driving in a straight line without moving the steering wheel at all is what triggers the alarm.
in my opinion this is a poorly implemented security measure to keep you from letting the car drive itself.

Its a real pitty since with lane assist activated and in conjuction with ACC , the car can actually drive itself even with angled turns.
(well i've chickened to let go in extreme turns to be honest)

Yes, I've said the same thing about lane assist - I don't mind it wanting me to hold on to the steering wheel, as long as the system works - and it doesn't, clearly. My dealer seems to think it can be turned off (the warning), I'm not so sure, but I'll be pursuing it as it isn't fit for purpose in its current state. I've seen technical documents from VW about the lane assist (which is the same unit), and it does rely on force through the wheel - it relies on bumps and variations in the road surface which move the wheels slightly, and then the resistance to the steering wheel moving in response to this, but it just isn't sensitive enough most of the time. If that can be turned off by VCDS, then great. If it can be fixed so it knows when I'm holding the steering wheel or not then that's also fine with me as long as it works properly.

It's great on the motorway pretty much not having to touch anything apart from changing lane occasionally and changing gear even less occasionally, but it doesn't really work on sharp corners very well - nor would I expect it to either!

Garage have had my car for 3 DAYS now (though they were modifying the towbar electrics at the same time), but I should get it back tonight and will report on whether what they have done has worked or not!

Well, I have my car back and the towbar electrics at least appear to be sorted, however the other 2 issues aren't! They said the lane assist was working normally (It might be working 'as designed' but not 'as sold' so I'm taking this further), and they said that my car doesn't have the option of the extra ACC menu, even though the manual says it does - I'm taking this further too! We shall see what happens...

Just out of interest, which number do you want to change the ACC to? I find the default distance 3 to be very good indeed.

But mainly, if a settings menu is there, I always want access to it in case I change my mind later on and want to change it! It contains other settings as well

I nearly always change it to 2

I use 2 as well and have already tried to get Audi to change this. I also tried to get them to remove the ACC warning but they refused. I am waiting for a VCDS option for this but don't know anybody who has cracked it.

I am also keen to get Video in Motion for the kids but as yet this doesnt seem to have been done with VCDS.

LEt me know how you get on tho!

I use 2 as well and have already tried to get Audi to change this. I also tried to get them to remove the ACC warning but they refused. I am waiting for a VCDS option for this but don't know anybody who has cracked it.

I am also keen to get Video in Motion for the kids but as yet this doesnt seem to have been done with VCDS.

LEt me know how you get on tho!

did your read the whole topic ?

I posted the vcds link for the A4 but I bet it's the same for the A3

You posted the link to the ACC menu, not the lane assist warning (which I think he meant)

he responded to your post and I believe you talked about the ACC

Went back in to talk to the Master Tech at my local dealers about both issues - Lane Assist and ACC menu. They are going to take the car back in to have another go at enabling the ACC menu - I think they just don't know how to do it rather than it not being able to be done. Don't know about the lane assist though, they are going to de some more testing on it now I've explained it fully to the tech to see if anything can be done to fix the 'broken' detection for holding on to the steering wheel.

Well, my car is going back in on Monday for them to have another go at this now that the master tech knows what I am after... here's hoping they manage this time!

Is this referring to the distance that the ACC will let you get to the car in front, from very close to a longer distance ? If it is, I'm surprised that the A3 doens't let you adjust it on the fly, so to speak, as my MK7 GTD has the ACC as standard, and using the steering wheel buttons, I can control the "distance" to the car in front in 6 stages (with a little graphic that pops up in the MFD to show you).

ACC by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Strange because I thought it was Audi that got all the goodies with VW just getting some of them ? In anycase, I'd imagine the electronics are shared across both marques, so guess it must be available.

you can do it as well in the A3, what we are interested in here is that with coding, do can choose in the MMI how far you want to be by defaut instead of being the farther

The golf has a speed limiter though which isn't available on the A3, something I really miss from my old car

No, there is a permanent speed warning in the MMI, I'm talking about a speed LIMITER. You get it on the golf, I had it on my old Nissan, on a Citroen C3 I hired, all sorts of other cars... physically stops you going over a certain speed. It's set in the same way as the cruise control and designed to be adjusted as you drive. Perfect for speed cameras & 30 zones etc. I guess it's just not the 'Audi way' to have a speed limiter, which is a shame.

One thing though... if they ever do introduce it to the A3 (and they might because Euro NCAP marks them down for not offering that sort of thing now, and the unit they use certainly supports it being the same as the Golf one), I hope it can be retrofitted with a new stalk and some coding or something!

No, there is a permanent speed warning in the MMI, I'm talking about a speed LIMITER. You get it on the golf, I had it on my old Nissan, on a Citroen C3 I hired, all sorts of other cars... physically stops you going over a certain speed. It's set in the same way as the cruise control and designed to be adjusted as you drive. Perfect for speed cameras & 30 zones etc. I guess it's just not the 'Audi way' to have a speed limiter, which is a shame.

my mistake.
I see what you mean, I thought it was how the speed warning worked.
if it exists in the golf, maybe with a bit of coding we could get it

No, there is a permanent speed warning in the MMI, I'm talking about a speed LIMITER. You get it on the golf, I had it on my old Nissan, on a Citroen C3 I hired, all sorts of other cars... physically stops you going over a certain speed.

I understand the logic for the permanent speed warning and have mine set already.
However I would never want a physical limiter as that restricts options to avoid an incident on the road. Sometimes you brake, usually steer but I have had a couple of times when I needed to accelerate to get out of the way of an impending incident and would never want a limiter for precisely that reason. If 50 SPECS etc then I just use cruise control.

What would be nice is a 2nd temporary speed warning that could be set easily and is separate from the permanent one. My old A3 8L had it but can't see it on the 8V.

John.

If you press the pedal all the way down past the kickdown it overrides the limit temporarily, so there's no problem in that respect.

I've ACC as part of the driver assistance pack. Supposedly this gives an extended control range of up to 124mph. However, I've noticed that you can't set it to a speed higher than 100mph, at least not by pushing the stalk up. It doesn't bother me (I value my licence, job and freedom too much), but possibly this is also something that can be changed in the extra menu.

I've noticed that too. Car is with the garage again at the moment, I have an A4 1.8T in the meantime (missing my car already!), see how they get on this time I guess!

Just had a call from Audi - sounds like they've enabled the ACC menu, and have submitted my lane assist queries to Audi as a fault and are awaiting a response, so here's hoping :) I also mentioned that the lane assist seems to want to sit me right over on the left hand edge of the lane on a motorway which is something I've noticed, so hopefully that can be sorted too so it sits somewhere more central.

Well, here's the result of the first bit! Still working on the lane assist

Not much to the extra ACC menu, only the default distance, but I'm happy with that :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383070630803.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383070630803.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,256
  • uploadfromtaptalk1383070647314.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383070647314.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 836
Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff777LUFC

Not much to the extra ACC menu, only the default distance, but I'm happy with that :)

Good stuff, take it you don't know the coding they used?

No, sorry. As far as I could work out from reading stuff online (though this may be wrong), you have to enable the hidden engineering menu, and then it can be set from within that.

Reactions: Silky-S3

If that's all there is to it I don't think I'll bother - I'm used to selecting distance 2 as soon as I activate ACC now.

I was hoping there might be a tweak to make dynamic a bit more, well, dynamic. It seems to be OK if there's a major difference between current and requested speed, but increases of less than about 5-10 MPH seem to take an age, which can mean that you take long enough to get ahead of a car that's just moved over into a gap in the slower traffic that it pulls out again.

Yeh, it's not much but they did it while it was in for something else, did it for free and gave me a courtesy car while mine was in so can't complain too much. Still has to go back for the lane assist issues I'm having though (and those are actual issues rather than just preferences :/)

Did you notice the picture of the car in that ACC menu is a don't-mention-the-name VII :faint: