AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
    3rd Gear

Status

Bang & Olufsen v's Audi Sound System

Currently speccing up an A3 S-Line to order and can't decide on which audio option to go for. I had an A3 Sport on test from the dealer which apparently had the standard system. It was a little disappointing compared with the sound system in my A4.

The demo A3 had a sub in the spare wheel but it wasn't branded B&O. I questioned the salesman but he was adamant that it wasn't upgraded.

Can anyone confirm if their standard system has the sub in the wheel well?

Also interested to know if anyone went for the audi sound system for £255 and how it compares?

The B&O in the showroom sounded great but £750 is a big hit.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I'm pretty sure the standard sound system doesn't include a sub so it sounds like maybe it had the Audi sound system upgrade in it.

I don't know how the Audi sound system compares to the B&O because I've never heard it but I do know the B&O is awesome
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

3rd Gear

Status
    Cheers.

The showroom car sounded awesome.... just giving myself a hard time justifying the expense!

If the standard system doesn't have a sub and I was listening to the mid-range option, it'll be a far easier decision.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

1st Gear

Status
    Hittchy,

I have ordered the Audi sound system with DAB and the Tech Pack , my company would not let me stretch to the B&O system .

However , I would do some digging at the dealer with regard to the standard radio . Both the Audi sound system & the B&O system do not upgrade the radio . The radio on the tech pack is a triple tuner unit with phase diversity but I am not sure what the standard radio is. I have therefore gone for the best radio and medium sound system - just wonder if the B&O system might be wasted on the standard radio

Would be interesting to know what the standard spec radio is thou

Chester

Reverse Gear

Status

Bang & Olufsen v's Audi Sound System

Just my opinion, but I dnt think that b&o is worth it coz I sat in an a3 recently and had a listen to it, nothing special , unless we getting a banged up and olufsen version in south Africa, I would personally take that extra money and put in two custom rockford splits and and 8inch rf sub , just a thought, would sound much better.

I was surprised at how weak it was because I've heard a b&o in a s8 and that was a totally different sound, guess the a3 can't get same STD As a s8

3rd Gear

Status
    I think the head unit is the same on all three unless you get DAB or the tech pack.

After listening to the Bang and Olufsen system, I think I'm sold. It's the one option I regretted missing out on my current car, although the sound pack on the A4 was £600 for B&O and DAB combined.... far more palatable.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by arnotur View Post
    Just my opinion, but I dnt think that b&o is worth it coz I sat in an a3 recently and had a listen to it, nothing special , unless we getting a banged up and olufsen version in south Africa, I would personally take that extra money and put in two custom rockford splits and and 8inch rf sub , just a thought, would sound much better.

I was surprised at how weak it was because I've heard a b&o in a s8 and that was a totally different sound, guess the a3 can't get same STD As a s8
    True.... The A8 B&O runs to about £8k IIRC.

1st Gear

Status
    I demo'd an A3 with the Audi sound system. That had a sub woofer in the boot in the spare wheel well and sounded good.

Not heard the B&O system but the Audi upgrade is what I have ordered!

I have seen a comment somewhere which indicated that the Audi sound system is unbranded Bose, not able to confirm that though!
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 150ps S Line
    Glacier White, Perforated Alcantara leather seats, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advanced Key, Audi Sound System, Hill-hold Assist, Comfort Package, Electric Lumbar Support - Front Seats, Interior Light Package, Open Sky Panoramic Sunroof, Sat Nav SD Card Based, Dab Digital Radio, Through Load Facility, Debadged.

Changed from A4 Avant S Line executive pack, Ibis white on 28.3.13

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by arnotur View Post
    And completely void the warranty on your brand new car.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester Draws View Post
    The radio on the tech pack is a triple tuner unit with phase diversity but I am not sure what the standard radio is. I have therefore gone for the best radio and medium sound system - just wonder if the B&O system might be wasted on the standard radio
    i thought I was reasonably up with tech but I have absolutely no idea what a triple tuner with phase diversity is, or does
    A3 Sportback 1.8TFSI S-Line S-Tronic, Daytona Grey, Alum Roof Rails, Tech pack, Comfort pack, Adaptive cruise, Int light pack, Audi sound, DAB, Folding mirrors, Reversable luggage mat, 5yr warranty.

Neutral

Status
    The standard setup doesn't include sub

audi system has a sub and a speaker in the dash and amp

the bang and olufsen has extra speakers, amp, sub and lights around the speaker surrounds in the front doors. Also has branding around the speakers. Think vertigo has photos somewhere

Hope that helps

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff777LUFC View Post
    i thought I was reasonably up with tech but I have absolutely no idea what a triple tuner with phase diversity is, or does
    I'm fairly sure the standard radio has 2 tuners so basically your listening to one and the other is scanning for channels so you should always have a good reception.

I'd imagine the 3rd tuner would likely be for the TMC data for the satnav.

No idea what phase diversity is though, sounds made up marketing crap

A normal analogue radio will be limited by whatever signal is coming in anyway so will never make the most of any of the upgraded stereos.
    A3 S-Line 1.4 tfsi | Daytona Grey | Heated Seats

6th Gear

Status
    I think phase diversity is just using multiple tuners/aerials to compare the same station from multiple transmitter sources and reduce things like ghosting effects etc. But I could be totally wrong

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Spurrellian View Post
    The standard setup doesn't include sub

audi system has a sub and a speaker in the dash and amp

the bang and olufsen has extra speakers, amp, sub and lights around the speaker surrounds in the front doors. Also has branding around the speakers. Think vertigo has photos somewhere

Hope that helps

That's great - thanks.

Salesman obviously didn't know his products as his demo car must have had Audi Sound System.

B&O it is then.

6th Gear

Status
    B&O also does 5.1 surround with DVDs that have it (both Dolby & DTS). A bit of a gimmick maybe but I have a DTS/Dolby/THX demo DVD in there which is great fun for showing off the system - literally shakes the seats