Springs & shocks

Austineer

King of cabs ;)
Reaction score
Gents,

Any ideas whether a set of springs & shocks for a b5 A4 1.8TQS will be suitable to fit on a b5 a4 1.9tdi? I know that the tdi is a little lighter than mine but my mate has one and is interested in buying my old ones off me.

quattro springs are different from fwd

fronts maybe same, rears are definately not

Yaseen,

Thanx for the info mate. However do you actually know what the differences are? If not just for curiousity purposes I would like to know what the differences are between the Q & FWD.

This has come up lots of times on AW and I read up on it when I bought my setup a little while back as came across a few people selling quattro springs used at decent prices.

The fronts are same, rear springs are different. The rears will most likely `fit` a FWD without any trouble as more or less same shape, but as the quattro springs are made for the extra weight of the indpendent suspension from what I know as the actual spring rate is different between the two.

Ie For stock oem springs quattro on the FWD rear will result in the car sitting higher then the front, and handling is likely to be affected too. Based on your sig showing ur new suspenson assumed thats what you meant?

If not and you have others then as aftermarket ones are stiffer by nature actual difference will depend on the spring manufacturer so may be turn out not too matter too much...

If aftermarket and your mate is gonna fit himself then ask him to try it and see how it turns out, if he`s gonna pay someone then might not be worth it. Oem won`t be worth trying from what I know.

Yaseen,

Cheers for the info. Love the pics of the two different set ups i must say. I think I will teel him not to bother and perhaps try and sell them to another B5 quattro owner who either hasnt got the sport set up or has got leaking dampers or something. By the way mine handles extremely well at the moment. I have had my geometry checked at AmD two weeks ago of which they didnt have to make many radical adjustments just a slight tweak on the camber. Seems a little wierd at occasions though cos with both the front & rear ABR's and the new springs & shocks the car is stiff a f**k. The thing hardly rolls now matter how hard I put it into corners. It's a great handling car but now I have to really screw in around corners to get any feed back from the stearing wheel. Normal cars tend to have the steering wheel bite back in the oposite direction in which you are turning however on mine I seem to get almost nothing which is kind of freaky. Saying that thought I have had a tiny amount of over steer when really hammering it in the wet. The car is now so much different to when I first bought it anything else I drive now seems like a wallowing sofa.