Coolant - G12 only or with water???

audi18tdan

Reaction score
what do you all reccomend, straight G12 coolant or G12 mixed with say 50% water?

I am wondering this as my Fan seems to come on alot these days and am wondering if i would get better cooling if i include water.

Given the fact you cant buy G12 anymore niether, you should be buying G12 plus (G12+).

On the Bottle there will be clear instructions for the Mixture ratio depending on the climate.

G12+ shouldn't be used neat even in the most extreme conditions IIRC

Yeah i meant G12 Plus
Yeah i did see the mixing ratios but in the end which i can't remember why now i decided to follow my mates guidance and just use straight G12+.

I wonder, what way would you recommend, drain all coolant and start again with proper mix raitio or just empty expanision tank and fill that with water??

BTW normall tap water or distilled?

Sorry about all the questions, i am used to premixed antifreeze with old car

Thanks

Given the fact you cant buy G12 anymore niether, you should be buying G12 plus (G12+).

On the Bottle there will be clear instructions for the Mixture ratio depending on the climate.

G12+ shouldn't be used neat even in the most extreme conditions IIRC

Depending on the Age of the car really
if its less than 10 years old and the coolant is a good clean pink, drop the coolant out and refill in the correct ratio.
if older then i'd flush the system the distilled water (wont cause rust to start etc). Remember when draining / filling the system to check you are draining from the lowest part you the system (sometimes cars have a drain plug) and refill from the expansion tank or top rad hose, depending on the recommended method for the engine. Most cars its the expansion tank nowadays.

you can buy testers (refractometers) sorry spelling isn't my strong point, this will give you a reading of you coolant strength

as said bellow, G12+ (now out of date..its G12++) should be used 50/50 for protection down to -32iirc, or 2-3 parts g12 to water for down to -25deg.

drain the full lot, there should be a drain plug on the bottom hose next to the radiator, then quick flush, and then refill with distilled water and G12++ pre-mixed 50/50 through the header tank while squashing the pipes and with the in car heaters on full hot.

start the car, allow to get to temp and leave the cap off to allow any air locks to escape.

Hi,

yeah i still have some G12+ left so will just use that.
50/50 sounds cool - according to the bottle this is 1 bottle of G12 and 1 bottle of water - this sound about right?

Yeah i think it's best if i just drain the lot - i will see if i can see this drain plug.

ALSO WHERE CAN I GET DISTILLED WATER FROM?

Thanks very much for your help

as said bellow, G12+ (now out of date..its G12++) should be used 50/50 for protection down to -32iirc, or 2-3 parts g12 to water for down to -25deg.

drain the full lot, there should be a drain plug on the bottom hose next to the radiator, then quick flush, and then refill with distilled water and G12++ pre-mixed 50/50 through the header tank while squashing the pipes and with the in car heaters on full hot.

start the car, allow to get to temp and leave the cap off to allow any air locks to escape.

you can get distilled water from most car auto spares places in bigger bottles, or smaller ones from tescos etc. as its used for ironing to stop scale build up

All done:

drained all coolant using drain off plug on rad and then filled with 1x G12+ and about a litre of non ironised water i got from Halfords.

The temp sits much lower and cools must quicker when driving along.