Is it possible to change the valve stem seals...

audi5e

Reaction score
Website
www.simplybirding.com
without removing the cylinder head?

I have heard of people doing this in the past on some car or the other?? (special tools maybe??)

The engine is an AAR code 5 cylinder.

Appreciate any feedback.

Spoke to a friend today. Turns out it can be done. I just need to use a chain with small links. You turn the crankshaft manually until the cylinder being worked on has the piston at the top, and then feed the chain into the spark plug hole , then when you press down on the valve spring to release the cotter thingys the valve won't fall into the cylinder....

Sounds like a lot of hassle. Why are you against taking the head off?

I prefer to leave it alone until it breaks... :))

Probably wouldn't make too much difference anyway, except that if I took it apart I would probably realise that I may as well take the whole engine apart since it's already in pieces and then have it rebuilt... then instead of paying for just valve stem seals, I'll end up redoing the whole motor... :))

If I do it this way I won't be tempted... :))

Had this done on my 3ltr 'e' class wihout removing the head - in fact the whole job only cost £140 including seals (6cyl lump too) (private mechanic though, not dealer!)

transformed it.. it had been suffering.. prior to the valve stem seals replacing, it would become very lumpy if left on idle for long, or stuck in traffic etc, would then be reluctant to accelerate until it had cleared, and if you had been cruising slow (say 30-40) for a few miles and then put your foot down, you'd get a big cloud of smoke on that first accelerate.. all of which was solved with new seals!

[ QUOTE ]
Have you done this yet and how did you get on ,

Sounds a bit risky as in the valves might get damaged againist chain links and if they catch on the way up they damage the valve seats

[/ QUOTE ]

Not yet, still working up the courage! :)

use a length of electrical flex,start feeding it down whe plug hole before the piston comes up to tdc,the piston will then compress it against the valves,make sure u turn the engine slowly by hand in its normall direction of rotation,or you could by an airline adaptor that screws down the plu hole and uses compressed air to hold the valves up,thats my favorite method