Follow Administrators On Twitter

anyone REALLY technical out there?

is there anyone else in the trade?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status

Re: anyone REALLY technical out there?

Depends on what you mean!! What I do is pretty technical. And it is the building trade I think [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

I assume you mean the motor-trade?

I can do technical IT type stuff, but only really know car electrics as Joshie will no doubt testify [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Administrator

Status

My Social Networking

I mean the car trade

Neutral

Status

I was until 1999, then got fed up with the trade, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] city+guilds etc 15 years all in

Neutral

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I assume you mean the motor-trade?

I can do technical IT type stuff, but only really know car electrics as Joshie will no doubt testify [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    .Yes Dan - saved me on a couple of occasions, once when I needed a solution to the electronic switches when I uprated the interior of my S4 to post facelift and the other to get the lights on my aircon unit to work
    Just as I was getting suicidal too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Thanks mate [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

John,

you've got us all intruiged now.

What's the question?
    -Dan

Administrator

Status

My Social Networking

[ QUOTE ]
    I was until 1999, then got fed up with the trade, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] city+guilds etc 15 years all in

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah me too, I got out a lot longer ago than that to be honest,
    when it all went on to bonus and quality of work became less important I left it.
    Main Dealer stuff is very humdrum!

Administrator

Status

My Social Networking

[ QUOTE ]
    John,

you've got us all intruiged now.

What's the question?
    -Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing really, that was the question!

Just wondering who else there got there C&G and went through those early very badly paid years! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

I'm not in the trade but I think I'm technical. I designed and built a mapped ignition module to replace the centrifugal advance in a Mk1 Golf GTi distributor. The springs get weak and advance the ignition too fast. A common compensation for this is to set the static advance to less - which screws up the overall advance curve - a common fault for lack of power in these superb engines. I measured the advance by spinning the distributor whilst measuring RPM with a hall-effect rev counter which I designed and built also, then measured the angle. Vacuum advance was taken care of using the original diaphram unit and a grey-code slider. Once that was done I programmed an EPROM with the parameters and designed appropriate voltage regulation circuitry. I could then swap EPROMS to experiment away from the 'factory' advance curve. This was back in 1984 but have done an electronics engineering degree since then. I have always applied what I know to electronic and mechanical engineering in vehicles.

Christ I sound like a right boff [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] having read that back - I guess I'm saying I know first principles mechanically and electrically so I'll always try and help from a theory point of view.

Cheers
    Jon

Administrator

Status

My Social Networking

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm not in the trade but I think I'm technical. I designed and built a mapped ignition module to replace the centrifugal advance in a Mk1 Golf GTi distributor. The springs get weak and advance the ignition too fast. A common compensation for this is to set the static advance to less - which screws up the overall advance curve - a common fault for lack of power in these superb engines. I measured the advance by spinning the distributor whilst measuring RPM with a hall-effect rev counter which I designed and built also, then measured the angle. Vacuum advance was taken care of using the original diaphram unit and a grey-code slider. Once that was done I programmed an EPROM with the parameters and designed appropriate voltage regulation circuitry. I could then swap EPROMS to experiment away from the 'factory' advance curve. This was back in 1984 but have done an electronics engineering degree since then. I have always applied what I know to electronic and mechanical engineering in vehicles.

Christ I sound like a right boff [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] having read that back - I guess I'm saying I know first principles mechanically and electrically so I'll always try and help from a theory point of view.

Cheers
    Jon

[/ QUOTE ]

cool! I was just looking at trying to start a serie of quite technical posts, want to start at the basics and try to help everyone understand a little more, plus I'm always keen to find out stuff I don't know, actually I'm really bad like that, there'll be something come up that intrigues me... I have to write it down so I remember to research it later, otherwise next time it'll bug me I forgot to find out how it worked!

5th Gear

Status

That sounds like a plan - I want to know more about my car works without having to trawl loads of sites..

Administrator

Status

My Social Networking

[ QUOTE ]
    That sounds like a plan - I want to know more about my car works without having to trawl loads of sites..

[/ QUOTE ]
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers
    Jon

[/ QUOTE ] AH but have you ever fitted a clutch on a Triumph Toledo [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

[ QUOTE ]

Nothing really, that was the question!

Just wondering who else there got there C&G and went through those early very badly paid years! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] I got fed up with the main dealer attitude of Bonus, Bonus, Bonus. And small garage attitude of Low pay, Low pay Low Pay. So now I drive a train [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

This is a good site to start with - http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads...o=&fpart=1

It covers several aspects of the S3, namely 4cyl engine characteristics, 5V per cylinder, turbocharger (yours is a K04 I think), intercooler, Haldex centre 'differential', traction control with conventional diffs / ABS - Audi call this EDL, ESP, ABS, understeer and oversteer, tyre slip angles etc.

Maybe there should be a poll to discover which parts of their cars people want to know most about?

Cheers
    Jon

Neutral

Status

No! - never had that pleasure... I've de coked a 2L Pinto - and I'll never rest the drill on the bench again while using a flexible drive with a rotary wire brush which jams solid in a port... The 240V drill took off and wrapped itself around the power cord and me at the same time [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] . I've changed various bearings in gear boxes and diffs where the preload is critical, burnt the skin off my hands doing a ring gear, dropped an eccentric valve clearance lock nut down an oil drain hole (gf at the time said 'just turn the engine upside down - it will come out... my comments nearly caused instant divorce), and gave a Capri 5 reverse gears and 1 forward (fitted a diff with the crown wheel on the wrong side...)
    Bit scared of the S8 though - have only had the engine covers, air intake and spark plugs out - there don't seem to be many owners on forums who want to play (or are interested)

Cheers
    Jon

imported_Little_Si

Well never worked in the trade etc.

I did build this from scratch a few years ago
    (assuming the piccys there!), hand built chassis etc, powered by GPZ1100 (bored to 1380).
    Damn good fun to drive, managed a few FTD's in it and a fair few class wins.

Status

I would be more than happy to help with technical stuff...

I am in the trade and often scan the boards trying to help... its my hobby too... hense the time spent..

I have worked on french german and Jap cars, from basic servicing to full engine rebuilds etc etc...

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    AndyC said:
    I would be more than happy to help with technical stuff...

I am in the trade and often scan the boards trying to help... its my hobby too... hense the time spent..

I have worked on french german and Jap cars, from basic servicing to full engine rebuilds etc etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's good to have you onboard then Andy. You've got a JR filter fited on your A4, are you not concerned about MAF issues?

Status

not really... they are not oily mate.... not like K&N...

been in for 10k miles and is fine..

if it goes wrong you lot will be the first to know

Neutral

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    richyboy said:
    AH but have you ever fitted a clutch on a Triumph Toledo [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have fitted a clutch on a Triumph Herald. Does this count?

Reverse Gear

Status

I have conducted percussive maintenance on a variety of VAG products over a 15 year period. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif[/img]

Reverse Gear

Status

What the hell is percussive maintenence???