Laptop Battery has come back to life

MingBluS3

Reaction score
This is very strange and in 8 years of IT i've not seen this happen before.

Decided to leave my laptop in the office 2 weeks so i'd be without access to the web and also to have a bit of a break from a PC. Anyway a problem arose and I needed access to the web. Fortunately I remembered my trusty old Dell L400 P3 was in the cupboard but i've not used it in the last 2 years as the battery died many years ago and is as flat as a pancake (its the original battery at least 7 years old). Anyway it always works on the mains supply but when I ever needed to move rooms i'd have to shut down completley, hence the reason for not using it.

It's running Windows 2003 Server and is extremly fast with no services running and no apps installed. With a T-mobile Web and Walk stick.

Right back to the topic.....

1st boot after being in the cupboard for 2 years same thing, if i disconnected the supply the laptop turned off. Was the same for a few days and considered either getting a new battery or bringing my work laptop home again. Got in last night and turned the latop on, working away and i noticed the battery icon in the taskbar. I ignored it for 25 mins or so and then investigated the icon that i've not seen for a long time. It appeared to be running on battery. I then looked at the plug socket and noticed the main was off.

So for the 1st time in 5 years it's got a charge and holding it for that matter. I turned on the mains and it showed charging 89% full, I let it charge to 100% and then disconnected it from the mains again. It said 1 hour 40 mins remaining. It ran on battery for over an hour and all is fine. I then switched the mains back on and left it again to 100% shutdown and went to bed.

Got in tonight and it's still got a good charge, running on batteries can't believe it. I've never know a battery to come back to life in this way. Can anyone explain whats happened and has anyone had this happen to them?

Evening to everyone and all the old skool members of this site. I've not logged in here for a very long time.......

Yeah all batteries have a memory, they should be completely drained in an ideal world monthly, but every 3-6 months realistically for them to last for years, by charging 100% for a day & then unplug power, let drain until flat, wait an hour then turn back on, do this until it wont even start up/turn on/no lights, then recharge it for a day to 2, that makes it lasts for years if not life, lol

so I'm guessing it got charged so much before it lost its capacity to hold charge, so 2 years in cupboard would of drained it 100% & its retained its original memory of capacity again, same for all rechargeables fella in cellphones etc

so if i drain my ****** battery on my laptop, it will give it new life?

currently it wont hold charge and the power pack follows the lappy everywhere.

It doesnt work for all before anyone moans as some batteries are beyond fixing as such, but worth a go as worked on number of them for me, check your bios for battery calibration tools as seen this on HP's before where it decharges, recharges etc & the battery holds a charge again, but my method is same as the built in system for some HP laptops