any software engineers/testers career advice?

benr

Reaction score
Hi just asking if anyone has any advice.

I will be graduating next month with a First Degree with hons in computer science (BSc) with 1 years placement experience.

I have mainly been geared up for programming/sw engineering from my degree...

I have been offered a job in yorkshire for a decent company as a test engineer for 22.5k ish but im not sure whether to take it as its a long way from london and whethere it is a good career path to take as a tester.

Anyone in the industry have any advice?

Cheers:think:

Hi,

That's a pretty good starting salary for a new graduate, especially out of London. A mate of mine has 5years as a tester, and only gets £31k in Reading.

How many other jobs have you been offered? Any more interviews coming up?

Anyway, Yorkshire is not exactly the back end of beyond. If you have to get back to London, it's only a couple of hours on a train...

Cheers,

Well said Lottie.

In fact if I remember the dim and distant early 90's when I graduated, I did the opposite and came down from Cumbria to Slough (Eeek!), starting off on £14k. No wonder I was £5k in debt after 18 months!!

However, after 3 years and increases to £20k I then had no problem moving onto my next job which came with a £10k increase!!

Now nicely ensconced in the Education sector at Oxford with a reasonable salary, final salary pension & plenty of holiday.

The key thing is a good start and foothold on the job ladder.

Good luck!!

Thank you all for your input really I appreciate it,

I havent really got into the job hunting yet, i have made a couple of other applications last week but havent had any replies yet. This was the first job i appled for which was a month or so ago but havent really done anything since.

Software engineering/programming is what i have been doing at university all this time and i dont think writing code will be a good path to take due to the large amount of outsourcing abroad which is why i am looking at other paths to take.

Its just hard to know what to go into because there are good and bad jobs in every path you could take.

btw it is for Pace, they just bought phillips set top box business which seems like a good growing business.

I suppose my main question would be if i accepted and worked for a couple of years would this limit my options later in my career. this is the most worrying thing for me.

Thanks
Ben

Yorkshire forward, and Creative Sheffield and the likes are having a big push in the area.

To surmise, they are looking at the term 'super-city' under the guise that Sheffield/Leeds/Manchester become 'like' a single city. You can travel the triangle of cities in the same time you can travel across London, so you could work in the same times... (Dont forget though that these guys are in sales/marketing!) ;)

Personally, I've left here 3 times for the golden streets to the big smoke, but to be honest, now my eyes are more open this area is becoming a very forward thinking part of the country. Is a great place to be... certainly different to down south, and you may find it better? I'm pretty proud of my city and county.

You pay structure can be better due to cost of living... I mean its easy enough to find a pint for £3.70 here, as it is down south... but you can also find one for £2.00 too... which is more the case. Good luck in what ever you choose.

Software engineering/programming is what i have been doing at university all this time and i dont think writing code will be a good path to take due to the large amount of outsourcing abroad which is why i am looking at other paths to take.

More testing is going off shore though, in fact most of the testing where I work is going off shore, most of our clients are migrating as well. In the 16 months I have worked in my current contract the testing activities have gone from being managed in house with outsourced testers. To all the testing being handled by a third party.

Regarding coding the general code bods may be based off shore but a lot of companies like to keep it in more house so they can be more dynamic. But even if the coding goes the architects will still be UK based.

Depends what you want to do, I've been a coder and hated it (although I did do this for 9 years), I've work in IT support (loved it) and now work in telecoms. My job's ok but I am a money grabbing whore so job satisfaction has never been a prioirty for me.

J.

Firstly, Yorkshire has this mad squirt running around that spies on people and stalks them...think his name is Noddy Noel.

First time Ive ever been called that! :ermm: HAHAHAHAH

And seems like its you stalking me... how cool, Ive never had a stalker! :rockwoot:

haha thanks for your advice ive decided to take it and see how it goes.

I wont know if i like it without trying.

Just scared of all those northern monkeys

Tx
Ben

where abouts you gonna be then ben.

And yeah, we may be monkeys but we're pretty friendly monkeys with everyone with the right attitudes :)

haha it is in saltaire but would be looking to live in leeds