Is it me or are people driving more slowly because of high fuel prices?

i like the fact that mr brown thinks that showing his face on the media, going to saudi or wherever it is, that hes trying to help...is he bollo*** ....maybe he should reduce duty on the fuel!!!

LOL reducing the duty on fuel is far to much of a common sense thing for the goverment to do ! Its much better to try and pass the blame onto others than face the truth !
Its not even if we had decent maintained road with the amount of tax we pay of fuel and or road tax to even 1/2 way justify the price of fuel at the moment !

Richard

I filled up this week and since then have been making a concerted effort to drive more efficiently (slower!) The cruise gets set at 70 on dual carriageways (2000rpm exactly) and in day to day driving I try not to go over 2000rpm (It's 'kin hard tho')!!

So much depends on the type of roads you drive on, on a decent motorway trip my av mpg just climbs and climbs, and the DTE gauge does the same! But on Dorset's winding narrow A and B roads you got no hope :banghead:

I am going to try really really really hard for the whole of the tank to keep this up and see what sort of difference it makes. I am not yet obsessive enough to turn the aircon off! I figured on a cool day it wont be working hard enough to use much fuel, and on a hot day then I will pay to be cool! And knowing my luck if I turn it off the compressor will pack up!!

The Aircon can sap upto 50bhp's worth of power from an engine in an older car, so im guessing that its wont use anywhere near that on a modern audi, but i do wonder. I dont really car about the "slowing down" as a dont drive to excess anyway, there are way to many speed cameras in my area, and most of them are mobile.

I've changed my driving style for sure, and it made a difference of around 5% to a full tank (A3 2.OTDI), I try to drive in low revs and higher gears whenever I can.

How many miles does everyone normally get from a full tank?

for what it saves me driving fast to slow then I still go fast its pennys compared with other costs and its worth every penny imo.

Yeh I have to say I do drive with economy in mind but then I am getting older and dont feel the need to have the foot to the floor everywhere.

Currently getting 400 miles to the tank which Im quite happy about but it is still costing me £70 to fill up!

Drove My A4 3.0 Cab to Scotland Via the lakes Nice and steady 440 miles Filled up and put £52 to the brim ( It was brimmed before We left ) Hammered it back on the return journy to Worcester direct missing out the trip into the lakes 360 miles Filled it to the brim £82
So
Steady 440 miles £52
Spupidly fast 360 miles £82........No brainer realy ??????

PS the sat nav said We would arrive home at 7.20 when We left So its assuming We would be traveling at the speed limits ? We actualy arrived home at 7.05 So thats 30 Quids worth of extra fuel to get 80 miles less ! To save 15 flippin mins !!! :wtf:

Drove My A4 3.0 Cab to Scotland Via the lakes Nice and steady 440 miles Filled up and put £52 to the brim ( It was brimmed before We left ) Hammered it back on the return journy to Worcester direct missing out the trip into the lakes 360 miles Filled it to the brim £82
So
Steady 440 miles £52
Spupidly fast 360 miles £82........No brainer realy ??????

PS the sat nav said We would arrive home at 7.20 when We left So its assuming We would be traveling at the speed limits ? We actualy arrived home at 7.05 So thats 30 Quids worth of extra fuel to get 80 miles less ! To save 15 flippin mins !!! :wtf:

You got to admit it though, those 360miles was more fun! :racer:

Agreed Joe!
buy a smartcar if you want economy...I was offered a moped because I mentioned my 50 quid a week fuel bill in conversation and I told him to 'do one'