Petrol Prices - Will It Ever Go Down?

emzino

Reaction score
I'm having abit of a dilemma right now regarding the sale of my car.

Currently owning a 2.0TDI, I was thinking of selling up for an S3 8L (1.8T 225bhp) but can't seem to justify the switch from Diesel to Petrol.

The petrol prices seem to be going only one way and that is up but I was wondering, there must be an end to all this eventually right... all the protesting and agreements (politics) must bring down prices... or is this all wishful thinking :keule: :sadlike:

Just annoying to see the US have such cheap petrol there & I don't see why we can't go back to the good old under £1.00 days :arco:

emzino said:
Just annoying to see the US have such cheap petrol there & I don't see why we can't go back to the good old under £1.00 days :arco:

Yup - they dont have the luxury of paying 80% tax on every gallon they buy!!

And dont forget when you are comparing that the US gallon is 3.8l and our imperial gallon is 4.55l.

It's funny though cos the US price of petrol has actually pretty much doubled in the last 5 years. Although when the prices go up because of an oil crisis there, they seem to come down again after where ours go up by 20p/litre then drop by 1p/litre (if that)

It is unlikely to go down.....If anything it will increase! nationwide strike(s) protests would be required to convince the big boys to drop the fuel tax!
they would only come back with something like "pay as you drive" to offset such a move!!! :unsure:

Stick with your diesel, I wish i had.

Mike

mikey_abz said:
Stick with your diesel, I wish i had.

Ouch, that's quite a line there and I feel I may be repeating it if I switch to petrol.

Think i'll stick to TDI's but just save up and get the 2.0TDI 170 variant then tune it.
I'm sure tuners have worked around the DPF problem by now...

Thanks guys

emzino said:
I'm sure tuners have worked around the DPF problem by now...

Dont be sure, the 170 is approaching its limits. Remapping a 140 gives roughly another 40-odd BHP - No way will you remap a 170 to give another 40 BHP!

Quite dissapointing really. I just can't get my head around why the DPF limits the engines tuning capabilities so much...

Hopefully in 2008 when Audi release a new 2.0 it'll be much better. Apparently it'll be 100% common rail @ 200bhp. Sounds good to me!