Need advice from sparkies

Rev-head

Reaction score
Well its getting baltic up here in scotland so stuck on my storage heaters for the first time in a while just banged them up full blast both dials

Was away for a few days and when i came back they were really hot then the next day they were stone cold and are still stone cold.....spoke to a local guy and he said that they have probably tripped with heat and i need to reset .

Q:Is that true and how do i do that or what else can it be

Cheers

Very cold steve

If all storage heaters are off then check your main fuse in the meter cupboard and see if thats on.. there is prob a seperate switch an fuse for them.

If it's one then check fuse in the wall, most have a local fuse in the wall outlet.

Dedending on the make and model of the storage heater, there may be a thermostatic cut-out inside the heater. Or the contacts on the thermostat hav stuck in the open position. Any competant sparkie should be able to tell you if either of these is the case. Don't open the heaters if your not electrically minded yourself as you will then expose the internal workings of the heater.

Are the heaters controlled by a timeclock or a teleswitch provided by your electric supplier? If its a timeclock and all the heaters are not working then that could be at fault.

teleswitch from Southern Energy....ok with electrics so will see whats up

Are none of the heaters working now? If so, then I would check the fuses in the heating board and also check the supply coming into that board.

If the supply is controlled by a teleswitch then the board should become live at about 11o'clock in the evening. Check that the board is powered up with a multimeter after this time. If it is dead then the teleswitch is possibly at fault.

:icon_thumright:

I repair storage heaters and depending which type there could be various problems. If your fuse board has power around 11pm-12am then i would check inside the heaters themselves. Make sure the power is off before opening the covers(there can be other supplies live in there eg 24hr fan circuits!) At the top there might be a ceramic connector block which holds the thermal link this melts if the heater gets too hot. Check to see if its melted, if so, note the colour on the ends of the link as that denote's the melting point of it.

hope this helps