Snow

AL_B

Reaction score
So, anyone stuck in it? Stories to tell?

Its been lovely and dry up here in the North West. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

AL

Have yet to see any here!
Shame realy, no work on for a week or so, and could do with a distraction! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

So many cars droppin like flies.. I just love this Quattro sh*t honestly I do.. Uphill trundling along... cars spinning and you think.. WTF's wrong with them.. Buy a real car.. Ha!!

Possibly bout 6inches of snow where I work, maybe more.. Some guy I work with left work last night and didnt get home till 6 am this morning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.. (He drives a Honda tho,, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif)

Guess who was one of the first to get in this mornin... Quattro Banana of course.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I know it's weird - JPR left mine at 8am (no snow at all) and phoned to tell me he was stuck about 3 miles fromthe house where it was thick snow !!!!

****** southeners /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

There's hardly any snow here, and even if there was you wouldn't find us stuck on the hard shoulder. Just throw your car onto your back and hike across the fields /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Moff said:
Drove back yesterday from Slough to Notts, round the M25 and then up the M1. It was blizzards most of the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The snow was settling on all of the lanes in places. Looked good though. Then you get some tit thinking they are invincible in ther big Mercs and beemers. Do they not realise that rear wheel drive cars are the hardest to control in snow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It definitely snowed in Newcastle. Yesterday I went shopping with my parents and my dad was driving his A4 1.6 standard. I sat in the back. Snow turned to thick slush on the main roads. In town a 2 lane traffic came to a standstill. In front was a BMW Z3 2.8 and behind was a Porsche. In the distance I saw a van that's been left parking on the left lane with its hazard lights on. Cars began to overtake the van (on a slope) but this Z3 couldn't move, its rear wheels struggled for grip and continued spinning and spinning. Moments later the driver accelerated harder but was only inching forward bit by bit. After the Z3 overtook the van it pulled over to let us through (it was holding us up actually). I watched as we overtook with ease. The Z3 was still crawling with its rear wheels spinning. I looked out the back window just to see how the Porsche was doing but was still trying to overtake the van (the view got smaller).

Car mags always brag about how cool RWD cars are. But look at what happened yesterday! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Those pratts obviously dont understand how traction works!
2nd gear and hardly any revs works well!
Wonder why this isnt part of the driving test? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Foggy,

I understand what you are getting at. Really ABS should do a better job than cadance braking. It is confusing. I'm confused. Which is why, really, I can't say that whether the cadance braking helped or not.

The only thing I know I did right, was removing the cause of the initial skid.

After that well...it was like the ABS was allowing me to roll further, and not actually stopping me. So I tried pumping the pedal. I should say though everytime the pedal was to the floor, the ABS would kick in. So I guess it was a combination of cadance and ABS that finally brought me to a standstill.

Just glad my car is ok. That was all that was going through my mind "Oh f### my car. [repeat]"

AL

I read in my manual tonight (while I was stuck in the snow!) that ABS can actually INCREASE the stopping distance where there is surface 'stuff' e.g. grit or snow. I'm not sure why this is but maybe it is something to do with the gravel/snow kind of wedging in front of the wheel when the wheels are locked, but not when ABS is in effect.

On the other hand, I could just be talking rubbish !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Finster,

I think its because ABS works by sensing if the wheel is locked, if its locked it releases the brake, then once the wheel is turning reapplies the brake. Which is fine on normal wet roads, because your tyres have some grip. But on snow/ice, you have practically no grip. So when the ABS brakes again, wheels lock instantly, so it releases the brake. Hence why I was just going forward.

The theory behind cadance braking in a non-ABS car is, dip your clutch instantly, then really slam (like you want to put the pedal throught the floor) that brake pedal down, and release in a rythmic action. Fully releasing the pedal, so the wheels turn again. Because its only when they turn the get grip, and you regain steering control.

On Saturday the police instructor mentioned that ABS is not good on gravel and snow, and better braking performance on those surfaces is better without ABS, because the theory being when the wheels lock, they push up a mound of gravel or snow in front of the tyres, helping to slow the car down. But he didn't recommend disabling ABS, because in most conditions its a life saver.

I did ask him about braking on snow, funnily enough. And he didn't know what to suggest to be honest, especially with an ABS car, but said, "he would try cadance braking". But having browsed the web tonight looking for info, I've found mixed reports. One article said, "Never pump the pedal on an ABS car". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

So...I don't know.

AL

All above views seem sensible. I guess if there is no grip available then ABS is not really going to help. I find that by pressing really hard on the pedal on snow you do get increased retardation even although only light pressure activates ABS.

[ QUOTE ]
Drystone said:
ABS basically gives you the ultimate form of cadence braking, the whole idea of which is to allow you to brake hard whilst still maintaining control of the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

ABS is not according to the police drivers the best form of cadence braking, it does similar but not as well according to the drivers I did a course with.........well not according we actually did it, once with stamping on the brakes, once with ABS and once with manual candence, and Cadence came out tops.

I nearly ran into a car at a roundabout yesterday. Brakes, eeek, only ABS chatter on ice layer under the snow. Floored it instead to get past the guy who was coming onto the roundabout and waved at him to say sorry. Fortunately the rounabout itself was fairly clear so I could turn/brake once clear. Was only doing about 15MPH or less. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

It must be horrific to be going down a hill trying to stop, just not something I want to think about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Other than that, traction is incredible and there's some fun to be had with esp off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Sounds like a few of us have had similar experiences.

I had the backend of the car step out on me this morning. Just a bit too much throttle (again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) coming out of slow left turn and backend drifted out, caught it ok, sh#t me up though because I wasn't expecting it. ESP was on too.

AL

In my Beemer you don't need snow to find yourself going **** around tit (As opposed to over them), but I suppose it does help to prepare you in someways for this sort of weather. Just wish i had a Quattro A3 now, for the wet and the snow! actually scrub that I meant an S3! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Moff said:
[ QUOTE ]
Surely in normal conditions, ABS must be better than cadence braking

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO ABS is vastly superior to cadence braking in the dry and wet weather. It allows you to brake very hard whilst keeping the ability to steer from danger and not locking up.

In the snow and ice however, it is pants /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree with that, but if you try candence braking and compare it to ABS in identical cars the traditional style will win for stopping distance (4 years ago it would of anyway, when I did it with the Police).... but not necessarily control though.