I resigned - tell it like it is?

batwad

Reaction score
So I recently resigned after becoming a bit fed up in my current position and deciding now's the time to go in to IT contracting.

My team recently got a new boss (which incidentally was nothing to do with my leaving) and I'm wondering whether I should tell her what I really think is wrong with the way our department is working. She knows my reasons for leaving (mainly I've out-grown the place) as I believe in being open and honest but I'm wondering how open and honest I should be.

Because she's new to our team I'm contemplating writing her an email going into more detail about my leaving, going to the level of naming people who I feel are responsible for the general bad feeling in our department. Is this a bad idea? People always say don't burn bridges, and I don't want to; I want to give her some constructive (but potentially harsh) advice to help her try and turn the team around. Any thoughts?

why not - if you think it will help the future of your ex-job then go ahead

but on they other hand...why should you? you have left/leaving the company so its not in your best interest to help her in anyway - unless you want her to repay the favour ;)

but if it was me i think i would do what you are planning, but not let her in on everything initially

i would speak with her and see if she is interested in hearing what you have to say and if she is, go more in depth and spill the beans!

id speak rather than email too!

Agree with Boydie, you may be genuine in wanting to help the new boss but an email can so easily be misinterperated or passed around without your knowledge.

Have you been for the exit interview? The exit interview is the place to air these constructive criticisms. There is no harm in letting them know, and we actively encourage it at our company. Yes, we do take some of it with a pinch of salt, but we do get a lot of usefull info out of them as well. Also, be sure to praise some things as well, it makes it seem less of a "disgruntled employee" moaning session.
Saying that, you do need to be sure of your facts, and try not to place blame on specific individuals. Highlighting areas of possible breakdown in procedures and communications is better than pointing the finger at individuals. Bear in mind that an employees motivation is very dependant on his/her satisfaction with the company and it's procedures, so blaming the individual rather than the procedure isn't always constructive. Exit interviews are confidential, but word always gets out, and if you ever return(never say never), you may find yourself working for someone you have "dissed" in your exit interview. At the end of the day, we do want feedback(good and bad), and done in the right way will put you in a good light.

Sadly our exit interview is a rather sterile online form rather than an actual face-to-face.

I sat down with my supervisor and spend a good 90 minutes going through the reasons I was leaving, mainly trying to help them improve.

Mind you, as far as I know nothing changed...

Batwad, as an ex manager of 2nd line teams, i always wanted to know what the people thought and what reasons for leavers. sit her down and talk to her!

welcome to the world of contracting! i made the move in March and dont regret it one bit.

I wouldn't bother, all you would possibly acheive is making life beter for the people that still work there, and why would you do that?
If you didn't want to say anything to make your life better while you were there, why do it when you're not?

A4Quattro said:
I wouldn't bother, all you would possibly acheive is making life beter for the people that still work there, and why would you do that?
If you didn't want to say anything to make your life better while you were there, why do it when you're not?

Nice attitude!

I would talk to the new boss, but be very professional about it (i.e. no backstabbing or slander etc), and say up front what it is you will be talking about.

I'd definitely do it verbally rather than by email as you never know where it will end up.

ScoobyA4 said:
welcome to the world of contracting! i made the move in March and dont regret it one bit.

ScoobyA4 is it going well, I am tempted to go contracting as well. Getting Pi**ed off seeing so many people earning big time whilst I still got peanuts!

Thanks for all your thoughts folks. Having had a wonderful weekend, I think I was having a grumpy day and just wanted to vent some spleen.

The ship is sinking and I'm not going to stay on and waste my time trying to save it. If somebody genuinely wants my advice they can ask for it. Mind you, if management listened to anything then things wouldn't be going tits-up. So I shan't waste my time trying to make people listen.

batwad said:
Thanks for all your thoughts folks. Having had a wonderful weekend, I think I was having a grumpy day and just wanted to vent some spleen.

The ship is sinking and I'm not going to stay on and waste my time trying to save it. If somebody genuinely wants my advice they can ask for it. Mind you, if management listened to anything then things wouldn't be going tits-up. So I shan't waste my time trying to make people listen.

Spot-on

The problem with a lot of companies (including the one I currently work for) is that they take the people from the "shop floor" who are outstanding at what they do and make them management, with little or no training. This has a 2 fold effect: 1st, the great engineer, sales person whatever they are is no longer "getting their hands dirty" and 2nd, great workers don't necessarily make great managers.

We have this all the time, especially with developers....

OutLore said:
The problem with a lot of companies (including the one I currently work for) is that they take the people from the "shop floor" who are outstanding at what they do and make them management, with little or no training. This has a 2 fold effect: 1st, the great engineer, sales person whatever they are is no longer "getting their hands dirty" and 2nd, great workers don't necessarily make great managers.

We have this all the time, especially with developers....

You work for British Gas too Spence.:motz:

Batwad,
I wouldnt bother. I was in a similar situation some years ago and during my exit interview realised that it wouldnt be a good idea.
i told my then boss that it was just a career move, i went on to contract and have enjoyed everthing minute of it.
Leave the sorting out of the depatrment to the next bright spark that comes along and focus on the career you have ahead.
beside as luck would have it i moved into an organisation that had ties with my last orgainsation and because of the way i left there was no obvious blow back.
Thats my 2pence worth.

Drmatrix said:
Batwad,
I wouldnt bother. I was in a similar situation some years ago and during my exit interview realised that it wouldnt be a good idea.
i told my then boss that it was just a career move, i went on to contract and have enjoyed everthing minute of it.
Leave the sorting out of the depatrment to the next bright spark that comes along and focus on the career you have ahead.
beside as luck would have it i moved into an organisation that had ties with my last orgainsation and because of the way i left there was no obvious blow back.
Thats my 2pence worth.

Best advice and relevant to me too as i just quit my job on a three month notice period - ask yourself this.... how would you rather be remembered?

smee said:
ScoobyA4 is it going well, I am tempted to go contracting as well. Getting Pi**ed off seeing so many people earning big time whilst I still got peanuts!

yes mate, money is very nice! altho it has taken 3 months to break even due to living off expenses and delays in getting paid. its nic eto have a lot less pressure, but i find this project boring.

Am currently looking for another contract but this time at home (can hopefully be a little more picky this time!). tis worth it i feel! saying that, i've been approached by a company for perm role, and i've got an interview on tuesday for it.

I would advise against any sort of dialogue along these lines. I also work in IT and I also made the move to contracting a few year's back (and a few years later became an employee again, and may be contracting again in the future)

As a contractor you will trade on your skills but you will win contracts on your reputation.

This is an important distinction; for every job or contract I've secured after starting in IT 20 years ago I have subsequently discovered that there was someone already at the new company whom I had worked with before elsewhere. In every case the hiring manager had asked them their opinion of me before I was offerred a position. I would not expect this state of affairs to be unusual.

So, I would say take the diplomatic approach and always assume that you will meet collegues from the past in the future. In the long run I think you have more to lose than gain from having the discussion you mention. One of the advantages of contracting is never having to get involved in office politics. So start now and move on. Good luck for your future career :)