how many units is the limit to drive?

The law says that you're legal to drive until you reach either 80 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood, or 35 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.

I say anyone who even thinks about driving after having so much as a sniff of a drink is a ****

Regards,

Rob.

Well, according to the DfT, you can't calculate it -
whenwillyou-t.jpg
dd0604-poster.jpg

More here http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaigns/drinkdrive/drinkdrive.htm

Personally, If I know I'm going to be in the pub for at least a couple of hours and several drinks, I'll have one pint of bitter or Guinness then move onto soft drinks. If I'm only staying for one drink, it'll be a soft drink.

but whats that roughly in units, saying stella is 3 units, whats the limit in units? people are always saying to pints is fine, but i dont belive that!

Well, the 'rule of thumb' I always used was that the 'average' male body can process 1 unit per hour. So if I have one pint of bitter or Guinness, which will be approx 2 units, that, in theory, should be through the system in 2 hours.

Where people get stuck is have 8 pints in an evening, starting at 8 pm, say. On that basis, it will take 16 hours to go through the system. So even at 8am the following morning, 12 hours later, you will still have 4 units in your system which I think is sufficient to fail a breath test.

IMO two pints of Stella would put you well over if you drank them in an hour and then drove straight away.

Without wanting to be the founding member of the '******* on peoples' bonfires association' - and hey, it's only my opinion, you do what you want; but if you're enquiring for yourself I'd say it might be worth some more thought. A car is a really good lethal weapon when you're stone cold sober; and even 1ml of alcohol and 350bhp sounds like a fantastic way to a wooden overcoat to me (and much worse than that, an equally fantastic way to give the same apparel to others).

Regards,

Rob.

2 Units is the limit

So many people are guessing whats the limit .A pint of lager could put you over the limit.....A glass of Red Wine to

i dont know my mate has been pulled over on 1 1/2 pints of stella and been just under, may just be him tho!

Taken from auntie beeb...

The legal drink-drive limit is 80mg per 100 millilitres of blood, but this cannot easily be translated into alcohol units as it can be affected by build, sex, whether food has been eaten, and a host of other factors.

As jcs356 said, the DfT and other government organisations will almost never offer a quote of the limit in units anymore because it's been well researched now that (as the BBC excerpt says) the rate of absorbtion varies wildly from one person to the next based on numerous factors...

Regards,

Rob.

I think anyone who is trying to find out how much alcohol he can safely drink, and then drive, is deluded. There is only one answer.

None!

Grams into Milliliters: Divide the number of grams by the specific gravity of the substance, to obtain the volume in milliliters.

http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm - Its canadian but still gives a good idea

However it depends on so many factors in your body that its impossible to tell.
Which is why i normally dont have anything to drink if i'm thinking of driving.

On a side note, when i was picking my my g/f from kingston i got pulled over for driving the wrong way down a one way street, in my defence the one way sign was torn down so i didnt realise until too late, the police officer though i was ****** out my face (understandably ;)) so got breathalised, to his misery i was recovering from a stomach ulser so hadnt had a DROP to drink for way over a month, he said it was suprising to see a zero result :p

In a way, I find it amazing that a thread like this even exists, posing such a stupid question. Thankfully, I'm relieved to see that many others here share my point of view: that if you're driving, you don't drink. Painfully simple. Those who think differently - including anyone who tries to calculate how much they'd had to drink before getting behind the wheel - should not have a driving licence.

Is it really worth the hassle for one or two drinks? Surely you can go to the pub and not drink alcohol. As mentioned above “A car is a really good lethal weapon when you're stone cold sober” To take the chance of killing someone or yourself over a pint is crazy in my opinion. Life is too short as it is!

I couldn't agree more - the safest answer is no alcohol at all. It is my personal choice on the one pint rule, and as I say, that would only be if I were in the pub for a while.

Hijacking the thread slightly, it scares me the number of times I see people drinking Redbull at petrol stations or service stations. That stuff makes me go really hyper - I dread to think what it makes people like behind the wheel of a car.

Oh, and while I'm on my soap box, how many people smoke dope and drive? The traffic cops :busted_cop: program on BBC1 last week showed some examples of people stoned out of their faces yet still driving. Unfortunately there isn't a cheap, legal, reliable test for 'other substances' which relies upon the old fashioned tricks of 'stand up, tilt head back, close eyes, touch tip of nose with first finger of each hand' routine which can then result in arrest and back to the cop shop for a test.

Edward,

Just notice your only 20 and driving an S3- lucky guy! To go from a S3 to public transport if caught over the limit does not appeal to me. Not to keen sitting next to old people and drunks everyday going to work. I’m also thinking the bus is has less than 265bhp and isn't as fun. Can someone confirm this?

I saw a sign in a pub I was in at New Year.

It read: "If your wife drives you to drink, don't drive yourself home."

jdp1962 said:
I think anyone who is trying to find out how much alcohol he can safely drink, and then drive, is deluded. There is only one answer.

None!

I agree, none at if yer driving.

zero units should be the limit - if you that desperate for a drink, get a lift or a taxi