So has anyone felt any gains yet from V-Power??

silver75

Big Ron
Reaction score
0.2 ron more than Optimax anyone felt the vast improvement yet? :laugh:

Off tomorrow so i am off for a spin in the car and will see if i can feel an extra G with the 0.2 Ron:racer:

Tried it a few times, can't tell a difference TBH.

I know the Astra would like it.

i've run it on a few tanks of the stuff, no real difference from opti. V power sounds better too :)

Very slight mid range but nothing major from optimax. I think its the things it does that you dont feel that is the benefit for your car. Can deffo feel a difference from normal unleaded.

silver75 said:
0.2 ron more than Optimax anyone felt the vast improvement yet? :laugh:

Live in Germany, used to use Optimax with my old 1.6 FSI A3, did make quite a bit of difference compared to regular stuff...think its 98 RON.

Rev-head said:
Lucky man i am looking at 1.06 were i am robbing feckers

wtf its 96.6 where i am in hemel !

I've been running Ultimate in my car for the last few months (old shell garage near me is now turning in to a hotel) but filled up with v power at the weekend and took a spirited drive up north. I noticed a difference in responsiveness and also thought my car felt better near the top end. 103.9 here in West London though!

Hard to know really when we changed to V-Power though isn't it as they started stocking at various garages over a few weeks. Then they'd be topping up the tanks with some Optimax still in there, same when you come to fill up the car. Only way to do a real comparison would be such a pain in the @rse you'd never bother.

At least it's only 101.9 in Chesterfield, down a whole penny from when Optimax branded.

I am still using Tesco's 99ron.... anyone got any comments / thoughts (not clean for engine etc.) and if I need to stop / flit between this and V.power....

Tone def... Where abouts in Chezzie is the V.Power.... ? I will keep and eye out for ya as I am also in Chezzie.

As far as i am lead to believe Supermarket fuel is not as refined as main brand petrolium dealers like BP and Shell. Tesco dont put money into developing cleaner more efficient fuels where as BP & Shell do and i would doubt they would just hand over the refined fuel to the likes of Tesco and that.
My car deffo feels sluggish when i stick supermarket fuel in it compared to Optimax\V-Power\BP Ultimate. Not as much of a difference between the normal unleaded.

hop2407 said:
Tone def... Where abouts in Chezzie is the V.Power.... ? I will keep and eye out for ya as I am also in Chezzie.

I live in Woodthorpe on the way out to J30, where are you?

V-Power from the Red House in Heath as it's the only Shell left near here unless I use the motorway services. I used the BP garage in town for a while when I was running the Corrado but it was better on Optimax so I just got into the habit of going there, which Tesco stocks 99, I've never tried it?

tonedef said:
I live in Woodthorpe on the way out to J30, where are you?

V-Power from the Red House in Heath as it's the only Shell left near here unless I use the motorway services. I used the BP garage in town for a while when I was running the Corrado but it was better on Optimax so I just got into the habit of going there, which Tesco stocks 99, I've never tried it?

Aahhh Woodthorpe... ok.... I'm in the main town centre (well Just outside - Newbold)... and made many a trip to Red House.... as you say, only Shell left around here.

As for 99 ron - The main (big) Tesco on the roundabout on the Chesterfield bypass (toward Sheffield).....

Might see you around then....

hop2407 said:
Aahhh Woodthorpe... ok.... I'm in the main town centre (well Just outside - Newbold)... and made many a trip to Red House.... as you say, only Shell left around here.

As for 99 ron - The main (big) Tesco on the roundabout on the Chesterfield bypass (toward Sheffield).....

Might see you around then....

Hop, I'll look out for you, might even try some of that Tesco stuff in the Corrado see how that likes it first.

If you see a black S3 with black windows and RS4's it's probably me (or my wife) as there can't be all that many in Chezzie I guess

Beerzo said:
As far as i am lead to believe Supermarket fuel is not as refined as main brand petrolium dealers like BP and Shell. Tesco dont put money into developing cleaner more efficient fuels where as BP & Shell do and i would doubt they would just hand over the refined fuel to the likes of Tesco and that.
My car deffo feels sluggish when i stick supermarket fuel in it compared to Optimax\V-Power\BP Ultimate. Not as much of a difference between the normal unleaded.

It's not the fuel itself that is the difference, it's in the additives. The RON is basically a measure of chemical energy and this stuff is all sold to the spec and doesn't miss it. The crude oil is fractioned in the distillation column into it's separate components, based on the number of carbon atoms in the hydrocarbon molecule (octane = 8). It's distilled, and the bigger molecules cracked into smaller ones but then goes off to either a) blending tanks to be mixed with the chemical additives (which is where the technology is) or b) shipped via pipeline/tanker to a distribution facility (like that Buncefield) where the chemicals are mixed up in tanks there. Then it's off into tankers to the forecourt.

All the money and research goes into the chemical additives, and I doubt that the supermarket have their own fuel research labs. They just buy/license the science off the BPs, Shells, ExxonMobils and sell it. Not all BP petrol comes from BP refineries - it's to save on logistics, e.g. we'll give you 1 million gallons from Scotland if you give us 1 million gallons in Southampton (though I'm sure there will be some haggling on price there). It's the same with supermarket washing powder - 1 million boxes a day can be packaged - do you think they have the time to change over what they are packaging?

Mike

I have given this fuel a good run thru on my NA 1.8 and can honestly say i have noticed a difference, the car feels smoother mid range and a tad more eager to pull, even the mrs noticed,lol

Mid range seems smoother still hitting 15MPG thou.....(town journeys and fast ones)..