UK Cannon Ball

r666dub

Reaction score
This IS going to be organised for next year. Looking for 100 hard core cars and drivers to enter with a prize of 2-3k. Entrance fee will be £50 with a paid after party for all who enter and help.

Date yet to be confirmed, but looking at late show season next year.

Just looking for a general concensus on who might be interested.

Hi I'm interested as too who is organising this, I've encountered some of the organisers of so called races in the past and found them dubious to say the least!
Just want to make sure this is all above board for our members, if you could please clarify /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cannon Ball in the UK - you've got to be kidding. If you drive anywhere en masse in this country where there are open spaces - Wales, Scotland, the Lakes, Northumberland, the South West - you get collared by revenue greedy Police. Elsewhere you just sit in traffic.

The only place to do it is in Continental Europe - the empty tree-lined roads of France, down to the med and over to Spain and Portugal. That would cost serious money to organise and participate in, plus a week's holiday.

I certainly wouldn't contemplate this in Britain - looking over my shoulder and round the next bend every other second, plus you can't do anything like that in this country without the media finding out. Anti-car lobby hysteria.

Dream on.

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
I'd go as a passenger but not risking the points - police are everywhere!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now there's an offer lads!

OK, this is going to take a year to sort out and then there will be a single reminder closer to the time. All correspondence will be done by e-mail and then there will be a pre meeting a month before.

Please remember the more the entry fees the bigger the prize, and the better party we can have afterwards. It may even get opened up to the Ford and Jap boys. We do need 100 cars to have decent winnings. If we can only muster 50 then the entry fee will also have to go up.

This is a serious event, so if you think you are hard-core enough, and more importantly your car and driving skills are up to the challenge then please enter.

If you are interested, please send me a mail to morganvw1@hotmail.com and i will add you to the list.

No, organising such an event is illegal.

No money will change hands until meeting a month before. But you have to be serious about entering this event. A lot of money will be go into organising the event.

m8 I'd love to, but come on this is the UK. The police here are ANAL about speeding. (Yes they seem to overlook something called bad driving and driver education). Anyway I digress, but they will get wind of this and totally nail anyone who's caught and privvy to organisational information /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Well I suppose that the risk involved. All info on routes location and anything else will only be given out on the night before the race.

You will be given an hour to prepare your rout with the co-driver.

The meeting the month before is so that everyone can give in their subs and it will allow me to put some of the money to good use, for merchandise (UK Cannon ball base ball caps and stickers), the booking of a venue for the after party etc...

[ QUOTE ]
r666dub said:

No money will change hands until meeting a month before. But you have to be serious about entering this event. A lot of money will be go into organising the event.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's a race then?

I just want to lend my support to r666dub, I recognise who it is and have met with this person many times before, although I can understand why, there is no need to be quite so sceptical of this new member/poster.

That doesnt mean that I think the event would work, I need my licence for my work and am not sure if I could justify putting myself and my licence at what would undoubtbley be a greater risk than general driving. Even if the route is not publicised, some of the general public will inform the police of the route the cars are taking. You would also have to make sure that the police dont pretend to enter, I saw them using a Red Ferrari as a police car on the M1 near Northampton a couple of weeks ago! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I went to a legal cruise in Birmingham on Saturday night, and although for about 15 minutes there were around 200 cars in the Tamworth service area, who didnt mind us being there as there was no trouble at all (and they were making money from everybody in the shop) some kind members of the public had took it on themselves to contact the police, as it happens we were all gone before they arrived anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

I have to admit though, even knowing the consequences, that I am still tempted to enter, it has never stopped me before!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif (lets just say the vmax limiter works)

[ QUOTE ]
Matthewbaldry said:You would also have to make sure that the police dont pretend to enter, I saw them using a Red Ferrari as a police car on the M1 near Northampton a couple of weeks ago!

[/ QUOTE ]

The ******** Absolute ********. A mainly law obiding lord such as myself should not have such a feeling of disdain for the police, but with tactics like that I feel anger for them. Especially after my brothers car was stolen and they weren't even interested in reviewing any CCTV footage.

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
A mainly law obiding lord such as myself should not have such a feeling of disdain for the police, but with tactics like that I feel anger for them. Especially after my brothers car was stolen and they weren't even interested in reviewing any CCTV footage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lord of what - self assembly?

Anyway, you should have told them there were a couple of speeders on the CCTV footage. That would have made them look! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I think the way forward is to have a 3-point event with an overall time.

I will do the route in advance in a fairly quick time. I may need to make some adjustments to my speed over the duration of the event. The time that I complete the event will be the time everyone should aim to match.

The closest time to this will get the top prize with 2nd getting £200 and 3rd getting £100.

This way it would mean that all who entered would stand a chance of matching the time. This makes it less of a race, and more down to the skills of the driver.

What to you all think....

I could not believe my eyes, it was just north of the Newport Pagnell services on the M1, think it was a 355. It had pulled over with an accident (two foreign trucks, two cars) and an ambulance, there was a blue light bar stuck onto the roof with a rubber pad (they must put this on when they stop) and fixed blue lights in the rear window. As I understand it this would be Northmptonshire Police, no wonder we are first to have all the new speed camera technology!

I have moaned on here many times before about Northamptonshire police/speed camers, maybe now you guys/girl will relise what I meant.

And they wonder why I have a laser jammer..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I want my S2 back, we battered a 355 F1 in that little beauty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

What's the story with the jammer's though, I read that the new police laser gun's have jammer detectors - I worry it would end you up in more trouble than the speeding would :s

[ QUOTE ]
Matthewbaldry said:
I could not believe my eyes, it was just north of the Newport Pagnell services on the M1, think it was a 355. It had pulled over with an accident (two foreign trucks, two cars) and an ambulance, there was a blue light bar stuck onto the roof with a rubber pad (they must put this on when they stop) and fixed blue lights in the rear window. As I understand it this would be Northmptonshire Police, no wonder we are first to have all the new speed camera technology!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've told a mate of mine on the Sunday Times about this. I'll let you know if he's interested in doing anything with the story.

This sounds like the classic game Outrun or something out of Miami Vice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Still the idea does sound interesting.....

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
What's the story with the jammer's though, I read that the new police laser gun's have jammer detectors - I worry it would end you up in more trouble than the speeding would :s

[/ QUOTE ]

I had heard that only one person has ever been prosecuted for using one, I think thats fairly good odds really. The LRC100 that I have shuts itself down after 5 seconds, so the idea is that they still get a speed reading it just gives you a chance to slow down first. If they do get a reading in the end I bet it would be difficult for them to get a prosecution for it.

You also have to be a bit weary of information that the police put out about this sort of thing. They do bluff their way through a lot of things.

A lot of doubt exits in the mind of motorists regarding speed cameras, for example an old fashioned gatso can only take pictures from the rear, but nearly everyone will slow down even if they are travelling towards it on the opposite side of the road. The police tend to play on this area of doubt, they dont publicly tell anybody how speed cameras work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Yeah I know what you mean - I just read on ukspeedtraps and emailed the guy that runs it - apparantly the new laser guns tell the coppers you have a jammer... even if it does shut down for x minutes etc.

Although it could be a police bluff :s

i know this is a bit off topic but has anyone got a road angel? is it any good and wot does it detect i.e gatso, specs? i also heard it can detect radar. i know it works on gps so how can it detect mobile radar traps?

I've got a road angel but it doesn't do radar - you can buy a laser attachment which picks up laser guns though (and coincidentally I am selling mine - the laser bit, not the whole road angel).

Got my RA from ebay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry, it's sold already!

Yep the RA is good, just remember to update the db. The beeping is a bit annoying as well - instead of beeping intermittently while you are approaching a hazard, it just keeps on going but getting quicker and quicker all the time!

[ QUOTE ]
r666dub said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Er...what about Gumball, Cannon Ball Europe etc. etc. don't think they are doing anything illegal

All R666DUB maybe fill in your profile a big more and then people know about you etc. etc.

good Luck with the organising

would be funny to enter, but would get a driving ban if stopped by police.