Fixing Crash Damage (By Wife!)

benben5555

Reaction score
Hi All,

My wife bumped the back of someone, the grille was damaged (by the other car's tow bar) and the other car was fine so we didn't go to the insurance company. I bought a new grille and went to fit it yesterday and found this!!!

Photo

Damage includes: bent crash bar, bent crash bar support bracket, parking sensor loom destroyed, headlight washers smashed, washer hose split.

Main problem is that where the crash bar has bent it has also bent the chassis where the crash bar bracket connects to the car. Has anyone got any ideas on how I can bend this back into shape to accept a new baracket? There is a metal plate on the end of the chassis with 4 bolts holes and these are pulled in all different directions, some forward, some back. I am planning on hammering the pulled forward ones into position, but what about the ones that are pushed back?

Thanks

Well the pic is not working but by the sounds of it you need to get it put on a jig and pulled straight

Well the pic is not working but by the sounds of it you need to get it put on a jig and pulled straight

As above, you need to re jig the chassis to make sure it's straight. Hammering it may work, but sounds a bit bodge to me, but good luck.

she must have hit it hard
pics not working
what car is it ?

Pic seems to be working now!

Thanks for the advice, I won't be using a jig, the damage to the chassis is minor, think a metal plate being bent 5mm out, I'm just going to use brute force I think :)

I'd be happy forcing that plate back in from the pic. It will just be the plate that's tweaked. The rest of the chassis will be fine imho