Antivirus software

pflowers

Reaction score
hi, can anyone reccommend any decent (free) anti virus software I can download. I am using Norton at the moment and it appears useless.

Any help appreciated.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

havent got the link to hand but try computer acive web site sure they have got suggestions

Get AVG free edition... One of the most popular free antivirus program... Do a google search for it..

[ QUOTE ]
Get AVG free edition... One of the most popular free antivirus program... Do a google search for it..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah dickys correct, Ive been using AVG for about 5 years without a hitch and it gives free updates, its even worth upgrading to full version.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

I also use this, very good and highly recommended /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AVG works well, and has picked up stuff Symantec has missed.

[ QUOTE ]
AVG works well, and has picked up stuff Symantec has missed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most Anti Virus software picks up stuff Symantec have missed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Avast detected 4 trojans on my pc after i had made the change!!!

Thanks very much everyone, I have gone with AVG and sure enough it has picked up several that symantec missed pc seems much better now, although my email has stopped working .....any ideas ?

[ QUOTE ]
How do you mean stopped working?

Can't send/receive?

What are you using?

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kev, I have five email addresses, when you send/recieve in outlook express it puts a red cross by each and says it can't connect to server. I removed the AVG software and it worked fine, reloaded it and it stopped working again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have the same problem with AVG / outlook express, it's as if my email server wont accept AVG, my other PC's have Norton and they work fine with outlook express.

have you tried doing a custom install, and unselecting the email scanning option?

[ QUOTE ]
have you tried doing a custom install, and unselecting the email scanning option?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

If not upgrade to Outlook, I use that with AVG and have no problems at all.

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just did a custom install without email scanning, works fine, thanks again.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

AVG for virus protection and zonealarm for firewall for me

norton i found was a system hog and mcafee kept making my broadband drop

just disable the inbound or outbound email scanning. you might need to disable both.