SAFC

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Well, I really didn't see that one coming. Martin O'Neill sacked with seven games left to save the club from relegation. According to the morning's news, early contenders to replace him are Paulo DiCanio, Brian McDermott, Steve McLaren and Mark Hughes. My thoughts on those four are:

Paulo DiCanio – talented but self-absorbed and completely mad
Brian McDermott – a good, honest, Championship manager
Steve McLaren – a lot of negative baggage in England but a decent track record as a club manager
Mark Hughes.- hopelessly over-rated.

Not much room for optimism there, is there?

Over to you, BigWillyStyle

Jeez if the legend that is Martin O'Neill cannot help you then who can :sadlike:

He looked like a man who was troubled, and it may well turn out to be a good thing for him that the decision was taken from him. I can only assume the stress he was clearly suffering was causing issues at the club, which led to a decision of better off without a manager than with a stress head of a manager.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is in the running according to Sky Bet :)

Anyway, it is an awful league to be a manager in unless your initials are AF.

Employ a caretaker manager until the summer and if they stay up then either....

1) Take Rafa. For all his (mainly verbal) faults he knows how to build a solid team. Or...

2) Pray that QPR go down and then take Harry.

Sacked with 7 games to go?? WTF!
Pointless imo, they were 14th in Jan, 16th today. If you want someone to turn it around then Jan is the time to change. If not, then leave him in charge. As for Rafa, firstly SAFC is way below him ( no offence meant there, that would be his opinion), secondly, he WAS good 10 yrs ago, got a couple of lucky breaks, 3 down to Milan but remember he started with Kewell who was not fit and his form was absolutely dire. Stevie G, Carra, Dudek, Xabi, Hamann (who he shoulda started with) got him that result, oh, and some poor misses by Milan.
Look at Chelsea now, just what Liverpool were glad to see the back of, a manager swapping and changing in-form players EVERY game. Torres starting again, not able to hit a barn door with a banjo, Ba on the bench with Hazard. Rafa's only there for the coin.
Stick an interim in there for now and give the players a kick up the ars*, they are paid to deliver, not a bad bunch of players but they need to be accountable to.

Bit harsh to be sacked after losing to the champions elect and after losing 2 top scores for the season.

Looks like it'll be DiCanio

Apparently, he was at the stadium all day today.

Oh, well, it won’t be boring; and it might even work.

He's actually waving to his Mum in the crowd........... ha ha ha ha ha ha
5bebce81187076f21a36d81da29039ed_zpscedaac1f.jpg

The badge says it all.......
6b7ded5f499950fa3df960691ae61d93_zpse846885c.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder what Sir Alex's political party is ? or Harry Redknapp ? or Paul Lambert ?

Who gives a flying **** its the football we are interested in,sometimes I wonder if its the media running this so called democracy.

true... true..... it is after all run by the dark force that is SKY..... there I said it, I feel better......

ha ha ha ha h aha h aha ha aha ha......actually laughing out loud

Apparently Sunderland are trying a new formation this weekend....

11 Right Wingers....:tumble:

Reactions: robbiemac
the real Northeast/Lazio connection......... 'The phantom of a great footballer is here'
744869469e6b5ed3a3443d64703a7d71_zpsc7b8ad51.jpg

Newcastle vs Sunderland can't wait, both need the points....... predict blood and guts. No chance finishing 11 v 11

Newcastle vs Sunderland can't wait, both need the points....... predict blood and guts. No chance finishing 11 v 11

This. We may be on opposite sides, but I agree entirely this will be a war of attrition. Form will be irrelevant.