The TA

James TQ

Reaction score
is anyone on here part the the territorial army or ever done it?

i want to join and one day look to join the forces, i currently work in an office 5 days a week and at the age of 19 its boring to say the least so the TA a few nights a week would brighten things up, i don't want to be an old man and have no stories of my youth, the older generation have have endless stories on there experiences in the armed forces, my grandfather was in the MOD and i want to have stories of my own one day not i worked in an office most of my life!

so im just after you guys first hand experiences of the forces :)

meant to be in general chat if someone could move it please :)

Last edited:
Hahaha..... James don't you worry..... Whether you work in an office or join the TA.... You will still have plenty of stories to tell when you are older.....lol.... The naivety of youth....lol

i know, but not just that, i cant stand working indoors, idealy... want to join the fire service but there not recruiting in my county the TA will be a career not just a job, i get up go do my 9-5 over and over same old boring days

Lol.... You want a job like mine....
0394C2D1-D65C-4728-9063-8988E755860B-1731-000000D088893967.jpg

sign me up my friend, you a rig repair bloke thing? lol

hit the nail on the head then? looks like a good job

Hi mate I was in the ta when I was 16 for 2 years then joined the regular army did 4 years including ta service been out quite a while now not a bad career choice although I was in the infantry if I had my time again I would have learned a trade I'm an electrician now on civvi street but don't regret it one bit!! Good luck

hi james i am serving at the mo full time have do 16 years to present if you wish to now any thing else please pm me and glad to talk about it with you jason

i was just after personal experiances, going to join the TA then look into a career a little further down the line

If you want stories to tell your grandchildren go and live in Luton for a year.

james all i can say is that i have had a good career in the army and have never looked back in joining very one has there own experiences and see different parts off the world doing sorting things but joining is not for the faint hearted if you want to join you most want this for you and not do it for someone else our other people really but as you now the army is going throw alot of changes and the ta are starting to get more involved with the regular army so you my not even need to go across and what job did you want to do also

wanted to join the fire service, i wanted to try the ta to get a feel for it to see then if its a career for me rather then joining and not being able to get out

oh not entierly sure, im going to attend a meeting in the marine reserves, had a look into that and you can persue a career in a spechiality, eg mechanics... just looking across the board at the mo

marines good choose but if you want to do a trade ie mechanics why not try the reme (royal electrical mechanical engineers)

because im in full time work at the moment so i can only train some evening and weekends

Hi JamesTQ. I recently retired from the RAF after 22 years. Was an aeronautical engineer on fast jets dealing with the hydraulics, pneumatics, systems, aero engines/gearboxes - a rigger as we are called within the RAF. Had a ball over my 22 years and saw alot of the world including the places you dont wanna really go to but went to alot of places that you would love to go to. Overall it was great but the last few years got a little tiring listening and watching the military diminish due to cost-cutting and penny-pinching. After 22 years it was time to bow out and enjoy something else. Whatever force you go into in the next year you will more than likely go on ops over in sunnier and sandier climates. If you wanna go down the RAF route go in as an engineer or if you like the sound of you own voice an officer or rupert as the army call them.....either way you get a good trade to fall back on.

Hi JamesTQ. I recently retired from the RAF after 22 years. Was an aeronautical engineer on fast jets dealing with the hydraulics, pneumatics, systems, aero engines/gearboxes - a rigger as we are called within the RAF. Had a ball over my 22 years and saw alot of the world including the places you dont wanna really go to but went to alot of places that you would love to go to. Overall it was great but the last few years got a little tiring listening and watching the military diminish due to cost-cutting and penny-pinching. After 22 years it was time to bow out and enjoy something else. Whatever force you go into in the next year you will more than likely go on ops over in sunnier and sandier climates. If you wanna go down the RAF route go in as an engineer or if you like the sound of you own voice an officer or rupert as the army call them.....either way you get a good trade to fall back on.

i couldnt think of many things better then that as a career, im hoping after the training in a year or more it wont be afgan ect as they have a date set to pull all troops from there by 2014... but it will probably move to syria... just have to see whats on offer

I work there, fed up with the drunken loonies who sit in the town centre all day long shouting abuse.
Thats probably me I will have to look out for u lol I live just outside Luton don't really go to the town centre but there are some nice parts

I was 24 before i decided to join the army. It was more along the lines of "if i dont now i never will" which made me act.

Took me a little time to get in as the recession had just started and everyone was trying to get in but its the best decision i ever made, despite breaking my knee training earlier last year lol!
Been in 3 years so far and will probably stick it out for 12.

Just be warned, its a culture shock - you have zero control over your own life. If the army want you somewhere you go.
But the fun you have outweighs that by far.

TA wise i cant comment, but ive met a TA lad to transfered over. Got promoted to LCPL not long after basic as he was a CPL in the TA. Joined regs because he loved the life.