Speeding - Notice Of Intended Prosecution???

S3needer

Reaction score
Hello all,
I know I was speeding and hence do not desverve sympathy, but I do have a question...

I have received a notice of intended prosecution (for doing 62 on a 50 dual carriageway) and my car insurance is up for renewal in 33 days. If I can drag out getting the points until after my renewal date its gonna save me £150 on my premium.

My question is does anyone know what the time-scale is like from receiving the NIP to actually getting the points added to your license? is it realistic for me to be able to drag this out for the 33 days i need? Or doenst it matter because the date of the offence was before my insurance renewal date?

Thanx,
Nick

It is in my opinion that points on your license don't need to be declared until they are actually on it, not sure if you need to tell them that you have a speeding offence pending though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Welcome to the Forum BTW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hope your speeding offence doesn't effect you still wanting an S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

When you renew your insurance, you have a contractual duty to disclose any material information. An NIP is material information. If you fail to disclose it, and the insurer finds out afterwards, it will be within its rights to void the policy.

Do you want to take that risk?

Thanks for the warm welcome Jojo!
I should update my username as I am now the proud owner of a late 2001 black S3, 34000 miles, one lady owner!, alu mirrors, cruise, auto dip mirror, air bag upgrade (well, i think its an upgrade, the're ****** everywhere!) and Bose (which has already been andymac sub'ed!) £15500 - which may be a little high but its in great condition. AnyMac said its the best condition S3 hes seen, and i'm sure he's seen a few!

Am a little scared of the speeding fine as this will give me 6 in total...

[ QUOTE ]
When you renew your insurance, you have a contractual duty to disclose any material information. An NIP is material information. If you fail to disclose it, and the insurer finds out afterwards, it will be within its rights to void the policy.

Do you want to take that risk?

[/ QUOTE ]

i wasnt planning on taking 'the risk' as I will inform my insurance co. as soon as the points go onto the license. I believe thats standard procedure? I am not planning on witholding information....

Many insurers will ask if you have any convictions/points or anything pending.

With insurance you should always play it safe. The fact that you're asking about it (and getting responses) seems to me to make it a material fact.

The rule of thumb that is applied is whether the insurer was given the chance to properly consider its offer of insurance to you. As you have a pending case against you for speeding then they should be given the opportunity to take this into account.

Most insurance companies will ask about any pending penalty points.

Given that the effective date of the points on your licencse is the date of the offence, your insurance company will easily find out that you have withheld information.

I would say that you're better off declaring the points as they don't normally make that much difference to the premiums, but denying a claim because you withheld information that they asked about will cost you a lot more!

IIRC, most companies will ask you if u have any convictions, which you have, so you would have to say yes, and then they will ask u if it resulted in any points, which it has, even though they are not on your licence yet. I was in the same position last year.

Just be up front with the insurers, at the end of the day, if a large claim is made, they will investigate quite thoroughly and look for any small loop holes to void it.

I heard of a guy who wrote of his car, the insurers located the advert from which he bought the car from and it stated the car was lowered, this was not declard and insurance void.

Another guy had a conviction for ABH, this was not declared, and again void.

[ QUOTE ]
IIRC, most companies will ask you if u have any convictions, which you have, so you would have to say yes, and then they will ask u if it resulted in any points, which it has, even though they are not on your licence yet. I was in the same position last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlucky speeding and getting caught thats so unlucky 3 points was it?

yea it was 3 points, and £60 fine, not bothered as points went on my mums licence and she doesn't drive even tho she has a licence, and the insurance didn't really go up

[ QUOTE ]
yea it was 3 points, and £60 fine, not bothered as points went on my mums licence and she doesn't drive even tho she has a licence, and the insurance didn't really go up

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did the points go onto your Mum's licence? Was she driving, or were you?

Sounds like a case of perverting the course of justice.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did the points go onto your Mum's licence? Was she driving, or were you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, can't remember now

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, being economical

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, being economical

[/ QUOTE ]

...with the truth? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just that. It sounds more like conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.