Monster MotorsportChris Nott

Thread: 2Mb internet

Reverse Gear

Status

2Mb internet

well it was posted a few weeks ago, we all knew it was coming. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif[/img]

upon returning to my comp, this eve i had been disconnected from the internet, so upon reconnection it now reads connected at 2.2Mbps.......[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif[/img]

oh my the wonders of technology......Amen to broadband by BT.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif[/img]

Ross [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status

Re: 2Mb internet

[ QUOTE ]
    well it was posted a few weeks ago, we all knew it was coming. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif[/img]

upon returning to my comp, this eve i had been disconnected from the internet, so upon reconnection it now reads connected at 2.2Mbps.......[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif[/img]

oh my the wonders of technology......Amen to broadband by BT.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

BT Broadband! how much you paying for that?

6th Gear

Status

Nice one Ross i'm still waiting unfortunatley!!!Great the way they have upped it to 2Meg and dropped the price to 24.99 a month but then they half the bloody download limit to 15 GIG!!! Give with one hand and take with the other! Gits [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

Pipex are also doubling their Bandwidth in line with BT. Not sure if it's just Pipex or if all of them are doing it...

Anyway, there are NO download limits with Pipex [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif[/img] which is why i swapped when BT introduced the capping [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif[/img] ...

Ade

Neutral

Status

I was told that there were no download limits, with Pipex, but when I read the smallprint, it had a 10Gig limit, but I could pay for more if required. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was told that there were no download limits, with Pipex, but when I read the smallprint, it had a 10Gig limit, but I could pay for more if required. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be on the Solo Lite package..... If you need to download more then i would upgrade your package.... I've downloaded about 22Gb [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] this week already so it's definatly not capped...

http://www.solo.pipex.net/specifications-pricing/

Ade

imported_CurryMilkShake

Hee Hee - I'm lucky enough to have it provided by work, so have been sat on a 2MB unrestricted commercial (not domestic, so much much lower contention ratio) link, static IP as well, at home for the last year!

Not boasting at all, of course..

But service from FastNet (based in Brighton) is absolutely superb! (quite right too, so it should be for the money, even if Im not paying!)

and as usual, as Im sure you will find, that whole "Wow thats fast" feeling will last possible even a whole evening, before you are used to it and hankering for more.. I'm told in Germany you can get up to 44Mb at home..

6th Gear

Status

THat must cost ur company a fortune mate! 44 MB connection thats mental...i knwo the have 20 Megs connection in France for nearly same as what we pay here for 2 meg ...as usual we get ripped off!

Reverse Gear

Status

They have reduced my price to 27, but my download limit is still set at 30GB, which will do me for now!!

There are some silly connection speeds about!! when i was at univ a few years ago we were on a 10mbps connection, and that was silly quick, i could download DVD movies in about 10 minutes, it was quicker than going to blockbuster, and cheaper!!!

Cant imagine what a 20Mbps is like not to mention 44Mbps!!

imported_CurryMilkShake

it costs 100 pcm...

bit better value than the 16,000pa I pay at our main site still for just a 2MB link - but is a full leased line, so no contention at all, 1:1, guaranteed performance (2000k) as a permanent state of affairs and its 2000k upload as well.. with no restrictions..

SDSL wasnt available when I put it in, but tell you what, 2Mb leased line vs 2MB adsl - no comparison! Blistering and no variation whatsoever, rock solid..

Have been at the ISP themselves, where the staff desktops are sat directly on the 100Mb backbone - Internet access at 100MB is really something - but so few sites will let you d/l at more than 2Mb (for load balancing purposes) that its not as much better as youd think!

(yep, i keep telling myself all of that..!)

6th Gear

Status

Yeah i was going to say that as even Telewest have 4Meg out and at the moment its pointless as you can not get the transfer dl rate from very many sites. Should improve over time. Still ve nice to have though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

aol has doubled theirs aswell. your all lucky im still waiting for broadband! 56k is so slow!!!!

Uber Post Whore

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    aol has doubled theirs aswell. your all lucky im still waiting for broadband! 56k is so slow!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

What have they done, just asking as i'm on aol broadband. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

* J e d i *

Status

I called Pipex they are also upgrading 1mb to 2mb but not for 6 months.
    1mb is fast anyway though so [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What have they done, just asking as i'm on aol broadband. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

well my sister and mum are on aol and in july their getting doubled up 512mb-1gb and 1gb-2gb sorry to get your hopes up it will be a while yet. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

6th Gear

Status

Anyone on AOL i would advise them to get BT or telewest as AOL are crap IMO [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

Uber Post Whore

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone on AOL i would advise them to get BT or telewest as AOL are crap IMO [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Trur, very true. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

Just can't be bothered to change about 5 email address though. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif[/img]

6th Gear

Status

Yeah i have my 2 meg now....can notice the difference straight away! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

I'm gutted.

Heard BT were upgrading their users, me being one of them, only to find out our line can only support 512k [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Boooooooo

6th Gear

Status

Ah man thats cack!!!! Sorry noodle thats a raw deal man! Im sure your exchange will be upgraded in time then u will get 1 meg or 2 meg then! Bad luck though mate [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel

Mine was done today, WWWWOOOHHHOO

Thanks BT

6th Gear

Status

Checked mine last night and YES Well done BT Sweet.
    2288 K connection
    228 Up still sucks though.

6th Gear

Status

Yeah i know they really need to sort out their uploading speeds but im happy with the download so far! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif[/img]

6th Gear

Status

Depends on what you are going to be doing. If you will be D/L more than 15GB a month the i would go with Plus Net. 15GB is a lot of D/L if you are a basic internet user. Unles you are D/L 15 1GB files!!!!!!

imported_CurryMilkShake

Only way to increase the upload speed is to go either SDSL, or Leased line..

SDSL gives the same max upload speed as download, which is a big plus for webcams, file transfers, limited hosting etc but IS still subject to the same contention ratio issues as ADSL.. Expensive though, so you really need to NEED it - for example Easynet are charging 250 install (discounted from 995!) and 149 per month for a 512k SDSL! 299 per month for 2MB SDSL.. Not a fan of Easynet anyway, but its there as an example..

Leased line is great, no contention ang guaranteed bandwidth 100% of the time, full 2Mb both directions.. but at anything from 10k to 20k pa depending on your physical location..

We may knock it but basically ADSL is b***y good value!!!!

Fastnet 01273 662888 in Brighton, Small business ISP of the year several years running, TOP service, cracking performance, may not be the cheapest, but as anyone who has experienced NTL or AOL is likely to confirm, poor support more than negates the pleasure of cost savings!
    Tell them I sent you...!

Regards
    Ben Woodbridge